PDA

View Full Version : Municipality Spraying for Mosquitos

Turfdoctor1
07-24-2012, 10:30 PM
I was out for a walk with my wife, 2 kids and dog this evening, and a city truck pulled into the subdivision. It was driving down each street spraying some sort of a fog into the air. This is the 2nd time this summer that I have seen him. I assumed it was some sort of a pesticide, so I stopped and asked the driver what he was doing.

He said he was spraying for mosquitos, gnats, etc. He said the chemical was Control.

Is this odd to anyone else? Should there not be some sort of notice to the residents? Is that at all effective?

We are dry as a bone as well. Can't imagine the mosquito population is just booming.

jad004
07-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Effective? Yes. Probably not the best thing for your lungs though. They spray it every night around here. When we see them coming, we just go inside. We are very dry (Only 0.62 inches for the month of July) but mosquitos don't care about that here.

Yes, they should at least let the residents know about it though. We actually pay for the service. They add $2 a month to our water bill to pay for it.

grandview (2006)
07-25-2012, 05:53 AM
It's safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf6KkjBCoVU

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Effective? Yes. Probably not the best thing for your lungs though. They spray it every night around here. When we see them coming, we just go inside. We are very dry (Only 0.62 inches for the month of July) but mosquitos don't care about that here.

Yes, they should at least let the residents know about it though. We actually pay for the service. They add $2 a month to our water bill to pay for it.

You are so lucky that your municipality does something about vector borne diseases. We have dengue fever here. Health Dept does nothing more than tell people to dump out standing water. Fine and good, except there is tons of standing water in the vegetation that grows year round. I have to wonder if my next mosquito bite is the one that is my last. Treatment of shrubs and trees for "aphids" using a "thrin" is better than nothing.

What is being fogged by municipalities right now probably is a low concentration of either synergized permethrin or resmethrin. Your household fly spray probably has more pesticide in it. The fog treatment is safe as DDT and definitely safer than what used to be used. In another time, Dursban, Dibrom or Malathion were common fogging insecticides. Inhaling one of those three would be problematic.

humble1
07-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Usually most towns will post notifications in public places like the post office or take out an ad in the newspaper. Each state has dif notification process. You would have very little exposure to thermal fogging as he drove by as long as you were not right by the truck. You can ask the town for msds sheets if you can't find online
I was out for a walk with my wife, 2 kids and dog this evening, and a city truck pulled into the subdivision. It was driving down each street spraying some sort of a fog into the air. This is the 2nd time this summer that I have seen him. I assumed it was some sort of a pesticide, so I stopped and asked the driver what he was doing.

He said he was spraying for mosquitos, gnats, etc. He said the chemical was Control.

Is this odd to anyone else? Should there not be some sort of notice to the residents? Is that at all effective?

We are dry as a bone as well. Can't imagine the mosquito population is just booming.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Around here ROW spraying is exempt from notification or sinage. Our state chemical mows the sides of the highways and no signage is required...railroads are exempt as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

jad004
07-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Doc,
I am glad they try to do something about the problem here. We have lots of rice fields here and the skeeter population is huge (in numbers and physical size). We have actually watched them carry small dogs off just after dark. They use to spray Malathion, not sure what it is now.

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 07:05 AM
These days it is probably a "thrin". Nothing I would get my panties in a bunch over. Thank goodness the Health Dept got slashed. They were not much good for anything. Now, if they were out there treating for mosquitoes and other vectors, my opinion of them would be different.

jad004
07-25-2012, 07:11 AM
You have me curious now as to what it is. I'll have to ask. I'm not concerned about it. I will actually vote against our mayor this time because he vetoed the spraying and the council had to over ride him. It cost us a week of spraying though.

At $2 a month for me, if it kills 3 skeeters a year, I'm happy.

Turfdoctor1
07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

It just seemed odd. There was so little fog, I couldn't see how it was doing much good. And, it seems like there should be some notice.

I appreciate you guys sharing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Chlordane is still being manufactured in Texas by Union Carbide who also makes DDT. While neither one of these chemicals can be sold or used in the USA because of EPA regulations. They are shipped to all 3rd world countries with Vector insect problems. These Chemical save more lives's than any collateral damage they might cause.

DDT got it's bad rap from Rachel Carson author of the "SILENT SPRING" and mother of all Tree Hugging Granola Nuts. DDT is a Sodium Blocker that stops nerve impulses from reaching the muscle thus causing instant Death of Insects. However just like Pyrethriods and Pyrethrin (Sodium Blockers), Human are not effected by that family of Sodium Blockers. DDT was blamed for Eagle Egg shell becoming soft and not hatching which was later proven false like Most Uneducated Tree Hugger claims.

Thermal fogging is old school and no longer used because of Fuel Costs to heat the Material being fogged. Now a Very High Pressure pumps forces the chemical through a tiny mist nozzle to atomize the mist. This is called Ultra Low Volume or ULV. MKL is the manufacture who specializes in Mosquito control and ULV products. These are mostly Pyrethiods since the EPA and Political Correctness has pretty much taken away all the Good Stuff.

Mark Oomkes
07-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Chlordane is still being manufactured in Texas by Union Carbide who also makes DDT. While neither one of these chemicals can be sold or used in the USA because of EPA regulations. They are shipped to all 3rd world countries with Vector insect problems. These Chemical save more lives's than any collateral damage they might cause.

DDT got it's bad rap from Rachel Carson author of the "SILENT SPRING" and mother of all Tree Hugging Granola Nuts. DDT is a Sodium Blocker that stops nerve impulses from reaching the muscle thus causing instant Death of Insects. However just like Pyrethriods and Pyrethrin (Sodium Blockers), Human are not effected by that family of Sodium Blockers. DDT was blamed for Eagle Egg shell becoming soft and not hatching which was later proven false like Most Uneducated Tree Hugger claims.

Thermal fogging is old school and no longer used because of Fuel Costs to heat the Material being fogged. Now a Very High Pressure pumps forces the chemical through a tiny mist nozzle to atomize the mist. This is called Ultra Low Volume or ULV. MKL is the manufacture who specializes in Mosquito control and ULV products. These are mostly Pyrethiods since the EPA and Political Correctness has pretty much taken away all the Good Stuff.

Here's a good read on DDT.

http://www.matrixbookstore.biz/ddt.htm

Burnie
07-25-2012, 10:02 PM

Interesting read.

phasthound
07-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Indeed. Follow the money.

Ric
07-25-2012, 11:01 PM

Here is a Copy & Paste from the DDT Article:

"There is no scientific basis for banning this chemical --- this is a political decision."

One of the Tree Huggers first Uneducated Chemical Kills. Interesting enough these chemical are still being used all over the world and are one of our few exports in todays global Economy.

phasthound
07-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Interesting enough these chemical are still being used all over the world and are one of our few exports in todays global Economy..

Seriously?? I was under the impression that the US had more than a few exports. Damn, I learn something new every day.

Ric
07-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Seriously?? I was under the impression that the US had more than a few exports. Damn, I learn something new every day.

That was my political views coming out as a Anti Globalization person. Bottom line is our Balance of Trade isn't real favorable.

Snapper12
07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Good article, thank you for posting.

Perhaps the half-life comes into play. If the half life of DDT is 75 years in the soil, and pyrethrin is approximately 14 days. Money wise, wouldn't it make more sense for chemical companies to produce a product that you have to use/buy more often?

Ric
07-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Good article, thank you for posting.

Perhaps the half-life comes into play. If the half life of DDT is 75 years in the soil, and pyrethrin is approximately 14 days. Money wise, wouldn't it make more sense for chemical companies to produce a product that you have to use/buy more often?.

Welcome to Corporate America.

phasthound
07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Anti Globalization and Corporate America? Ric, you have more in common with the treehuggers than you let on. :)

Ric
07-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Anti Globalization and Corporate America? Ric, you have more in common with the treehuggers than you let on. :).

Slow Dog

The Big difference between me and the Granola Nuts is, I am Pragmatic and live in the real world.