PDA

View Full Version : RainBird ESP 4m Rain Sensor Issue

njchoochoo
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I am hoping that someone here would be able to help me with an issue I am having with my system. I have the above referenced controller with a Hunter rainclik wireless rain sensor. The sensor shows that the system should water. The controller has the alarm light lit with sensor displayed in the panel when the bypass switch is in the active position. I have tried reprogramming the system, and still have the same issue. I have powered the controller on and off, and reset the rain sensor with no success. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

GreenLight
07-30-2012, 07:31 PM
It sounds very much like you have a miswiring of the leads going from the receiver to the controller. I would double check this first.

njchoochoo
07-31-2012, 06:42 PM
This is a new symptom that started sometime during this watering season. Everything was fine up to shut down last season. No wires were moved or changed, and both are connected securely to the correct terminals on the controller. Thank you.

muddywater
07-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Has it rained lately? Alarm light coud mean the sensor is wet or disfunctional.

Put a jumper wire between the two rain sensor terminals inside the clock and see if the alarm goes off. If it does, your hunter sensor is bad.

njchoochoo
08-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Went to the controller and removed the existing sensor wires. Then placed a jumper wire on the two terminals and placed the bypass switch in active, and had the same result. The alarm light lit and sensor was displayed on the display. I guess this rules out an issue with the sensor. Any further suggestions? Thank you.

cjohn2000
08-05-2012, 01:44 PM
In the past month I have had to reboot the firmware on two RB ESP. Had one that had an alarm light on one particular zone and there was no fault. The other would only let you run a zone for 0-9 minutes.

njchoochoo
08-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. Cjohn2000, I have done a reset by setting the dial to seasonal adjustment and holding the arrows until cleared showed in the display. I am unsure of the procedure to reset the firmware, or even if I can do so as an end user. Thanks again.

cjohn2000
08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. Cjohn2000, I have done a reset by setting the dial to seasonal adjustment and holding the arrows until cleared showed in the display. I am unsure of the procedure to reset the firmware, or even if I can do so as an end user. Thanks again.
Thats how the RB tech support instructed on how to reset them. Not a big fan of that controller, for obvious reasons.

cjohn2000
08-05-2012, 03:20 PM
So you have disconnected the sensor and still the same issue. Can you manually run the zones without problems, from the controller?

muddywater
08-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Is the rain sensor switch in the non-active selection?

Have you looked at your user manual? Here is a pdf version.

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/man_ESPModular.pdf

Start at page 57. There are 21 things that could cause the alarm light to come on.

njchoochoo
08-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Cjohn2000 - I can run everything as long as the bypass switch is in bypass. Once it is placed in active, it shuts down as the alarm light illuminates and sensor is shown in the display panel.

Muddywater - The panel shows sensor in the display with the alarm LED lit. If the sensor is bypassed, everything works fine.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Cjohn2000 - I can run everything as long as the bypass switch is in bypass. Once it is placed in active, it shuts down as the alarm light illuminates and sensor is shown in the display panel.

Muddywater - The panel shows sensor in the display with the alarm LED lit. If the sensor is bypassed, everything works fine.

So if the sensor terminals are jump wired together, and you put the sensor switch on the controller on active the alarm light comes on?

It might be a defective face plate. It is hard to diagnose anything over the internet without a volt meter. It should have a date code on the back of the face plate. It might be under warranty if it is less than 2 years old. Or you could buy this one on ebay. Power needs to be off when you change the face plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rain-Bird-Front-Panel-For-ESP-4Mi-ESP-4M-Faceplate-Rainbird-ESPMFPUSAU-F38010-/280861501513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4164a66849

njchoochoo
08-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the information and the link. I will give this a shot over the next few weeks, and let you know if I was successful. I appreciate your help.