PDA

View Full Version : Harley Rake Info

JNB Construction
07-27-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm starting a 50,000 sq ft gravel parking lot next week. The area is presently grass that get's mowed by the school district, so it's kept nice and short. We've been pretty dry here too. The amount of grading that has to be done before laying geotextile and spreading road base is minimal.

My plan is to strip off the grass using Landpride's version of the harley rake to minimize as much haul-away as possible. My local Kubota dealer has one to rent along with an SVL75.

Any tips or tricks ya'll want to share?

Steiner
07-27-2012, 09:05 AM
How much base is going down? How many cubic yards of soil and sod are we talking?

A harley rake will work well but I think I would save the rental cost and strip the soil and sod with a skid and a toothed bucket. Then hire a local trucking company to come a few hours after I stripped the area and created a pile and load it out. Hell someone on craigslist may pay you for the loads of wonderful organic topsoil.

I have found buyers on craigslist before that will pay for the trucking as well. Just depends on how much headache you want.

JNB Construction
07-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Only 5" of base going down over the geo before compaction. Seems pretty thin to me, but it's their specs.

I'll be removing as little soil as possible since grading only involves straightening things out. I made a deal with a driver that lives down the street a bit. He'll pickup for free to get the material. From what I've seen on videos online the rake looks to be the best attachment to remove the least material, but I may be wrong.

I just got a call from my rental guy and they're going to have the machine and rake back in by ten today, so I'll be starting the job earlier than expected. They have an area on the property that I can run it before I take it out to the job, just to get a feel for it.

LandscaperPro
07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
I have a LandPride 6' Power Rake for sale in Kabota Orange. Almost brand new.
If interested call Gary at 812-678-1500.

This is not a Landscaper Pro Item. Sold by individual.

allinearth
07-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Should work but it sure will be dusty.

jmacd
07-27-2012, 07:47 PM
50,000 sq ft is a little more than an acre. I would strip that with an excavator and load it out at the same time. Clean up with a dozer.

The sod and organic will be thicker than 5" so figure about 6" to 8". The area should be proof rolled or compacted than fabric, woven type. Over lap seams at least a foot. Gravel pushed with a dozer and compacted again.

You are looking at about 1500 yards to remove and about 2000 tons of crushed stone. This job size justify the bigger equipment even if you rent. If this job is public works job than they will have very specific specs to follow. Possible compaction test to pass

JNB Construction
07-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Well that's how it should be done. This is a temporary parking lot for a town of just short of 2000 people, so they wanted it done as inexpensively as possible since they'll be building on the site in the next three years.

They're instructions were pretty specific, if a bit "off." Only strip as much grass as needed, no export (I had to talk them in to at least hauling out the grass), and use the "big dirt pile" to "fill up the holes." I'm not exactly doing it that way, but that's what they wanted. I did include the geo as an option in my bid, which they decided to go ahead with.

Should work but it sure will be dusty.

Boy your not kidding! The cabbed rental is still out so they brought me in an open cab SVL75 from another dealership.

I finally got the unit to the jobsite this afternoon, but I did get about 30,000 sq ft stripped and windrowed at one end. I'll finish up tomorrow with the rake and start grading. I have a vibratory compactor and water truck coming in Monday morning. Delivery of the road base starts Tuesday morning.

muddywater
07-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Just put a little weight on the front wheels of the harley when you do your last passes.

Bigred350
07-28-2012, 11:01 AM
The first couple of passes over the grass you should turn the drum the SAME direction as you are going. This will help loosen the grass from the soil. Go one direction then go opposite direction (criss cross). Then after thats done start on one side but this time turn the drum in the OPPOSIte direction as you are moving. This will pick up the grass and you can windrow it or push it into a few piles. The take your bucket and scoop up grass.

Good luck.

AWJ Services
07-28-2012, 11:08 AM
If the ground is really hard I use a scarifier first. Not real deep. It speeds things up. Pull the side of the Rake and angle. Go in one direction and rake the grass to the side. Do it again perpendicular to that. It should be clean and relatively flat by then. Back drag with the bucket and your done.

Steiner
07-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Can you post some pictures?

AWJ Services
07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Skid-Steer-Ripper-Scarifier-Attachment-fits-Bobcat-Case-New-Holland-Gehl-CAT-/280867367894?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4164ffebd6

This is one type

JNB Construction
07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Going back this morning I wasn't real satisfied with the area I'd done. The ground was pretty hard and I'd only raked one direction. So I ripped it down a couple inches with the 210LE and re-raked it both directions. Finished raking the rest and got the lot about half graded.

One thing I noticed is that the rake seemed to stall pretty easy. Better after I ripped, but still not as powerful as I would expect from an attachment that sure isn't cheap. Is this something that would work better with high flow? I think it may just be my inexperience with the rake.

JNB Construction
07-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Like I said...It was pretty dusty.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/rdrancher/PowerRaking.jpg

AWJ Services
07-29-2012, 11:26 AM
My harley rake is a tractor unit so I cannot answer why the Landpride is stalling. I demoed a Harley rake on my skid a long time ago and I do not remeber it stalling. The main problem I have is it will not dig down into hard ground. I always just plow the area first which helps remove the Gras/roots and loosens the soil. I plow about 6 inches deep. It takes a little practice to get the hang of it and how to work it efficiently. Once you learn it is a great tool.

JNB Construction
07-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah I figure it's just my inexperience with the attachment. The soil I'm working in is dry clay and very hard. I call it "popcorn" clay because of the way it breaks up when the crust is broken. Funny you mention the pto driven rake. I was thinking that no way would one of these rakes stall if my tractor's pto was driving it. I expected more out of the hyd setup. One thing I didn't like about the Landpride unit is that it has float linkages between the unit and the quick attach plate. Makes it almost impossible to curl enough to take weight off of the wheels. The float also makes the rake want to follow the contour of the ground whether you want it to or not. I haven't looked at any other makes to see if they have the float feature.

NEUSWEDE
07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
My harley rake is 84" and it Cat which is really harley brand (Palladin) and in hard clay or coming upon large rocks or ledge it has stalled. I don't think it is the unit or the machine I think it is the way it is setup so the unit doesn't just grenade itself. Kind of like an auger just doesn't keep spinning when it runs into something hard. Between down pressure from the machine it can't really kick over it and by the dust that looks like it would be rock hard.