PDA

View Full Version : taking over an already existing maintenance business

jstallcupsr
07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
I was recently offered to take over an existing maintence business
what questions should I be asking before I agree to it?

jstallcupsr
07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Maintenence*

Smallaxe
07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
You don't ask questions then shoot in the dark,,, you walk each property to see the detail and the cost... always meet the client as soon as possible and be sure that everything is done to the client's satisfaction...
If your not liked, lowballers will be taking over the site... good luck... :)

jstallcupsr
07-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Okay, he currently has a lot of customers and I am working for him. But he's not making any money after paying the employes so he offered me to just take it and run it myself. But I will be laying his guys off. My main question is what kind of business licsense do I need. His sites are in different citys?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
07-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Do a search of the cities involved on line and see what their licensing fees are. I don't get a license for every city I work in. I am registered with the Province as a business.

jrs.landscaping
07-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Okay, he currently has a lot of customers and I am working for him. But he's not making any money after paying the employes so he offered me to just take it and run it myself. But I will be laying his guys off. My main question is what kind of business licsense do I need. His sites are in different citys?
Posted via Mobile Device

Something doesn't sound right if he has employees and is losing money, yet one man can take over the route and make it work. Make sure you really look over the books and each property to make sure you can make a profit before jumping in head first.

jstallcupsr
07-24-2012, 02:31 PM
hes bringing in around $6,000 a month, paying me about $1,800 and another guy the same plus 2 otheres at $10hr he would rather go drive truck which he makes more, so hes wanting to give me the business and walk away, I would lay off the employees and run it just me and my brother in law I know the routes, and yards so its not something im un aware of. I live out of city limits s im required to have a licsense here, but im not sure about other citys where the routes are, something I will have to look further into.

jstallcupsr
07-24-2012, 02:33 PM
im not required ugh... sorry

jrs.landscaping
07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm sure you want to pay yourself what you are making now, and I'm sure your brother in law will want a similar wage. Right there is 3,600 right off the bat. Figure insurances, fuel, maintenance, cash flow etc.... I'm sure there is more behind him leaving the business than he is letting on IMHO.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Some seem to miss the part he works for the guy and probably knows the accounts well.

Sounds like the accounts have little value to the owner. They don't make any profit so he lets you take over and all you have to come up with is the equipment. Either buy his or buy new. But you have little choice in this since if he doesn't get out and he's losing money he will have to shut it down before long and your unemployed. I say go for it the accounts may be priced to low for employees but for a solo guy you could make a living. And even if you end up deciding to dump most of them latter it at-least got your feet wet and got you some experience.

94gt331
08-04-2012, 09:25 PM
How many accounts a week will you be taking care of. $6,000 a month is a nice start for you. You should be able to make decent money with you working fulltime and your bro part - fulltime. I can see the past owner getting out. His other job was probaly working fine for him. To run a side lawn care buisiness paying a crew probaly wasn't enough cashflow coming in to worry about having a crew do it for him. Good luck. My advise to you is: Work hard and be lean with your help and make the most profits you can with the work you have. Try to get some landscape work with those customers and become fullservice. That will keep you busy with your helper too. Good luck. Sounds like a great oppurtunity, other guys would love the free customers.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I would definitely love $6000 a month in free accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

ANA Proscapes
08-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I see the problem rite off the bat. The owner is off drivin a truck rather than running a business him self. Paying for the employees and gas alone are more than $6,000 a month. Then add insurance and all the other expenses and you are upside down quick. If he doesn't want any cash for the business than take his offer. If you know the accounts and can make it work with you and one other person than do it. But watch your expenses closely. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device