PDA

View Full Version : sprays and rotors on same valve

fireman1173005
07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
I have always heard not to put sprays and rotors on the same zone because they need different pressures to operate. Anyone know if this is correct or if I can put them on same zone?

Brian

Duekster
07-28-2012, 10:01 PM
As a rule this correct. The goal is to have the same PR rate on the same valve.

This often means not mixing and matching spray nozzles from different MFG's much less rotors and sprays.

Mike Leary
07-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Why? Valves are cheap,an extra zone on the clock, big deal, you'll have better control of application, plus the precip rate will prolly be different between sprays and rotors.

muddywater
07-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Use mp rotator sprays and match precipitation rate with rotor nozzles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Use mp rotator sprays and match precipitation rate with rotor nozzles.
Posted via Mobile Device

That would be ok for a retrofit on a bad design or where the HO changed the landscape but I would not design one that way. Rotors don't have that great a matched PR on the same nozzle tree either but they are what we have on large areas.

muddywater
07-29-2012, 09:07 AM
That would be ok for a retrofit on a bad design or where the HO changed the landscape but I would not design one that way. Rotors don't have that great a matched PR on the same nozzle tree either but they are what we have on large areas.

Why? The precipitation rate can be matched to be exactly the same. I do it all the time on new installs where I have a rotor zone with a little nook that is just too small for a rotor, but inefficient to have another zone with 1 or 2 sprays on it.

Duekster
07-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Why? The precipitation rate can be matched to be exactly the same. I do it all the time on new installs where I have a rotor zone with a little nook that is just too small for a rotor, but inefficient to have another zone with 1 or 2 sprays on it.

What brand and tree are you using? I know you can get close to the same PR particularly if you have pressure regulation.

My point being is FC, TQ, H and Q on do not even match exactly the on a rotor.

I am sure there might be an condition where it is the best option but as a but under BMP of water conservation, mixing on the same station is a bad idea. I could likely match drip to a rotor too but you will not see that on my designs.

muddywater
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Mp rotator and rb 5000 heads. Rates can be matched.

I posted the perf charts in this thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=382438

muddywater
07-29-2012, 01:59 PM
You could mix drip and rotors if they are watering just plant material and no turf.

Irrigation Contractor
07-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Mixing is just plain cutting corners on a new install period!

I cannot believe some of the things I am reading. Do some of you have any pride in your work?

There are always customers that are willing to pay a premium for a premium product!

How can you train installers when you are okay with mixing sprays and rotors??

muddywater
07-29-2012, 10:46 PM

I cannot believe some of the things I am reading. Do some of you have any pride in your work?

There are always customers that are willing to pay a premium for a premium product!

How is it cutting corners if the precipitation rate is the same? Did you look at the performance charts for mps and 5000s?

I would be interested to hear your opinion with PR data to back your point.

Are you really going to have a separate zone for one spray in a tight spot?

Mike Leary
07-29-2012, 11:04 PM

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

muddywater
07-30-2012, 07:09 AM
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

And no data to prove your point. :confused::confused::confused:

1idejim
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
And no data to prove your point. :confused::confused::confused:

http://www. rotar/spray/piker/hack/data links/ (http://badgerbadgerbadger.com/)

DanaMac
07-30-2012, 09:21 AM

Good info right there.

muddywater
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
It says on rain bird's website that mpr nozzles and 5000s precipititation rates can be matched.

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/bro_5000Series.pdf

Rain bird 5000 rotor performance chart based on 1/2 circle

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/chart_5000.pdf

MP Rotator performance chart

http://www.hunterindustries.com/node/501

Example:

MP Rotator 1000 180degree 55lbs pressure - .38 in per hour
Rain bird 5000 180degree 55lbs pressure - .37 in per hour

hoskm01
07-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Truer words, never spoken.

Duekster
07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
You could mix drip and rotors if they are watering just plant material and no turf.
Using your same logic, why not if the PR is the same?

Turf Dawg
07-30-2012, 08:01 PM

If it is watering at the same rate what is the difference? Is a ton of feathers heavier than a ton of bricks?
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-30-2012, 08:02 PM
If it is watering at the same rate what is the difference? Is a ton of feathers heavier than a ton of bricks?
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you using your own logic or Muddy's?

Turf Dawg
07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Are you using your own logic or Muddy's?

That would be my own. I am new to the irrigation side, but the way I look at it is if a half inch of water per hour is a half inch of water per hour no matter how you slice it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
07-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

apples and oranges. although they are the same in weight they are not the same size, shape or have the same gravity.

i know you're new to the irrigation side http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=4485640&postcount=21
but if getting grass wet is all that matters to you, use a hose. in spite of how this forum looks to newcomers, there are professionals that take pride in the application of irrigation.

Weekend cut easymoney
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
apples and oranges. although they are the same in weight they are not the same size, shape or have the same gravity.

i know you're new to the irrigation side http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=4485640&postcount=21
but if getting grass wet is all that matters to you, use a hose. in spite of how this forum looks to newcomers, there are professionals that take pride in the application of irrigation.

same rules apply to the professional--homeownersdon't know about PR and irrigation techs may not either and they often will repair with rotors or whatever they think will work-mixing rotors and spray heads sets a bad example--we hope they will call a professional, but many don't-

Mike Leary
07-30-2012, 09:25 PM
What most of you said.

1idejim
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I have always heard not to put sprays and rotors on the same zone because they need different pressures to operate. Anyone know if this is correct or if I can put them on same zone?

Brian

WTF?

http://www.sprinklertalk.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=22413#post22413

Turf Dawg
07-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Does it just look bad or does it not work? If there is a spot where you went through a 20' sleeve and the flow rate was in specs, why could you not use rotors in a large area with a couple of MP's rated the same PR in a small area?
Like I said I am new so please explain. I just thought you wanted the same PR. I just thought if you take the gallons per minute X 96.3 / sq ft and it was the same for the two areas it would be OK.

Weekend cut easymoney
07-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Does it just look bad or does it not work? If there is a spot where you went through a 20' sleeve and the flow rate was in specs, why could you not use rotors in a large area with a couple of MP's rated the same PR in a small area?
Like I said I am new so please explain. I just thought you wanted the same PR. I just thought if you take the gallons per minute X 96.3 / sq ft and it was the same for the two areas it would be OK.

sure, if you do the hydraulics, it can work--I wouldn't do it if at all possible--though, there are many other guys here with most likly a lot more experince that do it-

muddywater
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM

In my mind, the reason you do not mix drip and rotors is that you do not want to water turf and plant material at the same time because they have different watering needs. Hydrangeas might need more water than turf, holly shrubs might need less water than turf, annual flowers might need more water, etc.

However, if your rotors are watering just plant material and the drip is watering plant material... why not? Precipitation rates are matched and plant needs are met.

Turf Dawg
07-30-2012, 10:15 PM

So if you have the same PR in a area that has 4 rotors and a area that has 4 MP's you cannot put them on the same zone?

Wet_Boots
07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
unless you have a time-critical watering situation, you would look to "keep like with like" and not mix rotors and sprays - one more zone is not a deal-breaker

muddywater
07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
unless you have a time-critical watering situation, you would look to "keep like with like" and not mix rotors and sprays - one more zone is not a deal-breaker

1 head on a zone if f@#$ing stupid. I always have a spot right beside a brick mailbox that a rotor zone can't catch and one little mp rotator 1000 90degree helps avoid a dry spot.

Wet_Boots
07-30-2012, 10:35 PM
a Rotator is not a spray - it is a rotor

muddywater
07-30-2012, 10:42 PM
a Rotator is not a spray - it is a rotor

Well it is mounted on a spray body. I am not advocating fixed sprays with rotors, but I do use mpr or mps on spray bodies with matched precipitation rates.

And that is what I have been saying from my initial post.

Wet_Boots
07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
I can't get too preachy. I used to do some mixed zones, but the rotors were heavy waterers, and a match for sprays.

Way back when, an extra zone might double the cost of a controller.

1idejim
07-30-2012, 10:50 PM
1 head on a zone if f@#$ing stupid. I always have a spot right beside a brick mailbox that a rotor zone can't catch and one little mp rotator 1000 90degree helps avoid a dry spot.

sounds like you should explain this issue with the designer since it is a constant reoccurence and flaw in his/her design.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
sounds like you should explain this issue with the designer since it is a constant reoccurence and flaw in his/her design.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well as boots said, a rotator is a rotor so what is the difference? Same precipitation rate. The only way you could avoid this is to have one head on one zone which is inefficient and stupid.

muddywater
07-30-2012, 10:57 PM
I can't get too preachy. I used to do some mixed zones, but the rotors were heavy waterers, and a match for sprays.

Way back when, an extra zone might double the cost of a controller.

Another wire strand, more pipe, another valve, another module... just for one head.

I just drove by one of my yards I renovated with zoyisa grass amd irrigation and a mp rotator beside the brick mailbox... and it looked perfect... no dry spots even in the 5' area beside the mailbox where the mailbox blocked the rotor but had the mp there to cover it.

muddywater
07-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess I could tell the homeowner to get a PO Box!

Or you could use your one good eye and look at the precipitation rates in the posts above and recognize that the precipitation rates are the same for a mp rotator and a rotor. Of course, I am sure you have spent more on R & D than Rain Bird. You probably have your own million dollar research facility that measure precipitation rates.

Wet_Boots
07-30-2012, 11:09 PM
I've also had a midget spray head in a rotor zone, because of a single 4x6 strip of lawn was isolated by sidewalk and driveway.

muddywater
07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
These annuals are really suffering from a 12" mp rotator on a rotor zone. I should have put these on a separate zone, trenched through 6 pipes, 5 wires, bored under the drive to get to the matching annual bed on the other side, changed the controller to one capable of 14 zones or more and lost the job to another contractor.:rolleyes:

You should see this bed now 2 months after this pic... The begonias are 4' tall, caladiums and black magic 5' tall, petunias spilling out into the sidewalk, and true yellows 1' tall. And boxwoods not yellowing because it is a rotator and not a fixed spray that would dump too much water on the boxwoods.

jbell36
07-30-2012, 11:50 PM

what, in the @#%!, was that............?!

hoskm01
07-31-2012, 12:05 AM
what, in the @#%!, was that............?!
Another believer.

How about those olympic games?

jbell36
07-31-2012, 12:22 AM
i mean, i get the joke/point with the link, but, where do you find sh!t like that?

irrig8r
07-31-2012, 12:29 AM
It says on rain bird's website that mpr nozzles and 5000s precipititation rates can be matched.

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/bro_5000Series.pdf

Rain bird 5000 rotor performance chart based on 1/2 circle

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/chart_5000.pdf

MP Rotator performance chart

http://www.hunterindustries.com/node/501

Example:

MP Rotator 1000 180degree 55lbs pressure - .38 in per hour
Rain bird 5000 180degree 55lbs pressure - .37 in per hour

Agreed. Like.

jabbo
07-31-2012, 09:39 AM
You know, I have a few places just like this in my yard that I have been trying to figure out how to water and this sounds like what I need to do. I really don't need to add another rotor because the spot is small.

Kiril
08-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Muddy,

The reason you don't mix match in this case is because the first yahoo without a clue (i.e. the majority of them) will replace that broken rotator with a spray.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Muddy,

The reason you don't mix match in this case is because the first yahoo without a clue (i.e. the majority of them) will replace that broken rotator with a spray.

With that mentality, we should NEVER use mps on anything EVER, because there is always that potential even on a total mp zone.

And i have found mps have immensly helped me efficiently cover nooks and crannies.

And hopefully i will service everything i sell. I think i service 90% of what i sell. And honestly who gives a f*** if they let some yahoo mess with their sprinkler system, they deserve what they get.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
08-01-2012, 07:03 PM
With that mentality, we should NEVER use mps on anything EVER, because there is always that potential even on a total mp zone.

One could say the same about replacing rotors with sprays (seen it happen). Also seen the yahoos replace mprotators with spray nozzles (seen that happen too).

And honestly who gives a f*** if they let some yahoo mess with their sprinkler system, they deserve what they get.

That is a piss poor shiity attitude.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 07:42 PM
That is a piss poor shiity attitude.

I see your point, but if they want to cheap out and hire a dumba$$ that doesnt know the difference bt an mp and fixed spray that is their problem. Its on them. I cant let that affect my system design that would give the best coverage per dollar.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-01-2012, 08:27 PM
FWIW,

Kiril seems to be a MP fan.

I think mixing and matching is an option of last resort for retrofits and never a good design practice.

Duekster
08-01-2012, 08:35 PM
In my mind, the reason you do not mix drip and rotors is that you do not want to water turf and plant material at the same time because they have different watering needs. Hydrangeas might need more water than turf, holly shrubs might need less water than turf, annual flowers might need more water, etc.

However, if your rotors are watering just plant material and the drip is watering plant material... why not? Precipitation rates are matched and plant needs are met.

As an example in Texas , strips of turf less than 4' wide can not sprays installed when surrounded by hardscape. IE that section of turf between the sidewalk and the street.

If I use MP in the main yard would I use the same station to run the drip in that area?

IMHO, It is best to keep them separated. Do not mix types of delivery systems. I know I have considered it when trying to solve a problem. Main reason I consider this option in Retrofits again in Texas we have to upgrade the POC / Backflow when we open the pressurized main.....

It is not a good idea to mix by design.

irrig8r
08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Agreed. Like.

Now hold it right there... I posted this before I saw a photo where the OP combined turf and shrubs/ flowers on the same zone. I draw the line at that.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 08:51 PM
FWIW,

Kiril seems to be a MP fan.

I think mixing and matching is an option of last resort for retrofits and never a good design practice.

What is your reasoning? If you have a 7' nook on the edge of a 100x100 lawn, are you going to run a separate spray zone for that nook? These days if you are already at the top of your pricing point... another $500+ zone may knock you out of the bidding.

And the end result will be EXACTLY the same with a couple mps or a couple sprays.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Now hold it right there... I posted this before I saw a photo where the OP combined turf and shrubs/ flowers on the same zone. I draw the line at that.

Updated pic of the flowers. Boy do they look sh!ttty!!! 4' tall begonias and 5' tall caladiums and black jacks. I would love to have put these on a separate zone, but do you think you could even tell a difference?????? I could not imagine them looking any better.

Duekster
08-01-2012, 09:08 PM
What is your reasoning? If you have a 7' nook on the edge of a 100x100 lawn, are you going to run a separate spray zone for that nook? These days if you are already at the top of your pricing point... another $500+ zone may knock you out of the bidding.

And the end result will be EXACTLY the same with a couple mps or a couple sprays.

Zone define zone ?

Post up a drawing. I do not price per zone.... sorry you fell into that low ball pricing model.

I do not worry about bidding. Poor salesmanship to focus on price... someone will always be cheaper. Or less expensive.

Sale value. :weightlifter:

Kiril
08-01-2012, 09:11 PM

I thought we were talking about all turf?

New designs with overlapping hydrozones = f'n stoopid.

Duekster
08-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Hence Zone vs Station.

:)

Boys need an education Kiril.

Mike Leary
08-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Updated pic of the flowers. Boy do they look sh!ttty!!! 4' tall begonias and 5' tall caladiums and black jacks. I would love to have put these on a separate zone, but do you think you could even tell a difference?????? I could not imagine them looking any better.

As stupid as it is, I would at least, hope it's a 12" hi-pop. :dizzy:

Kiril
08-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Updated pic of the flowers.

Photoshop does wonders .... heh? Barring the idiocy of combining an area like this with turf irrigation by design, didn't anyone ever teach you about not mixing plants with different water requirements? :dizzy: To me, this area is a prime example of what not to do.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Zone define zone ?

Post up a drawing. I do not price per zone.... sorry you fell into that low ball pricing model.

I do not worry about bidding. Poor salesmanship to focus on price... someone will always be cheaper. Or less expensive.

Sale value. :weightlifter:

Yeah I prefer to win jobs. An extra zone cost more money... wire, extra module, extra pipe, more parts to fail under warranty, etc. I don't price per zone, but extra zones do add cost and man hours.

Must be nice not to have to compete with ANYBODY! Here in the real world, I have to be relatively close to the highest bid to have a chance. If I am $1000-$1500 over the highest bid of a reputable company... I am not getting the job. I lost one bid being $1500 over, even with a referral from one of the most anal people in my city. Price does matter... especially in this sh!tty economy.

Point is mps or separate spray zone = same result. Prove to me otherwise and I will mail you a $300 check.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Photoshop does wonders .... heh? Barring the idiocy of combining an area like this with turf irrigation by design, didn't anyone ever teach you about not mixing plants with different water requirements? :dizzy: To me, this area is a prime example of what not to do.

Do you want a video of the flowers? I don't even know how to work photoshop.

I know it is not IDEAL, but the flowers are goddamn beautiful. The whole point of irrigation is to have beautiful plants... and those flowers are beautiful.

Let me know if you want a video so you can eat your own sh!t.:drinkup:

muddywater
08-01-2012, 09:24 PM

And we were talking about turf, till I wanted to stir it up a bit.

irrig8r
08-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Hence Zone vs Station.

:)

Boys need an education Kiril.

Don't be a smart ass.

Definition of "zone" depends... are you designing hydrozones from scratch and assigning sprinklers to a valve based on such factors as slope, sun exposure, soil type, etc?

Or are you just referring to an area watered by a single valve.

"Stations" refer to numbered terminals in a controller and (maybe) the corresponding valves.

"Zones" refer to the areas they water and the sprinklers connected to said valves.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 09:26 PM
As stupid as it is, I would at least, hope it's a 12" hi-pop. :dizzy:

Yes those absolutely gorgeous flowers are most definitely watered by a 12" mp rotator. Hell the sonbitches are 4' tall... it has to be watered by a 12".

Kiril
08-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Let me know if you want a video so you can eat your own sh!t.:drinkup:

Anyone can fertilize and water the piss out of a landscape and "make it look great" for a little while ..... and then it fails miserably. Seen the yahoos do that as well, time and time and time again. If you measure you success in terms of days and not decades you will never be a professional but rather just another cut and run amateur ...... sorry.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Anyone can fertilize and water the piss out of a landscape and "make it look great" for a little while ..... and then it fails miserably. Seen the yahoos do that as well, time and time and time again. If you measure you success in terms of days and not decades you will never be a professional but rather just another cut and run amateur ...... sorry.

Well typically you change out your annuals every 6 months.... so it is a matter of days. And considering we in a severe drought, I think the annuals look pretttty damn good. You have seen the 2 month pics of the flowers and the 4 month pics of the flowers. I may even have pics of the violas we planted in the winter... all beautiful.

Although I do agree with you. You are right, annuals should be on a separate zone.

In this case, add one head for $200 or $2k for a separate zone that would include boring under drive to matching annual bed, trenching through 5 laterals, trenching through 10 wires, adding a module to the clock for two spray heads in an existing sprinkler system.

Could the flowers really look any better?

I measure my success by plant success... and in this case I am successful.

Duekster
08-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Don't be a smart ass.

Definition of "zone" depends... are you designing hydrozones from scratch and assigning sprinklers to a valve based on such factors as slope, sun exposure, soil type, etc?

Or are you just referring to an area watered by a single valve.

"Stations" refer to numbered terminals in a controller and (maybe) the corresponding valves.

"Zones" refer to the areas they water and the sprinklers connected to said valves.

How am I a smart ass? Am I to assume a person knows the proper terms?

If I made those assumptions then I would be a dumb ass.

So kiss my ass. :laugh:

Mike Leary
08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
So kiss my ass.

Whatever........

Duekster
08-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Whatever........

looks like you :sleeping:

Wet_Boots
08-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Jack Sprat's in love...

hoskm01
08-02-2012, 08:55 AM
The annuals look awesome, the setup is not ideal were money never an object but it is the best alternative to an additional zone.

Next.

Turf Dawg
08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
As an example in Texas , strips of turf less than 4' wide can not sprays installed when surrounded by hardscape. IE that section of turf between the sidewalk and the street.

If I use MP in the main yard would I use the same station to run the drip in that area?

IMHO, It is best to keep them separated. Do not mix types of delivery systems. I know I have considered it when trying to solve a problem. Main reason I consider this option in Retrofits again in Texas we have to upgrade the POC / Backflow when we open the pressurized main.....

It is not a good idea to mix by design.

In Denton county everything 10' and under surrounded by hardscape has to be on drip now.

Duekster
08-02-2012, 08:51 PM
In Denton county everything 10' and under surrounded by hardscape has to be on drip now.

Cool.
I have no problem with that for the most part.

irritation
08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I would be interested to see how well subsurface drip does in parkways for turf after a few years. I've not heard anything good.

hoskm01
08-03-2012, 12:39 AM
I would be interested to see how well subsurface drip does in parkways for turf after a few years. I've not heard anything good.
Had it in miles of turf in CO in narrow and wide parkways; it was fantastic.

jbell36
08-03-2012, 02:33 AM
hmmm, some of the high rollers on here are going head to head with this thread, you guys are usually in agreement with each other and/or ganging up on someone else, ha, this is interesting, i will stay subscribed...

i've been following this thread because it's an interesting topic...i will say i'm with muddywater on this one, when it comes to putting ONE spray on a rotor zone..you always have to bid against your competition...adding a zone can be a deal breaker...always design a system correctly, yes, but when it comes to that odd nook that would be ridiculous to add a separate zone for, then just throw a spray on there...you can adjust the spray enough to make the PR close enough, at least for that one little spot...

i'm just trying to be realistic here...in a perfect world, it would be on a zone all by itself

jabbo
08-03-2012, 08:45 AM
I agree with muddywater also.... As a matter of fact, I'm probably going to do the same thing in my yard... Been trying to figure out a way to get more water on a spot that 1 rotor hits but the other rotor is blocked by a shrub now.