PDA

View Full Version : Mulch catching on fire...any alternatives??

MSS Mow
07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
I have a retail location where cigarette butts are catching the mulch on fire. Any suggestion as for an alternative to the mulch that would be more resistant to the fire???

Thanks!

RussellB
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Place a sniper on the roof top. J/K. Rubber mulch won't ignite as quick but will end up all over the parking lot.

Deererunner
07-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Gravel such as river rock or 3/4 granite chips. Or you could put those cigarette butt collectors out at the property.

MSS Mow
07-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Gravel such as river rock or 3/4 granite chips. Or you could put those cigarette butt collectors out at the property.

There are no less than 6 "butt collectors" at this property. Still, there are people who toss them out their car windows when pulling in to use the drive-thru, not to mention the ones who live here who don't care and still toss them on the ground, right beside the butt collectors.

Is there something that can be sprayed on mulch to reduce it's flammability?

We have talked about crushed stone but I'm not certain that is the best solution. Any further thoughts on this option??? There are shrubs and perennial plants throughout the beds.

Rubber mulch is not something these folks want to use.

Thanks for ideas so far guys! Anything else to consider??

rlitman
07-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Boric acid is what's used to make cellulose insulation resistant to flame.
You could mix it up in a spray and apply to the mulch, but it's probably not healthy for the plants. I think it would be best if applied to the mulch before the mulch is put down, and left with time to soak in and dry, rather than get into the ground.

nickslawnltd
07-23-2012, 04:06 PM
I think stone is probably your only and best option with the issue your having.

Mark Oomkes
07-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Is there something that can be sprayed on mulch to reduce it's flammability?

I know this seems painfully obvious, but water???

MSS Mow
07-24-2012, 06:49 AM
I know this seems painfully obvious, but water???

:hammerhead: Yeah, I meant something that I could spray ONCE and be done with it, not have to spray it every day. But you're right, water would work. LOL

I come across this flamestop product which is what I meant. http://www.flamestop.com/index.htm

Anyone use this or something similar??

White Gardens
07-24-2012, 07:13 AM
What kind of mulch is it?

If it's not good double/triple ground hardwood mulch, then your going to have problems.

nolatoolguy
07-26-2012, 12:38 AM
I would go with rock or stone in that area then

Gosh if only people were considerate when they smoke

gunsnroses
07-26-2012, 01:26 PM
I would think cheap and easy would be whatever is sprayed on Christmas trees.

sealcutter
07-27-2012, 10:08 PM
We did something like this last year and used river stone by the smoke areas. We had to remove the mulch and replace it with 18 yards of 1-4" stone. came out real nice too.

White Gardens
07-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Original OP never answered my question.

More often than not, good hardwood mulch won't catch fire, or at least enough to cause any problems.

I'm taking a wild guess and saying that it's cheap recycled pallet material. I've seen the stuff go up in flames real easily. One time in an island at a shopping center, 12 hours after it rained. The stuff is just junk.

MSS Mow
07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Original OP never answered my question.

More often than not, good hardwood mulch won't catch fire, or at least enough to cause any problems.

I'm taking a wild guess and saying that it's cheap recycled pallet material. I've seen the stuff go up in flames real easily. One time in an island at a shopping center, 12 hours after it rained. The stuff is just junk.

Sorry, I guess I missed your question. It is a decent hardwood mulch actually. It has been very dry here for the past month and was just looking for some alternatives, not looking to say what's wrong with what I already have. Clearly, I know that is not working.

cgaengineer
07-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Well it appears that hardwood mulch is not a safe alternative to Pinestraw.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
07-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry, I guess I missed your question. It is a decent hardwood mulch actually. It has been very dry here for the past month and was just looking for some alternatives, not looking to say what's wrong with what I already have. Clearly, I know that is not working.

Understandable. Go with river rock then.

rob7233
07-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Keeping it watered will certainly reduce flammability but also increasing the mass and/or hardness of the grind size of the mulch. Any firefighter can tell you this. You start fires with kindling not logs. It take a much hotter/stronger ignition source to start a log. Maybe rake off the top the current stuff and replace with some higher quality, bigger particle size, well screened mulch.
Plus if its so hot and dry there, run the bedding irrigation system more.

Question: Has this been a consistent yearly issue or just now because of the heat?

Additionally, the retailer can have signs made up warning smokers to properly dispose of their cigarette butts due to the potential of mulch fires. Most people will try to be more considerate.

slowleak1
07-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Coming from a fireman, I would advise the retailer to have signs made saying that anyone caught on camera throwing cigarette butts in the mulch causing a fire will be prosecuted for both arson and littering. That might scare some people to use the proper disposal facilities.

MSS Mow
07-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Keeping it watered will certainly reduce flammability but also increasing the mass and/or hardness of the grind size of the mulch. Any firefighter can tell you this. You start fires with kindling not logs. It take a much hotter/stronger ignition source to start a log. Maybe rake off the top the current stuff and replace with some higher quality, bigger particle size, well screened mulch.
Plus if its so hot and dry there, run the bedding irrigation system more.

Question: Has this been a consistent yearly issue or just now because of the heat?

Additionally, the retailer can have signs made up warning smokers to properly dispose of their cigarette butts due to the potential of mulch fires. Most people will try to be more considerate.

Bed irrigation system?? HAHAHAHA

As for being a consistent yearly issue...This is a new property for both myself and the owners but I've never had the problem elsewhere with the same mulch.

Thank you for the tips on using larger mulch material and adding signs to help deter.

chips17
07-28-2012, 09:57 PM
seriously those a$$holes that throw there cigarette butts out the window are the worst. then the fire company has to go out and piss on your stupid little habit. my pager is constantly going off for these stupid fires that could be solved with a tid bit of common sense.

Mahoney3223
07-29-2012, 10:27 AM
you should hire a crew member to sit there and slap whoever throws them out. gotta love ignorant smokers tossing their nasty butts all over the place. i'd like to kick every person in the junk who does this at my accounts