PDA

View Full Version : So whos spraying the drought stressed grass?

maelawncare
07-30-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm not, at least not yet.

We have only had 2" of rain in the last 7 weeks with the average temps above 95 in that time frame. I normally spray the last week of June first of July, but have held off this year. I know what the label says, just want to hear some experience.

My problem is that a lot of weeds are coming up even with the drought. Some yards need a blanket app to get them all. Mostly the new yards that I picked up this year.

I am starting to think that I should go through and spot spray all the weeds, but not quite sure what it will do to the grass. And since it hits 90 by 10am it doesn't leave me a long window to do it. I have only been spraying for 4 years and this is the first BAD drought I have come across in my life.

Which leads me to asking you guys. Any ideas from someone who has experienced this before? Nothing will get watered after I spray either, so that is another concern.

R & R Yard Designs
07-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Take the time and spot spray. It's hard to kill weeds when its so hot and dry.
Posted via Mobile Device

maelawncare
07-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Take the time and spot spray. It's hard to kill weeds when its so hot and dry.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you. That is kind what I was thinking.

Now if only I can find something that kills Johnson Grass as good as MSMA.

RigglePLC
07-30-2012, 03:38 PM
In my experiments, recently, Speedzone, Quicksilver and Drive were safe at 95 degrees.
However T-Zone caused some injury, especially with high levels of spreader-sticker. Speedzone cause slight injury with high levels of spreader sticker.

Why not spray the weeds? A few showers will bring up lots of weeds and crabgrass now that the soil temperate is high--the weed and crabgrass seeds will germinate.
And since the grass is probably brown--injury would hardly show.

R&S Lawn Care
07-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Oklahoma Mesonet shows my area, bare soil 2" deep 114°. 2" deep under sod 98°. 1 day avg. 100°. Im heading to the mountains for a while. This sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
07-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I gonna start spraying here shortly. I'll be out spraying real early in the morning (5:30) so it doesn't dry in the 90 degree heat and won't burn.

RigglePLC
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
So you think if you spray when the temp is below 85--no problem--even if the temp rises to 95 later on in the day. Would you care to mention what herbicide and what grass type?

Anybody agree or disagree with this idea?

Any proof or evidence that it makes any difference? Are you going by what the label says?

GALAWN
07-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Spraying before it's hot makes no difference at all. I am in Atlanta and if you think it's hot there come down for a vacay. It's been a min of 90 for the last 90 days. I don't even remember what it's like to be cool outside at this point. I treat everyday with a granular fert with 6% iron as well as spot treat with a 2 backpacks sprayers, one with celcius and one with drive. I use mso with both and also a small cup of chelated iron. The quinclorac will most def leave some yellowing on damaged lawns in this heat but who cares. Never have I had a customer complain about the spots, it's what they pay us for. Would they prefer the crabgrass? To be fair, I only treat bermuda/zoysia and they bounce back quickly.

maelawncare
08-04-2012, 10:50 AM
So you think if you spray when the temp is below 85--no problem--even if the temp rises to 95 later on in the day. Would you care to mention what herbicide and what grass type?

Anybody agree or disagree with this idea?

Any proof or evidence that it makes any difference? Are you going by what the label says?

I sprayed Q4 and onetime. 3 days later still fine. It was fescue lawns and I stopped right at 89 degrees. Started at 6:30 and finished at 8:30. I will say that spot spraying is a LOT faster than blanket, lol. As long as most of it dries up before it gets real hot, there wont be much of a problem.

Spraying before it's hot makes no difference at all. I am in Atlanta and if you think it's hot there come down for a vacay. It's been a min of 90 for the last 90 days. I don't even remember what it's like to be cool outside at this point. I treat everyday with a granular fert with 6% iron as well as spot treat with a 2 backpacks sprayers, one with celcius and one with drive. I use mso with both and also a small cup of chelated iron. The quinclorac will most def leave some yellowing on damaged lawns in this heat but who cares. Never have I had a customer complain about the spots, it's what they pay us for. Would they prefer the crabgrass? To be fair, I only treat bermuda/zoysia and they bounce back quickly.

I have been trying to kill bermuda, so we aren't to kind of it round here. And even zoysia isn't doing to well here either.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I thought Celsius worked better in heat.

Main reason not to spray 3 way with amines over 85 is drift not burn.

Nitrogen can burn but if you used plenty of water...

rcreech
08-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Weeds are more active in the morning and evening when temps are low. The stomates or pores in the leaves are open and can take in the herbicide.

But if the plant is dormant itself the herbicide still may not work.

Monsanto did a test back in the last 90's and they showed you get best weed control when spraying between 6 -10 am and 6-10 pm.

When it is hot plants will literally shut down to conserve energy...so you guys are thinking correctly.

But I still believe that it is hard on the turf alone just driving on it and some products may also be hard on the turf that is already so stressed.

We will not start any apps until it rains.

tlg
08-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I lost one of my largest accounts due to the drought. A condo complex I have done for over 10 years. The worse part is it was a prepaid account. Of course we will be refunding quite a chunk of money back to them as they feel they don't want to do any remaining treatments this year. As much as I tried to get them to hold off and at least do some of their remaining program when things improve ( we have had some rain and things are showing signs of recovery ) the condo board of directors thinks they know better. Working with condo associations as always been a challenge as there are always too many opinions to ever do whats best. The loudest mouth almost always gets what they want.

The drought in general has really kicked us hard. Lawns that got good rain are now getting a good amount of weeds. The dry lawns look like hell and are sprouting weeds just to make them look even worse. Our service area covers a large area so we have had pockets of good and bad conditions. Recovery in some , partial recovery and little to no drought recovery. This is by far some of the worse weather ever to work in as well. The relentless heat and humidity are wearing everybody out.

Customers for the most part have been understanding and realize that we are dealing with nature's extremes.

I guess the big question is: If your company can't do any more applications will your business be able to survive? If no is the answer what will you do? If yes is the answer. What did or will you do to get through this awful time.

Let's assume that your business is primarily a lawn application business with a decent number of customers.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I feel for ya but diversification is key