PDA

View Full Version : Taxus problems

williamcustomlawn
07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
I need help identifying some yellowing/dying in some yews. These are in a cortyard in Northern Virginia. The yews in more shade show no signs of this dieback. The soil moisture is appropriate, i.e. no wet feet, and the PH is 6.3.

Notice that the leaves yellow then a brown spot apears in the middle of the leaf and then spreads to turn the leaf brown. Any ideas?

Thanks,
William

Dr.NewEarth
07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Is it clay soil though?

You can try scratching in, and then top dressing some peat moss to the top layer of soil around the roots.

Mark Oomkes
07-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Heat?

We've been seeing "sunburn" on burning bushes and nest spruce. At least that's all I can really figure out. The nest spruce damage looks very similar to that pic.

Think Green
08-04-2012, 08:07 AM
I could be wrong also but that does appear to be sunburn. A couple of weeks ago, the outside UV intensity was unbelievably high for the South. I am sure you guys experienced that same issue. These sensitive plants can't take direct exposure of these magnitudes.
The only other means is to send twig samples off to your State for testing.

williamcustomlawn
08-04-2012, 09:29 AM
That is the only thing I could think of, especially because these are in the sun, and the ones that have partial shade are less affected. I took sample to the co op, and will report their findings.

Thank you all!
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
08-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Heat?

We've been seeing "sunburn" on burning bushes and nest spruce. At least that's all I can really figure out. The nest spruce damage looks very similar to that pic.

Think your right.

I have two in front of my house, been there for 10 years and this has been a hot summer. First time I've seen mine do this.