PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Advice

Wicked Mower
07-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Okay, so I started up my lawn/landscaping business back up again this year, after being out for a few years. Now in the next couple of years, I wouldn't mind adding irrigation. I have read the sticky note about getting into the business, but reading books only go so far. I need hands on experience from a professional I think. Would they be weary of training me, because I am already an established business, and they would consider me competition? Any advice?

Duekster
07-21-2012, 01:24 PM
I think that in many cases they would not want to train the competition. Dealers often have trained professionals which can offer some insight.

Repairing needs little experiance but don't expect your clients to pay for your education.

grassman177
07-21-2012, 01:39 PM
i took design in college, and then had a buddy in the bus help train me in repairs etc, the rest is learned from exp or a book etc.

you may be able to find someone to train you, but do one thing, dont be a hack with design. i deal with too much of crappy design to handle lol

GreenI.A.
07-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Learn as much as you can from books, websites (manufacturers and lawnsite), check with distributors for training. When you do land some installs check about subbing them out to a qualified irrigator. See about working a deal where you can work beside him on the installs you sub him on. He might be willing to allow you to look over his shoulder since you brought him the job.

txirrigation
07-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Learn as much as you can from books, websites (manufacturers and lawnsite), check with distributors for training. When you do land some installs check about subbing them out to a qualified irrigator. See about working a deal where you can work beside him on the installs you sub him on. He might be willing to allow you to look over his shoulder since you brought him the job.

This. Start with repairs and work your way up.

irritation
07-21-2012, 10:21 PM
You can ride around with me but you would have no time for mowing.

Wicked Mower
07-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will have a look see through some books this winter, when its sh&%ty out, and maybe do one for myself in my yard, first. But, I will keep an hear to the ground about training through some of the distributors. have a good one.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-22-2012, 01:13 PM
This. Start with repairs and work your way up.

Sure helps to have a good grasp on installation methods before repairing. I've solved many a repair job by contemplating how the system would have been trenched.