PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Spray Tips

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
07-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Which spray tips are you using to spot spray weeds , broadcast spraying and other spraying while using backpack sprayer ? I have tried many different tee jet tips and was curious to what other's use . Thanks Scott .

GALAWN
07-30-2012, 09:58 PM
The fan spray (usually red) is my favorite by far. I was taught to use the stream but that is useless in my opinion. Just make sure nothing is blocking your flow regularly.

bug-guy
07-31-2012, 07:37 AM
tee jet fan 8006, gets me about 1 gal per 1000

kirk1701
07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
The fan spray (usually red) is my favorite by far. I was taught to use the stream but that is useless in my opinion. Just make sure nothing is blocking your flow regularly.

I like the adjustable nozzle, the fan tip is to fine a spray if your spraying herbicides will be more out to drift

Ric
07-31-2012, 01:14 PM
tee jet fan 8006, gets me about 1 gal per 1000

Yep the 8006 is pretty much the standard nozzle for spot spraying weeds with a back pack. Calibration of a gallon a thousand works good on short grassy weeds in ornamental beds and sidewalk cracks.

Get into total turf blanket kill out and a higher rate of sprayer per thousand works better. Therefore a larger tip. Start spraying heavy brush and you better add 2,4-D or a 3 way herbicide as well as increasing the volume per sq ft.

As for the adjustable cone fan tips, They put out way to much product for spot treating. They might have a place but I haven't found it yet, I throw them away.

RigglePLC
07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Each to his own. I like the adjustable cone tips. I get about 2000 sqft per gallon, (if I keep the pressure fairly low). No sense carrying around more water than needed.

It is best to spray a gallon of water on concrete--measure the sqft covered per gallon, and calibrate carefully for accurate rates.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-31-2012, 10:02 PM
I have only used the adjustable cone myself - finer mist on more calm days a little more coarse droplet on marginal wind days. I have a red flat fan tip have not used it

kirk1701
08-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Tried the fan tip and calibrated my sprayer on pavement to get a walking pace again with new sprayer. Didn't like the red tip fan nozzle, what I noticed was a wide pattern and heavier at the top and bottom and areas in the middle were thin to just gaps missed. My adjustible nozzle gives a uniform even pattern and can adjust to the width I like and if I'm spraying tree's I can adjust that to spray 15 feet high.

I also like this CFvalve (Control Flow) keeps an even 28 Lbs of pressure no matter how high you have the sprayer pumped up to and if you drop below the 21 Lbs the sprayer cuts off, not drips and no leaks :drinkup:

http://www.chapinmfg.com/ShowCFValve.asp

greendoctor
08-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Which spray tips are you using to spot spray weeds , broadcast spraying and other spraying while using backpack sprayer ? I have tried many different tee jet tips and was curious to what other's use . Thanks Scott .

Weeds spot sprayed in landscape beds-solid cone ceramic disc-core tips.

Broadcast spraying in lawns is done with AI 110VS tips.

Don't like to spot spray lawns, but if it is done, it is done with an AI tip operated to paint a square over the area of weeds. No slashes made in the lawn caused by holding the tip close over the top of the weed while not moving.

The tips that come with many backpack and hand sprayers demonstrate the saying "you get what you pay for". They were free, right? They go in the trash and are replaced, along with the plastic trigger and flimsy wand for a Teejet trigger with a stainless steel wand.

cgaengineer
08-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I use an 8002 in my Stihl backpack.
Posted via Mobile Device

CL&T
08-03-2012, 12:37 AM
8003 (blue) at 30 psi gets me 1 gal/1000 sq ft at the speed I move at. You have to determine the pressure at which your nozzle delivers the necessary flow for the speed it is traveling. I have a Solo with a pressure gauge on the handle. You're flying by the seat of your pants if you can't keep the pressure constant. Even large variations are not easy to see by looking at the spray.

greendoctor
08-03-2012, 03:23 AM
Which is where one of these comes in handy. I can set the right pressure to operate a nozzle and apply the gallonage desired. Calibration becomes easy because there is a chart in the tip catalogs telling how much liquid per 1000 sq ft according to travel speed and pressure. I figure on a walking speed of 2 MPH which is not running.

cgaengineer
08-03-2012, 04:53 AM
My Stihl and is 8002 is used for roundup...I'll go from a drip to a fan in flower beds.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Which is where one of these comes in handy. I can set the right pressure to operate a nozzle and apply the gallonage desired. Calibration becomes easy because there is a chart in the tip catalogs telling how much liquid per 1000 sq ft according to travel speed and pressure. I figure on a walking speed of 2 MPH which is not running.

They make lighter weight PRV's GD!
Posted via Mobile Device

CL&T
08-03-2012, 08:39 AM

That is a bit of a brick. :laugh: At least put that thing back under the tank with just the gauge at the handle.

greendoctor
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Not ones that will handle up to 500 PSI incoming pressure and 5 GPM flow. This regulator is also used behind my tree gun, shrub wand and 3 nozzle boom. Without this regulator and air inducted nozzles, I would not be spraying at all.

Ric
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM

I like to use 12V 2.1 GPM 60 PSI Shurflo pumps for weed control. I am a big believer in lots of carrier (5 to 7 Gallon Per Thousand) when spraying insecticide and Fertilizer.

Here is Picture of the side door of my Cab over. This is my spot weed sprayer for selective herbicides on turf. Yes that is a Pressure Washer gun and nozzles. I use a 15 degree # 3 P.Washer nozzles for spot spray turf. My Shurflo 2.1 GPM 60 PSI pump pushes the 300 ft of 3/8 hose nicely. I am spraying One Gallon a Thousand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0068.jpg

Here is a Home made wand that I use for blanket spraying turf with weed control. Note the quick snap Pressure washer tips that the wand can use interchangeable nozzles. I can also use standard Tee Jet tips with the fast snap nozzle connector. Look close at the tips to see that. BTW these are only a few of the Dozens ot tips I have.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0072.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0073.jpg

I do some Aquatic work and either use a Z turn mower with a 12V Spot sprayer to drive around the pond. Or a 1975 Aluminum Row boat that was build tough. I use the same type of Pressure Wash gun and tip as I do for Turf. Only because I am not pushing 300 ft of hose I can use a 15 degree # 3.5 which is just a hair bigger because I am not pushing 300 ft of hose. Correctly Matching the Tip to the Pump is important for calibration.

Not shown is a 12V spot sprayer and 300 ft hose reel that I have set up on a Trailer. I use that set up for Blanket spraying total weed kill. If you haven't figuired it out by now, I am an Equipment Freak.