PDA

View Full Version : 20 years of overgrowth needs to go.

N3wguy
07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Hello All,
I need a little help with a piece of property I recently became part owner of. I bought a share of a defunct factory that I am working on turning in to a work space for artist to build large scale installations as well as a workshop for myself. The factory has a vacant lot attached which is 85' wide and about 100' long. The lot has not been maintained in roughly 20 years, which really didn't seem to bother the city until I got involved. I received a letter stating that I had to clean out the lot or face fines of $350 per day until it was complete. I have about two-three weeks to get a lot done. I really think a bulldozer would be best but that option is a bit out of my price range. The city seems concerned that the lot is a fire hazard even though the only building attached is a concrete structure with 18" thick walls, all other sides are paved parking lots.

As far as the plant life in my mini jungle I have only identified one type of plant absolutely which is everyone's favorite poison ivy. The ground,"trees" and fence are covered with vines ranging in thickness from 1/4" to 1" round. The density of plant life is incredible.

I purchased an 18" ECHO chainsaw as well as an ECHO PAS unit with a brush cutter, string trimmer and power trimmer (8" chainsaw on a stick). I was thinking I would just roll in with the brush cutter and level the lot so I could start on the trees...WRONG. It not that the tools are bad, as it turns out the PAS is awesome and the brush cutter does eat up just about anything, the only problem is as much as I cut is as much as it grows back. I tried Ortho Ground Clear with limited results so I picked up some Pramitol 25E. I read the instructions and I have some reservations about using the product "as directed". I'm not really keen on mixing it with diesel fuel, seems like a bad idea on so many levels I thought I would ask the experts for a non-environmental disaster solution.

I am hoping to obtain a secondary product that can be applied to heavily overgrown areas that show results in a short period of time while preventing new growth. I understand the Pramitol 25e will keep it down but I am not sure what to use to knock it down or the mixing ratio's of the knock down product.

I have read about the Drift and spread of the Pramitol but since the lot is slightly depressed in comparison to the street and surrounded by empty lots I don't think it will be a problem.

Also as a side note question, how long is Pramitol 25E hazardous after spraying?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Sincerely,
N3wguy

newtostone
07-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Call up the local bobcat or cat dealer, they can rent you a skid with a mulcher on it, or recommend a contractor in your area that does this work.

Cadzilla
07-26-2012, 01:55 PM
What about a controlled burn?

You could even get your buddies at the FD to join in the festivities as a training session.....or some OT.

:)

I'd think you could get that dozed for a few hundred or 400 bucks. It's a half hours work. But the debris remains.

Yup. Burn it.

Then next spring spray it when it starts to grow back.

RigglePLC
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
So...once you get it cleared...you have to plant some grass and mow it right? So you don't want to use a soil sterilent. Bulldozer or Bobcat is best, but once you get it mostly cut down and the main roots removed--watch out for poison ivy and don't burn it--smoke may be toxic--seed it and start mowing. Best time to seed in your area is when temp comes down to about 85 in August. To increase thickness--fertilize at about 30 and 60 days after seeding.