PDA

View Full Version : Need help in figuring out the profit in doing fert. application.

kebrowns
07-22-2012, 12:02 AM
I was told to ask this question in this forum. I got my certifications to apply fert. in Georgia. I only have the tools to do yards below 1/4 acrea a 5 gallon back pack sprayer and 5 gallon spreader. I have tried different fertilizers and different techniques with a few lawns but not ably to see significant gains for me to say its worth it. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

georgialawn88
07-22-2012, 08:31 AM
where you getting your fert from? should be a high profit margin in my opinion. and a very high profit margin for pre's

inzane
07-22-2012, 09:24 AM
whats a 5 gallon spreader? just curious.

cgaengineer
07-22-2012, 09:25 AM
whats a 5 gallon spreader? just curious.

It would be a insert that goes into a push spreader.
Posted via Mobile Device

inzane
07-22-2012, 09:44 AM
thats kinda what i thought, but didn't know if it was a typo.. i thought it might have been one of those earthway push sprayers. wondering if they work very well? all i have is a backpack sprayer myself. anyway sorry to jack the thread..

in my opinion, apps are very profitable especially on smaller lawns, if you have a minimum price anywhere from 30.00 to 40.00 bucks and you are treating a 2,000 sq. ft. lawn, think about how much it cost in products to make an app to that lawn?, and the amount of time it takes. imagine having a bunch of those small lawns in an area. most companies around metro atlanta seem to do anywheres from 35 to 40 minimum price, thought trugreen was doing 50 dollar minimum at one point.

WestGaPineStraw
07-22-2012, 10:03 AM
thats kinda what i thought, but didn't know if it was a typo.. i thought it might have been one of those earthway push sprayers. wondering if they work very well? all i have is a backpack sprayer myself. anyway sorry to jack the thread..

in my opinion, apps are very profitable especially on smaller lawns, if you have a minimum price anywhere from 30.00 to 40.00 bucks and you are treating a 2,000 sq. ft. lawn, think about how much it cost in products to make an app to that lawn?, and the amount of time it takes. imagine having a bunch of those small lawns in an area. most companies around metro atlanta seem to do anywheres from 35 to 40 minimum price, thought trugreen was doing 50 dollar minimum at one point.

We have a subdivision that we treat 45 properties in and the biggest is 5k. $40 a pop, and a half a mile from our shop. That is how you make some $$.
Posted via Mobile Device

inzane
07-22-2012, 10:11 AM
what areas do you cover? i'm in cobb county myself.

We have a subdivision that we treat 45 properties in and the biggest is 5k. $40 a pop, and a half a mile from our shop. That is how you make some $$.
Posted via Mobile Device

WestGaPineStraw
07-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Carroll, Cobb, Douglas, Haralson, Heard, Coweta & Fayette counties.
Posted via Mobile Device

kebrowns
07-22-2012, 11:18 AM
It just look in volume to be 5lbs. Don't know what to exactly call those things whether by volume, size or how big they are.

inzane
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
lol, your losing me here. what kind of spreader are you using?

It just look in volume to be 5lbs. Don't know what to exactly call those things whether by volume, size or how big they are.

RigglePLC
07-22-2012, 04:26 PM
We don't want to encourage low-ball competition. Around here a big company charges $22 base fee and 6 dollars for each thousand sqft. 5000 sqft would be $52.

Typical driving time is about 10 minutes from previous stop. Labor to do the job is about 10 minutes. Fertilizer costs is about 3 dollars. Herbicide cost is about 2 dollars.

Perhaps your equipment is tiny, old and slow--not efficient--maybe you work slow.

And maybe you are licensed to apply fert, but not herbicides.

Check your overhead expenses. Try to keep them below 5 dollars per stop.

Read a few hundred posts here. You will soon understand what you must do.

Can you reduce the pressure and add a tank to that pressure washer?