PDA

View Full Version : Requesting info on potential business

grassmasterswilson
07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
So this past march I met with a guy about buying some accounts. He told me some numbers but never went into detail about each customer. I never heard bak after asking.

I emailed him last night about his business after seeing it on the web. It's still for sale and he is willing to meet.

I don't want to go just to talk an beat around the bush. I want to get some info.

Am I out of line to ask for specific info? I don't need names or addresses right now. But I would like to know some specifics like.... Customer 1 has 10k lawn. I did these apps, sprayed/spreader this on it, and charged them this much for each app.

I could then price his chemicals and run some numbers to see if it would work.

I'd be willing to sign a no compete on there customer list only. If the numbers worked I would then want a list I addresses to look at them. Them make an offer
Posted via Mobile Device

Cadzilla
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
You want to see everything including his wife nekkid!

Seriously. I'd ask for everything from contracts, production cards/sheets, computer files (ie: quickbooks or what have you...) and tax returns for the last three years.

Hopefully you know something about the guy and his company history.

You'll want a five year non compete thats as solid as your attorney can make it and you should expect to pay dollar for dollar for good accounts.

If they cancel.....thats the breaks but obviously you want a smooth and helpful transition in place.

grassmasterswilson
07-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah when I met with him last march he showed me some quickbook numbers of what he billed out. I just need to know what the customers are getting charged. I don't need any "friend" rates!!

He also included customers who he may have pruned one time or done one thing in his advertised number of accounts. I could care less about that one!

I need to see each customer's history so I can see if it will work. I charge a flat per app price and he did each app individually (chem cost + stop fee + labor)

RigglePLC
07-26-2012, 05:47 PM
He does not want to give competitors secret information. But the more info he gives you the more you are confident and more you will offer. So ask. Yes, you need to know how many sqft, and how many applications at what price.
Simple...you want to be sure the accounts you buy will be profitable...you are not interested in buying money-losing business. There is a chance they are priced too low, say at 75 percent of your price. You need to separate the one ap customers from the 6 per year, 1, 2 or 3 year customers. Ask if you can pay him about 10 percent a month until it is paid off--give him interest of course.