PDA

View Full Version : Drive vs burn

RigglePLC
07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Will Drive burn grass at high rates or high temperatures? When mixed with surfactants or broadleaf herbicides?
I tried it using Drive 75 WP at 3 teaspoons per quart (about a half ounce per quart or 2 ounces per gallon). I included 3 milliliters of Bonide Turbo spreader-sticker per quart, (about 0.3 percent). I sprayed a spot with a hand held sprayer for 5 seconds. Temperature was 80 degrees. At 24 hours no injury to the grass was visible.

What is your experience? Have you caused burn with Drive or other quinclorac products? Is there a difference depending on temperature?

The label seems to suggest that fine fescue is sensitive to Drive, but still recommended. At one point label says it is OK spray new seed, and in another chart it is not safe. Mysterious.

n-green
07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Was there a weed in your spot or just a test on the grass?

grassman177
07-27-2012, 03:02 PM
i dont use drive 75 anymore, but the xlr8 can burn when the temps are gonna get high, but imo acceptable considering. i have burned with both, and lower degrees is not an issue, it is when the temps are gonna get higher than 85 that it is a sure thing, at least to some small degree

Pythium
07-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I have had burn issues with fine fescue and high temps, generic quinclorac.

grassmasterswilson
07-27-2012, 04:50 PM
I sprayed Quincept or q4 last year(can't remember which) on Bermuda. It was around 90 or so. It got the weeds but did burn on some lawns. The burn showed on full sun if I remember.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn king
07-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I have experienced no burn issues at all spraying straight drive 75 @ high temps. Mixed with other herbicides, well thats a whole different ball game!

RigglePLC
07-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Temperatures are a bit cooler here. 80 when Drive was sprayed and about 85 now, 48 hours later. No sign of burn, even though used at a high rate.

On new seeded Kentucky bluegrass, (about 3 inches tall)...no burn...grass remained healthy, after 24 hours.

There were no weeds in the area.

Crabgrass is coming on strong since we had another half-inch of rain on July 27th. For the first time this season, I am seeing seed heads.

Brett Thomas
07-29-2012, 12:44 PM
I have been getting burn on Tall fescue but its understandable with temps reaching 95. All spraying is done between 6:15 am and 930 am

RigglePLC
07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
At 4 days after using Drive on irrigated Kentucky bluegrass/fine fescue blend...there has been no injury.

Test repeated today 7-30 at higher temp, 93.

Where Drive was sprayed on newly seeded Kentucky bluegrass which was about 3 inches tall, 35 days old, only very slight injury developed.

Clumps of crabgrass were sprayed with same drive solution Drive on 7-28-2012. Sprayed above solution for 1 second 2, and 3 seconds. Herbicidal effect was evident at 48 hours. Strongest effect was at 3 seconds, less so at 2, and less so at 1 second spray. Crabgrass was at the stage of very new tiny seed stalks.

GALAWN
07-30-2012, 09:55 PM
On bermuda above 93 I get yellowing and that's with iron added to the mix. I don't care one bit though because the crabgrass is incinerated.

Mscotrid
07-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Stopped using the DF formulation a couple of years ago, switched to Xlr8 at 64oz per acre using MSO as my surfactant. Night and day difference in control with faster uptake and no residual in the bottom of the tank. You are correct with all Quinclorac products you can overspray fescue at any time during a grow in. I have added Drive to hydroseeder with fescue because it does offer pre-control. Bluegrass and Rye you can spray prior to seeding or 30 days after germination.

All herbicides are temp sensitive but I'm more concerned about the property. irrigated vs non irrigated and shade come into play much more than ambient air temps.

RigglePLC
07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Drive 75 wp was mixed at about 2 oz per gallon with about .3 percent spreader sticker.

It was sprayed for 3 seconds on a circle of about a half sqft, in Kentucky bluegrass fine fescue mix on an irrigated lawn.
When temp was 80 degrees no injury resulted.
Two days later, when temp was 93 degrees, test was repeated; no injury resulted.

Applying the same solution at very early seeding stage, to clumps of crabgrass for: 1 sec, 2 seconds, or 3 seconds...after three days, brown leaves on crabgrass were low, medium and high depending on the dosage.
Photo: Grass at 93 degree day on left. 80 degree day on right. No injury.
Photo: Crabgrass sprayed for 1 second, on left, 2 seconds on right, and 3 seconds in the last photo.

Mscotrid
08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
What I know about Quinclorac DF if you applied at 2 oz per gallon (assuming your spraying a gallon per 1000) you were at 5.5X the label rate. Quinclorac in the Df formulation is labeled at .367 oz per/1000.

RigglePLC
08-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Mscotrid.
I think you are correct, but I wanted a really extreme test to be sure that it would be safe at the proper rate at the temperature mentioned.

Now at 6 days later I still see no injury to bluegrass. The crabgrass is collapsing and it appears that even the low rate will work just fine. One second of spray.

I do not understand how others have seen injury--unless the temperature is much higher, the rate is higher or some other variable is different. Mso? Broadleaf herbicide?

Spot spraying is rather imprecise--it is difficult to be truly accurate about the exact rate.

RigglePLC
08-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I tested Drive 75 to see if it burned the grass at 80 degrees, at about 2oz per gallon with a non-ionic spreader sticker. I used low pressure with a hand held sprayer, but this should be at least 5 times the label rate. I sprayed for 3 seconds. I tested again on July 30 when temp was 93 degrees, (left in photograph). Temps were about 88 degrees as highs in following few days. I tried to spray a 9.6 inch diameter circle (about a half sq ft).

At first there was no injury, but at 6 days there was very slight browning in the area treated on July 26 which is on the right in the photograph.