PDA

View Full Version : Should hedgers be sharpened ?

cjmoore82
07-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Please inform me if I am wrong. One of my employees believe that hedgers should be sharpened every time they are used. I was under the belief that they are never to be sharpened. Please advise.

THEGOLDPRO
07-24-2012, 11:37 PM
we usually have them sharpened once a year in the spring, depends what kid of stuff you are cutting trough, if your just trimming bushes they will last a long time before needing to be done, if your guys are hacking through 1 inch thick stalks then they will need to be sharpened sooner or later.

agrostis
07-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Are you talking about motorized or manual ?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I sharpen when they need it some times only half of the teeth needs them
If looks like ripping and not leaving a clean cut then then yes
Sharp ones will trim faster then dull ones

cjmoore82
07-30-2012, 12:27 AM
I was talking about gas powered hedgers. My employee seems to think he needs to sharpen tbem every time before we prune hedges. I feel like he is ruining them.

RAlmaroad
07-30-2012, 04:56 AM
I sharpen when they need it some times only half of the teeth needs them
If looks like ripping and not leaving a clean cut then then yes
Sharp ones will trim faster then dull ones

Diitto, I touch all teeth since I have them apart anyway.

cgaengineer
07-30-2012, 06:33 AM
I was talking about gas powered hedgers. My employee seems to think he needs to sharpen tbem every time before we prune hedges. I feel like he is ruining them.

He's wearing them out with his sharpening regime.
Posted via Mobile Device

Belgium
07-30-2012, 07:06 AM
We sharpen them at leat once a week but we do trim around 30-35 hours a week per trimmer. Sharp ones will leave a nicer finish, trim faster and i suppose it's better for the engine too. I also have to say we change the blades once every 2-3 months
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
07-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Sharpening them every time you use them is way too much, your just taking off more metal than necessary. Once a month should be good for normal use, but you do have to sharpen them.

branchoutshrub
07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
We sharpen our stihl hedge trimmimers depending on the usage and the type of shrubs we trim. We don't overdue the sharpening because it wastes time and the blade doesn't last as long. We get new blades every Spring and go from there.

bware0023
08-03-2012, 08:19 PM
We sharpen our trimmers every 3-4 days if we are pruning yews...every 20-25 days for everything else.

Patriot Services
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
All 6 of ours get sharpened once a month from April to November then again in January with a gearbox service. I use a mini air belt sander. Once a week is ruining them. Fluid Film is used as a daily lubricant/cleaner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
08-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I agree that not all the teeth on the bar is dull. Our units is always dull from the tip up to about 12 inches inward.
I do the finger sharpness test before and after trimmings because some of our shrubbery can be brutal like hollies. It is unfortunate that we cut things like fencing, metal bars,etc. that is always under around and entwined with shrubbery. Physical inspections is always needed. Other than that, if the bars is bad, then I replace then for 65.00.
For sharpening.........A flexible dremel tool with mini barrel sandstone bits works wonders.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Been told not to sharpen unless they are mangled and cleaning is all that is needed.

Mahoney3223
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
I truly believe before you are allowed to be an owner you should have to take a power equipment maintenance class. Never?? They should be sharpened at least once or twice monthly if you use them regularly. My best friend is a stihl mechanic.

PineyPower
08-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I sharpen them like I sharpen my chain saw. When it needs it. Im not going to shapren them everytime I use them but if I need to. But normally when I sharpen them, I do it lightly since normally when the cut quallity goes down I have found that its do to resin built up on the blades and all I do is clean then blades off. And I use the cleaner/lub stuff on them too

Belgium
08-08-2012, 05:39 PM
I just bought a bottle of stihl cleaner and have to say that it works quite well. Just spray it on, agitate with a brush, rinse of with water and blow the blades dry. See the magic happen :) only other thing to do (except sharpening :p ) is burning the blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
08-09-2012, 09:13 PM
I just bought a bottle of stihl cleaner and have to say that it works quite well. Just spray it on, agitate with a brush, rinse of with water and blow the blades dry. See the magic happen :) only other thing to do (except sharpening :p ) is burning the blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

Burning the blades to clean them of tough sap I assume?
Posted via Mobile Device