PDA

View Full Version : Need expert opinions on this machine

NEUSWEDE
07-29-2012, 12:25 AM
You guys always seem to know the ins and outs of equipment. I am looking at this 2004 160LC ( http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8485025& )
They brought it up to Maine for me to look at. Seems like a fair price and in good shape. Here is a quick video walk around, don't have a Deere Key and the dealer isn't back around till Monday so couldn't run it.
http://youtu.be/vEz7jhc_6M8

Pros:
Good hours
Chains just replaced
Has AUX hydros for a thumb
all sheet metal is in good shape
JRB Coupler
They have a thumb for it that is new old stock. (will cost extra)
Price seems good for machines in my area with features and hours.

Cons:
the Boom has been repaired at the bend for cracks. Seems like a good repair
could had ran a hammer?
Bucket has had some repairs as it looks like the whole bottom was cut out.
Can't find a pattern changer (in the cab or in the engine bay)
24" pads to narrow? Wont be in a lot of mud

Cornell
07-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Price seems high to me.

I wouldn't go with anything less than 28" tracks but that's just me.

NEUSWEDE
07-29-2012, 01:33 AM
I compared it against the closest, http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8595791&
3K hours less and thumb and 2 years newer worth the $30K more?

Dirtman2007
07-29-2012, 09:00 AM
I know its a deere and it a touch bigger but my 140 volvo wont but 60K and its a 2006 had 1400hrs hydraulic thumb. does have the 24" pads thats about the narrowest tracks I'd want on a machine that size I wish it had 28's

4 seasons lawn&land
07-29-2012, 10:10 AM
they hauled it to you just for you to look at? Sounds like they want to get rid of it. Offer low.

excav8ter
07-29-2012, 12:14 PM
My guess would be that the machine has been abused if they repaired the boom. But that's just my opinion.

ksss
07-29-2012, 12:40 PM
I have been looking at newer 160 sized machines to replace mine for some time now. A Deere with a repaired boom (huge deduct), 7K hours, no thumb for 60K is no deal to me. However every man for himself. I would guess you would be another 8K on top of that for the thumb. There must be better machines to look at out there.

NEUSWEDE
07-29-2012, 01:51 PM
I am in a weird market for used equipment. I am pretty much end of the road. Nothing really beyond me so it is here to the south. Problem with that is when equipment comes in it sells quick. Most people here run equipment forever. I have been looking for awhile. Trying to stay in the $55K area but hard to find many machines that have lower hours with atleast hydros plumbed and not beaten up, most are in the 80-100k area because of the market.

I find stuff in the south but problem is I am too busy and don't have the time to fly down and demo and then trucking up takes away from the savings.

I have had a Komatsu 160 on rent and wish I could justify the 110k they want for it and thats with 1200 hours.

The big pro to me with this machine was the new chains. I have looked at 4 machines in the past couple months all needed new chains and was estimated around 8k to fix. I can get a used pro link thumb for 3k or have MC Faulkner (local equipment attachment fabricator) build a new one for 6K

Chris that is deal you got on your 140. If I found that I would jump on it in a hurry.

I appreciate all the input. I have work but it isn't a 5 day a week work load or I would be going new or spending more on a better unit. Just trying to get into something to bid better to close more jobs and have a monthly payment for what I pay for rental per week.

AEL
07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
take a look at the hitachi zx160s on machiery trader. Way better motor (izuzu), lower hours, and in your price range. You would be suprised how good of a deal you can get on transport.

ARP
07-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't be afraid of the 24" inch pads on that machine. I have those on my 160 and I walk across wet bogs all the time with no issues. Stability wise, there isn't much to gain with the bigger pads either.

Sean's thought on looking at the 160 Hitachis of that vintage is a good thought. The Isuzu engine is very good and has better reliability and economy than the Deere engine according to several people I have talked with in the past.

With that said, if you can find a 160CLC Deere with a few less hours and a non-repaired boom, for around the same money I would jump on that in a second. My old employer has a 160CLC that they bought the same week I started working for them back in 2006. I just ran that machine earlier this year (2012) and though it was beat up and had almost 7000hrs on the clock, the thing started easily and ran great. I think that just goes to show the durability of the Hitachi/Deere design, regardless of what engine is put in the machine.

Good luck!

NEUSWEDE
07-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Tss Hitachi has been on my list but not many if any used ones in the northeast. All I have found are much older. Even Nortrax (Deere dealer) doesn't carry any used or have any in the northeast.

Andrew, thanks for the input. Schmidt has one that has been there since the winter exactly the same minus the jrb coupler (which doesn't matter to me) and 1000+ less hours for 7K more.

The repaired boom is negative and positive to me. Negative because why did it crack but positive because it has been repaired and looks like it was repaired right.

Good soild opinions, I wish I could say its helping my decision but it isn't.

I quoted a transport from FL 2 months ago and was 8K but wanted to be flexible untill they could find a back haul. Quoted a few all right around there.

AWJ Services
07-29-2012, 04:28 PM
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8611813&

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8371503&

AEL
07-29-2012, 05:03 PM
holy crap ! When i was in my old business (partnership) we had a jd 450dlc taken apart and shipped on two floats from Jacksonville florida to Toronto Ontario for 8k. have you tried U-Ship?

Cornell
07-29-2012, 05:47 PM
holy crap ! When i was in my old business (partnership) we had a jd 450dlc taken apart and shipped on two floats from Jacksonville florida to Toronto Ontario for 8k. have you tried U-Ship?

Good point on the U-ship. I had my Duramax shipped 2100 miles for 1100 dollars in January. I know a truck is a lot different than a 38k pound machine but still it's worth a shot.

I still think that is overpaying for that machine. We bought our Case CX160 that is a 2006 for 77k with 1150 hours on it over 3 years ago. Been a solid machine and has 3600 hours on it now.

A company I know that does a lot of basements has all Deere and Hitachi machines and they get about 7000-7500 hours out of one before stuff really starts going, usually the motor.

NEUSWEDE
07-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Awj good find on the Komatsu hadn't seen it. The Volvo I looked at and is junk needs a lot of work and had a hammer on it. I did use uship and that's what it came back as. Maine is end of the line and isn't much of a major hub. I always have luck shipping smaller items. I even asked a local hauler with low boy and wanted 9k
I am going to see if I can get them down and reasses from there. I wasn't made aware of it before it got here.
Defintely have to look at the Komatsu 160
Posted via Mobile Device

t190
07-29-2012, 08:32 PM
http://prequip.com/penticton-construction-equipment/details.php?id=896
weird

AEL
07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Pacific rim is always way overpriced i find.

NEUSWEDE
07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
called today and they said it was an example photo. From what they said they have no clue what it looks like because they couldn't tell me anything about it.
very weird.

Digdug
07-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Im thinking thats a little steep on the price. The auctions are a good place to find a machine for less money. Good luck with whatever you do. doug

NEUSWEDE
07-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Im thinking thats a little steep on the price. The auctions are a good place to find a machine for less money. Good luck with whatever you do. doug

Doug I wish I could do auctions, but I am not a big enough company yet to be able to have cash like that to throw around. I have the money to pay on a machine and interest rates seem to be really good right now.
I am meeting with them tomorrow and seeing about dropping the price a lot or ill just walk.

My big worry and think it is true after talking to the sales man I know at Nortrax is that if it did run a hammer which is the impression I am under, The hyrdaulics are probably hurting and will have more work to do to the under carriage and pins in the very near future.

Scag48
07-31-2012, 03:09 AM
Given the boom damage, she'd have to be a lot cheaper for me to bite. Hitachi/Deere booms are known for their awesome ability to blow apart with hammer use. That issue has been repaired, but it could rear its ugly head elsewhere in the machine. I'd be curious how tight the pins on the stick are, a bit of a wiggle will give you an idea of what you're looking at for bucket linkage but the stick cylinder where it meets the stick is of some concern as well. Also, the hydraulic system as you mentioned but that's easy to find out, oil samples are money well spent.

24" pads are nice if you're in rock more than mud, you'll have to make that call. Also, not a huge deal here in WA as an annual overwidth load permit can be obtained for cheap, but 24" pads keeps you at 8'6" and that might be worth something.

I'll throw my .02 about Komatsu's 160-7's. I ran 3 different units at the last outfit I was at, all of them had standard sticks with CWS hydraulic pin grabbers, big CWS link thumbs, and heavy duty 48" cleanup buckets. The stability was average at best but like I said, they were dangling a whole lot of jewelry. They do have a little grunt to them though but I always felt the hydraulics would more than outperform the weight of the machine, you can stand them on their nose very easily. Not a bad machine, very quick and cycle times were good if you weren't having to sell a little material just to make it out of the pile. I think Hitachi/Deere is a better machine if you have a decent dealer close to the shop.