PDA

View Full Version : Need a Pro's help has experience !!

tsimmons0615
07-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Hey guys We are looking to grow and I have been searching for and trying to find a good person who can go out and work and cut yards Ive hired these younger guys and it seems that the younger generation has gotten "lazy" per say I always start peo[ple off at minimun wage for the first couple of weeks to be able to prove themselfs because everyone "has done landscaping" and can cut grass but us professionals know its more than just cutting grass Each yaard is diff and each client likea diff. things but getting to the point How do you start off new workers pay wise? and also should i start them off with more money because im kinda thinking You pay for what you get .. but im begginging to think to try and find a older person who has some experience and eith pay them by a percentage or by the hour ? I d K what to do all i know is I need help that I can trust so we can grow PLease help with any comments please
Thanks *trucewhiteflag* :help:

Dr.NewEarth
07-26-2012, 01:06 AM
There is an employment forum on lawnsite.com look on the home page and put an ad there for free.

Smallaxe
07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Prices are fixed on mowing lawns and a percentage of that money for a responsible person is about the best way to go... you need to cover overhead costs and have a profit margine to make an employee worth while at all, but the mployee needs to be more responsible than a time-clock bum...

A piece of everylawn, is like piece work in a factory... volume ONLY counts, when the quality is maintained... a simple formula that allows your associates to have a vested interest in the success of your business...

BTW,,, you're right,,, this next generation is not able to function in the business world at any capacity...

gunsnroses
07-26-2012, 01:14 PM
You can find good people. Start off with taking applications and or resume before bringing up pay. Use your life experiences to decide who you want to talk to.... Who will work, who not. Honestly, if I were looking for a crew leader and saw bad grammer, like the first post, I would push it to the back. You know what you need in a guy more than anyone else. Get as many people in the pool, weed through, and interview. No friends.

woodlawnservice
07-26-2012, 02:47 PM
BTW,,, you're right,,, this next generation is not able to function in the business world at any capacity...[/QUOTE]

Not all the.younger generation is lazy or as you say not able.to function in the buisness world at any capacity.... I'm 27, own and operate a very very successful landscaping and lawn buisness. I can do anything from Irrigation to hardscapes... I work generally 7 days a week unless I rarely decide to take a vacation...i agree its hard for me to find good help but that problem has aleays been around and will only get worse as long as our government will keep supporting the lazy and taking from people like me... just saying..
Posted via Mobile Device

woodlawnservice
07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
I pay my guys $15 an hour cash and its still hard.to find good help.... my best guys I pay $20 but I can assure you they are worth every penny to me... they get many perks as I try to make them feel needed and it never hurts to give bonuses and free lunchs is always a nice touch...
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
We don't start employees at less than 10 an hour. They can go to be a line cook near the ocean and make close to that or even more. Larger companies around here start at between 8-9.50 for new hires. Like the saying goes, you get what you pay for....

TinMan1
08-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Ive had some young guys call me whining that didnt want to cut grass because it started to rain