PDA

View Full Version : Drain tile question

cnymowing
07-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I have a customer that needs a retaining wall, about 4' tall, 30' long. He also wants to have two down spouts tied into drain tile, along with his pool backwash tied into pipe.

I was wondering if it is possible to tie the downspouts and backwash line into the section of perf pipe that will be behind the wall, or if doing that could somehow undermine the 57 stone behind the wall with the velocity and volume of that much water?

I'm leaning towards just running a solid pipe for the spouts and backwash along with the perf pipe behind the wall, but I was just wondering what other people's opinions and experiences are.

Steiner
07-29-2012, 05:02 PM
The goal of any hardscaping job is always to reduce as much damage by water as possible, especially in colder climates. My advice would be to output your drains in another more suitable location, and also to drain your wall with pipe per the manufacturers spec.

Water through the wall will only increase efflorescence, and lead to premature failure of the wall.

cnymowing
07-29-2012, 05:13 PM
The goal of any hardscaping job is always to reduce as much damage by water as possible, especially in colder climates. My advice would be to output your drains in another more suitable location, and also to drain your wall with pipe per the manufacturers spec.

Water through the wall will only increase efflorescence, and lead to premature failure of the wall.

I know about the efflorescence, I was just wondering if is possible to tie in the downspouts to the perf pipe that will be used behind the wall for drainage, all the water will be daylighted at the end of the wall, on the downhill side of the property, and the only direction for the downspout pipes to go is the same direction of the drainage behind the wall...

Where in CNY are you from?

TomG
07-30-2012, 07:56 PM
DONT do that. The perforated pipe will deposit water from the downspouts behind the wall. Run a solid pipe. Water is your enemy when dealing with walls. Keep it away!

Steiner
07-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Liverpool

www.steinpropertyservices.com

AztlanLC
07-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Such a bad idea it would be a major no no, like stated before use a solid pipe run it alongside the perforated pipe.

DVS Hardscaper
07-31-2012, 01:09 PM
No bad idea
Posted via Mobile Device

cnymowing
07-31-2012, 06:49 PM
thats what I figured... thanks

promower
07-31-2012, 07:51 PM
As said before if you must tie these pipes to tile behind the wall go with solid
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Just make sure your solid pipes protrude past the edge of the retaining wall. Thats going to be alot of water coming out of the eaves and especially the back wash. Is there not another acceptable route for the two.

DVS Hardscaper
08-01-2012, 08:38 AM
the wall's drainage system is only an "all else fails" system.

a well designed wall (grading) will probably never see a drop of water in the drainage chimney.

zedosix
08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Hmmm, what about ground water, and freeze thaw issues as well. There are specific times of year that the ground is saturated so not necessarily always coming from the top.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
08-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Here's a link to a project I did. There were two downspouts involved, one at the top of the run and one in the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.394926947642.175262.185135107642&type=3

I just used two separate exit points for the downspouts and ran it under the base of the wall.

Luckily, due to the slop and grade, I was able to get the pipe below my wall base. So far so good after 3 years and there hasn't been any settling or anything where the wall goes over my pipes.

Birchwood
08-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Here's a link to a project I did. There were two downspouts involved, one at the top of the run and one in the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.394926947642.175262.185135107642&type=3

I just used two separate exit points for the downspouts and ran it under the base of the wall.

Luckily, due to the slop and grade, I was able to get the pipe below my wall base. So far so good after 3 years and there hasn't been any settling or anything where the wall goes over my pipes.

I want to know the groups thoughts on the wall White Gardens built. Wall look very nice, but I wouldn't have put the draintile behind it. I'm curious to know other thoughts on that, I think it over kill for only 3 lines of creta.

DVS Hardscaper
08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Andy - "ground water"?

If you have ground water then that's called a "spring". And a whole different can of worms.

Soil is always moist.
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
08-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Andy - "ground water"?

If you have ground water then that's called a "spring". And a whole different can of worms.

Soil is always moist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Whoa, whoa Devious one.

Ground water originates from many sources other than springs, it comes from heavy rains, frost, on occasion yes a spring (which we've had to deal with once or twice). If the top of the slope is graded properly and the proper material used to resist water penetration like brick or clay then I agree the "drainage chimney" stays relatively dry.

DVS Hardscaper
08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Whoa, whoa Devious one.

Ground water originates from many sources other than springs, it comes from heavy rains, frost, on occasion yes a spring (which we've had to deal with once or twice). If the top of the slope is graded properly and the proper material used to resist water penetration like brick or clay then I agree the "drainage chimney" stays relatively dry.

An the water flows downhill?

Posted via Mobile Device

FLCthes4:11-12
08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
why wouldnt you put some soc pipe in there? Its insurance, plus it looks good on a proposal and its not but $55 for a 100' roll here. And so you dont have to answer the question from the HO saying so and so said that it needed a pipe.

White Gardens
08-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I want to know the groups thoughts on the wall White Gardens built. Wall look very nice, but I wouldn't have put the draintile behind it. I'm curious to know other thoughts on that, I think it over kill for only 3 lines of creta.

It's insurance as far as I'm concerned. But yes, might have been over-kill.

The way I look at it is that on the back-side, if there is ever a downspout issue, then the water will fall off the roof pretty heavily, and the drain tile is insurance against that.

On the flat side of the house, it faces the west. Most storms here come out of the west and would blow against the house. Occasionally we get rain storms that will dump 1.5"-3" in and extremely short period of time. (say an hour). So again it's just insurance as far as I'm concerned.

And it was my mother-in-laws house. Last thing I wanted to have happen was failure due to water issues and hear about it for the rest of my life. :rolleyes: