PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Zoysia

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Topdressed lightly 2x the last month....going to do 2 more light apps before fall...it's coming in nicely and being maintained at 3/4"
http://i47.tinypic.com/nbp6ar.jpg

KrayzKajun
07-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Wow. Nice job.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Looks good! The only thing that can that good at 3/4" is a Walker mower...you should sell your reel mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 03:29 PM
I hope you meant that in sarcasm. I can always spot a warm season lawn mowed by a rotary by the frayed tips that make the entire lawn look whitish a day after mowing. Zoysia is especially bad for this because of the high silica content of the grass.

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Looks good! The only thing that can that good at 3/4" is a Walker mower...you should sell your reel mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know....the Tru-cuts are going on craigslist ASAP.

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 03:48 PM
FYI-trimming was done with mauryama landscape blade.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I hope you meant that in sarcasm. I can always spot a warm season lawn mowed by a rotary by the frayed tips that make the entire lawn look whitish a day after mowing. Zoysia is especially bad for this because of the high silica content of the grass.

Of course it was sarcasm GD, so many people have told me a walker cuts as well as a reel I must spread the news!
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 04:01 PM
I know....the Tru-cuts are going on craigslist ASAP.

Ill give you $300 for all of them...scrap value.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Of course it was sarcasm GD, so many people have told me a walker cuts as well as a reel I must spread the news!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hahahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
FYI-trimming was done with mauryama landscape blade.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know, no frayed edges next to the hardscape. Do this level of work and you are no longer in the same league of the low ball "landscaper". I will admit that it is fast and cheap to run rotary mowers, then use string to do the trim work. The results look fast and cheap as well on bermuda or zoysia.

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I know, no frayed edges next to the hardscape. Do this level of work and you are no longer in the same league of the low ball "landscaper". I will admit that it is fast and cheap to run rotary mowers, then use string to do the trim work. The results look fast and cheap as well on bermuda or zoysia.
Great call on the blade. I mean, it is like a reel on a stick. Keeps level with the areas that get cut with the reel and doesn't look like crap. Good for small patches of zoysia too where a reel is futile.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Great call on the blade. I mean, it is like a reel on a stick. Keeps level with the areas that get cut with the reel and doesn't look like crap. Good for small patches of zoysia too where a reel is futile.
Posted via Mobile Device

Makes sense, doesn't it? I have to scratch my head in wonder when everyone mows with a Tru-Cut or McLane, then they trim with string. A reel mower on a stick is how I describe the finish to people if they never heard of the blade. I hope you used a stick edger for the cut next to the pavers. I really do not know what string is good for. On heavy weeds, my preference is for either the articulating hedge trimmer or the 32 tooth carbide saw.

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Makes sense, doesn't it? I have to scratch my head in wonder when everyone mows with a Tru-Cut or McLane, then they trim with string. A reel mower on a stick is how I describe the finish to people if they never heard of the blade. I hope you used a stick edger for the cut next to the pavers. I really do not know what string is good for. On heavy weeds, my preference is for either the articulating hedge trimmer or the 32 tooth carbide saw.

Yup, stick-edger all the way.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 05:40 PM
If this is the quality of work you do, you would fit in well in the multimillon dollar properties I service. I normally do not mow, but one property became mine to mow because I do not use string. The zoysia tenufolia was all torn up by string and the Emerald was not being cut with a reel. People keeping the string for hacking down weeds does not happen very often here either.

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 05:50 PM

I'm feeling like a hack...a scab...low quality output low baller...

Seriously, I'd like to own a counter rotating blade trimmer but my only reel mowed account is my home and I've designed the turf areas to not require trimming, only edging.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 05:53 PM
If this is the quality of work you do, you would fit in well in the multimillon dollar properties I service. I normally do not mow, but one property became mine to mow because I do not use string. The zoysia tenufolia was all torn up by string and the Emerald was not being cut with a reel. People keeping the string for hacking down weeds does not happen very often here either.
Yup, I cut all sports turf with reel, use the blade, hand prune most plants, etc. I do use string trimmers on st aug cause quite honestly, those properties don't pay enough for ne to use the blade, and it doesn't look bad like on sports turf. Thing is though, all the companies in the high-end areas use reels. I have yet to see them use the blade though...
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm feeling like a hack...a scab...low quality output low baller...

Seriously, I'd like to own a counter rotating blade trimmer but my only reel mowed account is my home and I've designed the turf areas to not require trimming, only edging.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your good then...if you only have to edge it's all good.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Your good then...if you only have to edge it's all good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok...I feel a little better!

I even moved my mailbox to the property line where there is no turf.

For all my customers it's trimmer guards off and 2' of string!
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 05:57 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
But the fact u don't use a walker to cut Bermuda is appalling.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Yup, I cut all sports turf with reel, use the blade, hand prune most plants, etc. I do use string trimmers on st aug cause quite honestly, those properties don't pay enough for ne to use the blade, and it doesn't look bad like on sports turf. Thing is though, all the companies in the high-end areas use reels. I have yet to see them use the blade though...
Posted via Mobile Device

They just do not know and I think Kawasaki and Maruyama need to do a better job of promoting their fine machine. Another advantage of the blade is the safety to surrounding objects. Cracking a $500 piece of glass or putting a chip in a $200,000 Bentley soon negates any profit made by doing the job fast and cheap with string.

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
But the fact u don't use a walker to cut Bermuda is appalling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't laugh...I did cut it with my Toro the other day by accident. I had gotten behind and had a bunch of clippings to disperse so I lowered the deck...way too low and butchered it. I ended up dropping the reel down and smoothing it out...it's a bit yellow in spots right now but it will be fine in a few days. I've done this before and regretted it every time.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-25-2012, 06:04 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

They get what they pay for. Then again, there are people out there who want the best. It is always shocking to me when the big "landscapers" here with signed trucks, and employees in matching uniforms allow their employees to use string on a lawn for both edging as well as trimming.

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 06:07 PM
I use an edger for edging and a trimmer for trimming 98% of the time. At times I jump on mower with a trimmer to go cut and edge another part of a large property and don't want to carry edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Looks sharp Chris you and Ca and GD have me wishing there was a market in my immediate area for this type of service on Zoysia .

cgaengineer
07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Looks sharp Chris you and Ca and GD have me wishing there was a market in my immediate area for this type of service on Zoysia .

I can sell rotary mowing all day, but selling reel mowing is very difficult. It's popular here but I just can't break into the market. I somehow think most people that reel now are doing it for slightly more than a rotary cut around here but idk. I wouldn't offer reel mowing without having full service including chemicals and control over irrigation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 09:04 PM
I can sell rotary mowing all day, but selling reel mowing is very difficult. It's popular here but I just can't break into the market. I somehow think most people that reel now are doing it for slightly more than a rotary cut around here but idk. I wouldn't offer reel mowing without having full service including chemicals and control over irrigation.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is common in the high-end areas here...you HAVE to have a reel cause all the turf is 1" or less....these are accounts that are usually 800+/mo. I will not reel cut unless I'm making good money on it. Not worth it otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-25-2012, 11:15 PM

It can be Mike. People have no clue until they actually see it. It is a night and day difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
08-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Awesome job bud! Looks better than a golf course. Wish my area had customers like that. With the fert ban and the chemicals being cut were luck to see much green this time of year.