PDA

View Full Version : "tree roaches"

grassmasterswilson
07-21-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm having a problem with what I call tree roaches or brown roaches. they are about 1-1.5 inches long and reddish-brown. I see them mostly at night in the house.

We have a pest company that treats every quarter and they did an inside treatment about 6 weeks ago. We have been in the house about a year so I don't know if treatments were done previously.

I'm looking for some things I can do myself between treatments. The wife freaks out at the sight of bugs.

I am licsensed so I can get just about anything. So anyone got any ideas? A bifen spray? traps? inside treatments?

Landscape Poet
07-21-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm having a problem with what I call tree roaches or brown roaches. they are about 1-1.5 inches long and reddish-brown. I see them mostly at night in the house.

We have a pest company that treats every quarter and they did an inside treatment about 6 weeks ago. We have been in the house about a year so I don't know if treatments were done previously.

I'm looking for some things I can do myself between treatments. The wife freaks out at the sight of bugs.

I am licsensed so I can get just about anything. So anyone got any ideas? A bifen spray? traps? inside treatments?

Not sure because the pest is not been identified for sure but my guess is that you would not want to use a repellent like bifen could drive them into your walls? What about something like fipronil? Again assuming they are on your label - that way they not only take it back to others but when they kick the bucket and the others eat him they kick the bucket etc etc?

RigglePLC
07-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Local advice is better. Around here fipronil bait is a good bet. Bait traps are safer for kids and pets. They cannot get to the active ingredient.
I suspect the American cockroach. They are big. The locals probably have a special name for them. Tie a thread to their back; you can probably get them to pull you on a skateboard. Need about a hundred.
http://www.google.com/search?q=american+cockroach&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nBsLUNHlCsSnrQGY-7XFCg&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=933

44DCNF
07-22-2012, 12:11 AM
a couple organic approaches

http://www.asktheexterminator.com/cockroach/Organic_Cockroach_Control.shtml

boric acid, cocoa powder and powdered sugar in jar lids

bug-guy
07-22-2012, 08:16 AM
phantom it comes in 20 bottles and an aerosol can also. it is a non-repellant. it may be alitle slower tha "driving them into the walls" they will come out eventually. bifenthrin products will do a good job outside the home. heavy sprays(alot of water) especially in heavy mulch or leaf litter.

phasthound
07-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Identify the pest before considering treatment.

Think Green
07-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Wilson,
I guess us Southern boys call them wood roaches.
The males of one species is about 1.5 -1.75 inches long. Then on the other species about an inch long. They are usually outside and attracted to interior lights. I often find that wood piles, stumps, wooded areas, debris piles,etc. is where they inhabit, so discourage their hiding places. If you have a traditional foundation around your home you will get these pests. The dark cool crawl spaces is perfect for them. check for water leaks around all plumbing. Make sure this is the wood roach before you seek out insecticides.

cgaengineer
07-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Where I'm originally from we called them Palmetto bugs...Ric will know where I was originally from.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Local advice is better. Around here fipronil bait is a good bet. Bait traps are safer for kids and pets. They cannot get to the active ingredient.
I suspect the American cockroach. They are big. The locals probably have a special name for them. Tie a thread to their back; you can probably get them to pull you on a skateboard. Need about a hundred.
http://www.google.com/search?q=american+cockroach&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nBsLUNHlCsSnrQGY-7XFCg&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=933

Nasty little critters...I hate them. In FL they would eat the glue off of cardboard boxes and postage stamps...not a good feeling to lick a stamp and find it won't stick...yuck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Identify the pest before considering treatment.

Now there is a novel approach that no one else came up with. Why would we want ID the Pest? When we can make the house Glow in the Dark with Chlordane and DDT.

Think Green
07-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Now there is a novel approach that no one else came up with. Why would we want ID the Pest? When we can make the house Glow in the Dark with Chlordane and DDT.

Well,
Since no one mentioned the use of either pesticide you mentioned Ric, I suppose dead roaches wouldn't be the problem anymore.
The illumination coming from the glowing house will be a beacon for the roaches to approach and eventually attracting only the females. Once the females are all deceased then where else would the male wood roach go? They would just wonder around and eventually dispose from a broken heart.
Just kidding RIC..............had to throw in some good humor to your post.