PDA

View Full Version : 4wd front mount mowers

potluckman
07-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Having received very helpful comments here in trying to select zero turn for mowing my large estate which has many steep slopes I have come to the conclusion that no ztr will do what I need. I have since been looking at the JD1545 and New Holland M35/G6035 4wd front deck mowers. My questions are one does any one know how much the deck will swivel up and down during mowing to accommodate sharp slopes. My steepest slope is about 30 degrees (measured) and comes off the side of a drive cut into a hillside so it drops off quickly. My JD 955 with belly mower will handle this but will tear up the sod sometimes if I don't lift the deck.

Second any strong opinions on JD versus New Holland.

Puddle of Oil
07-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Ever heard of a vantrac?

LandFakers
07-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I second the ventrac

orangemower
07-21-2012, 06:24 PM
If money isn't a big issue, I'll third the Ventrac. It's made for the stuff you talk about and will stick to a hill. I'd imagine you'd want the dual wheel kit. They claim it won't tear grass on turns.

pflasch
07-21-2012, 06:47 PM
... and if you were living in almost any country (other than than the US, Canada and Mexico) Husqvarna has some really fantastic 4 wheel drive, articulated units!!

This is there Kubota 25hp diesel units!
(The weight without deck is 1488 pounds)

and the second one is a smaller gas unit!
(The weight without deck is 727 pounds)

The smallest Ventrac, 3000 series, is very nice (from what I've read) and are available here in the US!!

unit28
07-21-2012, 07:44 PM
found these on CL
The Husky is a 970
and the Terracut has heat/AC cab

I'm sure if you need a bigger Husky their global center
could fix ya right up:)

potluckman
07-21-2012, 08:27 PM
No I had not heard of a vantrec but is an interesting machine. Two problems with it is they only have a 60 inch rear discharge and I want a 72 inch and I don't have a dealer close. Wonder if it is possible to double the tires on the JD or New Holland?

CraigPLC
07-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Husqvarna R 322T $5199 http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riders/r-322t-awd/#specifications
Posted via Mobile Device

pflasch
07-21-2012, 08:42 PM
That was an older homeowner Husqvarna mower... check out this video... it's the "entry" model in the commercial line back in 2009.
He lolls like he is having fun... but big, he's all over the place!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FazxsKRm8w&feature=fvwrel

pflasch
07-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Craig, this is one of only 2 units that they will import into the US.

The 322 is the better of the two, but Husqvarna classes it as "homeowner" series.

They make 2 more whole series above the 322... the next is "Landscaper" which is the entry commercial line... and then they made the "Commercial" Front Mount series (my first picture of the P525 - diesel)

They will NOT import either of those into the US... believe me, I've tried!! :-(

pflasch
07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Potluckman... dual rear wheels on the JD? Not possible because it would put too much stress on the trans axle!! Thier farm tractors can do it because they are built for "extended axles"... JD's commercial mowers are not!! Sorry!!

Ventrac IS built for extended axles!

Jimslawncareservice
07-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Potluckman... dual rear wheels on the JD? Not possible because it would put too much stress on the trans axle!! Thier farm tractors can do it because they are built for "extended axles"... JD's commercial mowers are not!! Sorry!!

Ventrac IS built for extended axles!
Posted via Mobile Device

He never said rear axles. Deere does have a dual axle kit for the 1400 and 1500 series. I believe it only works with 72" decks as the 60"&62" decks wouldn't have enough room on the right side of the deck.

Ridin' Green
07-21-2012, 10:14 PM
The dual wheel kit uses 23X8.50 tires instead of 23X10.50 single wheel/tires. The 1445 will take the dual kit, but it isn't an option on the 1545 because it runs 26X12-12 drive wheels/tires. It doesn't matter which deck it has on it according to Deere.

The Deere (and I'd imagine the NH) will take front brooms, blades, and snowblowers as well. They are highly usefull/versatile machines.

Jimslawncareservice
07-21-2012, 10:27 PM
The dual wheel kit uses 23X8.50 tires instead of 23X10.50 single wheel/tires. The 1445 will take the dual kit, but it isn't an option on the 1545 because it runs 26X12-12 drive wheels/tires. It doesn't matter which deck it has on it according to Deere.

The Deere (and I'd imagine the NH) will take front brooms, blades, and snowblowers as well. They are highly usefull/versatile machines.

I've seen several that have had duals. I don't know the tire size, or maybe someone rigged it up. It would work with any size deck, but there's no room on the right side. Mowing back and forth you would.run over a lot of grass and would be a pain to get a food cut. If mow in circles it wouldn't matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

former farmer
07-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Have you thought about making wider anti-scalp wheels for your 955 deck? I know on my 72" deck, the anti-scalp wheels leave a lot to be desired. They are quite narrow and will cut into soft sod very easily. Would it help if you set your wheels higher?

93Chevy
07-22-2012, 02:28 PM
No I had not heard of a vantrec but is an interesting machine. Two problems with it is they only have a 60 inch rear discharge and I want a 72 inch and I don't have a dealer close. Wonder if it is possible to double the tires on the JD or New Holland?

They have a rear discharge 83" contoured deck. http://ventrac.com/products/attachments/MJ840/

heather lawn sp
07-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Just for another thought, Kubota F3080 is 4 wheel drive and 72 inch deck and 30 hp. The dealer is O'Dell Tractor in Independence. We have refitted our slope mowers with Agriculture tires or ATV tires. It makes the mower tires rather aggressive but they do climb hills

dbear
07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D (http://www.toro.com/en-us/sports-fields-grounds/mowers/small-area-rotaries/Pages/Series.aspx?sid=Groundsmaster-3280-D-3320). Can be had in 4wd with 72" deck.

I always liked Howard Price (http://http://www.howardpriceturf.com/products.htm). The 727 was available in 4wd with up to 91" deck, but I don't think they're around anymore.

flyingpostman
07-22-2012, 09:39 PM
They still sell the Kubota GF1800 in Canada but not in the US (and the rest of the world, it seems under the F1900 model name). 4WD, front mount, diesel, and you can get up to a 60" deck. A nice compromise if you don't want to spring for the larger F series models. You can't get double wheels but axle extenders are available for the front wheels.

heather lawn sp
07-23-2012, 06:47 AM
They still sell the Kubota GF1800 in Canada but not in the US (and the rest of the world, it seems under the F1900 model name). 4WD, front mount, diesel, and you can get up to a 60" deck. A nice compromise if you don't want to spring for the larger F series models. You can't get double wheels but axle extenders are available for the front wheels.

We do have the GF1800 with ATV tires and it does take hills well. Ours happens to have a 54" deck and is quite agile

docjones
07-23-2012, 10:08 PM
For the love of God get a Ventrac 4000 series with the dual wheel kit! I honestly can't understand how more guys on here don't know a damn thing about these machines! They can hold a 30 degree slope no problem. You can get a 72" side discharge deck like you want. They are extremely versatile with over 30 attachments. They are all wheel drive. Very low center of gravity. You are in my opinion wasting your time discussing any other above machines mentioned.

Puddle of Oil
07-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Thank you sir(docjones)! I'm glad someone has the same mind set as me.

Mickhippy
07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Hustler have an out front as well.

dbear
07-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Hustler have an out front as well.
I'm thinking the 3700 (http://www.hustlerturf.com/products/3700.html) is the same as the New Holland G6000 (http://agriculture.newholland.com/us/en/Products/Compact-Tractors-and-Commercial-Mowers/G6000-and-MC-Commercial-Mowers/Pages/products_overview.aspx?nhpid=Mowers), and both are rebadged Shibaura CM3xx (http://www.shibaura.com/shibaura-english/products.php?productgroepid=9&productid=9&cattaal=EN).

Mickhippy
07-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Not sure about the new holland, but yeah, the Hustler is rebadged. Shibaura is still a very good tractor and engine as far as I know. It does have the hustler deck on it which is better than the shibaura. Shibs were stamped. Council used to have them here.
They are a pretty nice machine actually. Seem a little more compact than the iseski and much more than the kubotas. Probably similar to the JD.
They also seem to have a good CoG.

If lookin into an out front, I reckon they are worth a look/demo.
Posted via Mobile Device

dbear
07-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Not sure about the new holland, but yeah, the Hustler is rebadged. Shibaura is still a very good tractor and engine as far as I know. It does have the hustler deck on it which is better than the shibaura. Shibs were stamped. Council used to have them here.
NH and Shibaura have had an agreement since it was still Ford. I had forgotten about the decks. Although, looking at their websites again, it appears they all are sporting fab'd decks now.

They are a pretty nice machine actually. Seem a little more compact than the iseski and much more than the kubotas. Probably similar to the JD. They also seem to have a good CoG.
It's a marketing thing. JD/Yanmar and 'bota have both done an excellent job at hawking their wears. Despite having every bit as good a machine, I've never understood why NH hasn't been more aggressive in the area.

If lookin into an out front, I reckon they are worth a look/demo.Posted via Mobile Device
I concur. Besides, I always thought the research part was at least half the fun.

Cutter1
09-09-2012, 11:11 AM
I have a ventrac with the dual wheel kit if you have any questions. AMERICAN MADE!!!! lol

orangemower
09-09-2012, 09:33 PM
For the love of God get a Ventrac 4000 series with the dual wheel kit! I honestly can't understand how more guys on here don't know a damn thing about these machines! They can hold a 30 degree slope no problem. You can get a 72" side discharge deck like you want. They are extremely versatile with over 30 attachments. They are all wheel drive. Very low center of gravity. You are in my opinion wasting your time discussing any other above machines mentioned. I'd hope he got a Ventrac. I'd love to have one and a bunch of the attachments to go with it.

I have a ventrac with the dual wheel kit if you have any questions. AMERICAN MADE!!!! lol

Wonder if he will come back on here and tell us what he bought? I'd hope he would take into consideration where it came from and get a mower that has the red,white and blue sticker on it. :) :usflag:

XYZLawnPros
09-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Seriously thinking about a ventrac as well.

Last Thursday as we were filling up at the local Fleet Farm, a truck pulled in for fuel next to us. Low and behold he was pulling a trailer with a brand new ventrac.
Duel wheels, had 4 implements on the trailer with it as well. The truck was an official fleet vehicle that they use to deliver their products all over. Very nicely lettered and vinyled, ventrac style. The gentlemen let us take a gander at the machine and everything else on the trailer. Answered our questions and pointed us in the right direction if a future purchase is in the works.
Excellent and very respectful employee he was.
The machine looks astoundingly tough even though I've heard stories about their longevity and toughness.

Apparently the mayo clinic in my city has a fleet of them. I do not see them on the streets or their properties often though. Mostly see them using their ventrac's in the winter with the brooms and blowers.

Now just to find out how to test drive a unit to get the real picture.....

orangemower
09-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Seriously thinking about a ventrac as well.

Last Thursday as we were filling up at the local Fleet Farm, a truck pulled in for fuel next to us. Low and behold he was pulling a trailer with a brand new ventrac.
Duel wheels, had 4 implements on the trailer with it as well. The truck was an official fleet vehicle that they use to deliver their products all over. Very nicely lettered and vinyled, ventrac style. The gentlemen let us take a gander at the machine and everything else on the trailer. Answered our questions and pointed us in the right direction if a future purchase is in the works.
Excellent and very respectful employee he was.
The machine looks astoundingly tough even though I've heard stories about their longevity and toughness.

Apparently the mayo clinic in my city has a fleet of them. I do not see them on the streets or their properties often though. Mostly see them using their ventrac's in the winter with the brooms and blowers.

Now just to find out how to test drive a unit to get the real picture.....
What, you didn't demo the one he had with him? LOL