PDA

View Full Version : Over Estimating

C Jovingo Landscaping
07-29-2012, 09:43 AM
I was reading another post abt under estimating jobs & is it OK billing for more than original estimate. Estimate to me is "will not exceed price." Question is...if you estimate a job at $1000 & it went much better than expected & you could bill for $800, do you bill for $800 or bill for $1000 which they gave the green light on? I feel the customer appreciates getting a bill lower than what you estimated, but on the other hand that extra $200 would make up for a job that gave you problems & ended up being under estimated. Just wondering how others deal with this.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedSox4Life
07-29-2012, 09:58 AM
I usually split the difference. That way the customer is happy that the bill is lower than expected, and you're happy for making a little extra on the job.

RSK Property Maintenance
07-29-2012, 12:32 PM
whatever i estimate a job at is what i charge 9 out 10 times i'm really close, every now and then i'll under estimate a job, but even then i'm still doing alright.

jrs.landscaping
07-29-2012, 01:23 PM
The only way the price changes from the estimate is if there are changes made by the customer, or if it is an hourly job and we are over/under what we figured.

Glenn Lawn Care
07-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Whatever my estimate is thats what I bill.

clydebusa
07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I invoice the estimate, unless job scope changed.

GreyFlames
08-02-2012, 04:32 PM
In the short term, I agree that it's beneficial for you to bill for the estimated amount; however, consider your future business with the customer before you do so. If this is a potential repeat client, you might find it worthwhile to make them happy with a bill that is under budget. This approach can be worth it in the long run, as it encourages client loyalty and repeat business, and it has the possibility of generating several referrals over the course of your relationship with the client.

C Jovingo Landscaping
08-02-2012, 05:00 PM
In the short term, I agree that it's beneficial for you to bill for the estimated amount; however, consider your future business with the customer before you do so. If this is a potential repeat client, you might find it worthwhile to make them happy with a bill that is under budget. This approach can be worth it in the long run, as it encourages client loyalty and repeat business, and it has the possibility of generating several referrals over the course of your relationship with the client.

That is what my thinking is. It's called an estimate, so client has estimated idea what the job is gonna cost them. It is not a bid IMO. As I stated in my OP, it is a "Will Not Exceed $XXXX" for the customer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt_MapleHill
08-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I am usually pretty close but if I do go over I will mostly split the difference.

RSK Property Maintenance
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
generally with every customer i have worked with, if i told them i over estimated by 3-400 hundred and they said keep it for a job well done, usually for mulch jobs i will over estimate but they always pay the full amount....

grandview (2006)
08-02-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty close on my estimates also. So no real lower price savings.