PDA

View Full Version : Bi-weekly shrub trimming

wojo23323
01-09-2003, 05:00 PM
I have a potential customer that wants his shrubs to be kept neat. He wants them trimmed every 2 weeks if anything has grown. How could I give him an estimate for that. He has about 200' of hedges and 47 smaller shrubs. I am leaning on telling him I could charge by the hour, but I don't like to have customer know my hourly rate. Any suggestions???

AGLA
01-09-2003, 05:38 PM
He sounds like someone that could be a PITA. I might not want to deal with that.

rodfather
01-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Every 2 weeks? Guy sounds kind of anal if you ask me.

What kind of shrubs and hedges are they? Even forsythia that grows like a weed doesn't need that kind of maintenace.

BTW, what's wrong with giving an hourly rate?

wriken
01-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Really

BTW, what's wrong with giving an hourly rate?

I had a heating/cooling guy work on my air conditioner, with a helper. I did more work then the helper, when I asked him how much, he (90.00 per hour, 45 for me, 45 for him. Going Rate.:eek:

Turfdude
01-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Privet hedge may grow that fast. Anyway, if the client is willing to pay for it, just estimate the number of hours to prune and multiply by your hourly rate. Add disposal fees if necessary. That way you get your hourly figure and client won't know what it is.

Bob

Doc Pete
01-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by wojo23323
I have a potential customer that wants his shrubs to be kept neat. He wants them trimmed every 2 weeks if anything has grown. How could I give him an estimate for that. He has about 200' of hedges and 47 smaller shrubs. I am leaning on telling him I could charge by the hour, but I don't like to have customer know my hourly rate. Any suggestions???

Sounds just like my best customer. Her husband does the lawn for exersize, and I do the weed whacking/edging and shrubs every other week. She's demanding, and always says, " just tell me how much", and I do. You shouldn't be afraid of letting her know your hourly rate, unless you don't think you are worth it.
Pete

wojo23323
01-09-2003, 09:51 PM
The reason I don't like to give my hourly rate is most people think that $40 per hour is too much. I have had better luck just giving them a price for the job. I gave him a quote for pruning 3 times per year, but he doesnt want that. He wants every two weeks. It all depends on how fast the shrubs grow on how much pruning we will have to do. I think I will tell him we will do it by the hour, than next year we can put the shrub trimming price into his annual agreement.

Doc Pete
01-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by wojo23323
The reason I don't like to give my hourly rate is most people think that $40 per hour is too much.
Well, there ya go..........Ask them if they want me to prune their shrubs at $65/hour. Actually, I kinda feel like a lawyer, and am proud to tell them how much my "expert services" will cost them per hour!!;) ;)
Pete

gogetter
01-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Man, I'd love to have a customer like that!
I suppose you could do it two different ways.

1. Make the hedge trimming a seperate charge and go with your hourly rate.

Or

2. Add the extra time right into your regular weekly mowing fee, and just touch up what needs touching up each time your there. So if you spend an extra half hour there each week walking around and snipping here and snipping there, add $20 to his regular mowing fee.

devildog
01-10-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Turfdude
Privet hedge may grow that fast. Anyway, if the client is willing to pay for it, just estimate the number of hours to prune and multiply by your hourly rate. Add disposal fees if necessary. That way you get your hourly figure and client won't know what it is.

Bob

ditto, I would also add a schedule to this task. Thus your not doing harm to these ornamentals (pruning @ wrong time of year) with regards... devildog

Lanelle
01-10-2003, 08:42 AM
The VA Co-op Extension Service has numerous pruning guides with schedules available. Find them @ http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/anrpublications.html#DEPT177CAT2

ProMo
01-10-2003, 09:07 AM
i started trimming all of my accounts last year bi weekly (a few weekly) it takes me just as much time to trim 1x month as it does to trim 4x because there is nothing to pick up on my data of 50 accounts most worked out to 14 trims per year

devildog
01-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Lanelle
The VA Co-op Extension Service has numerous pruning guides with schedules available. Find them @ http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/anrpublications.html#DEPT177CAT2

Just checked this site, very informative, specifically for those in the Virginia region. Those seeking a more definative guide should secure a copy of the American Horticultral Society Encyclopedia. It describes 15,000+ plants within North American, all are assigned to one of 13 groups, with correct timing and methods of pruning. With Regards... devildog

wojo23323
01-31-2003, 04:31 PM
Well I'll be charging him by the hour for the shrub trimming. We met today for 1/2 hour and I sold him on our services. He had 6 other estimates and said I was the most exspensive. Out of the 7 companies that gave estimates, I was the only one to return calls in a timely manner and show up when I when i said I would be there. He said being reliable was the main reason he chose me.