PDA

View Full Version : Longest 1/2 inch run from 1 inch trunk?

kluczenk
07-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi All-
I modifying an irrigation system for a homeowner who is adding sod where a planting bed once stood. I will be removing an existing rotor and putting in 2 new rotors in it's place to cover the existing area plus the new sod area. The main supply trunk appears to be 1 inch tubing and the existing rotor was split off using a 1,.5,1 T-fitting with the rotor being connected off the .5 inch reduction on the T.

The two new rotors will be about 15-20 feet away from the original rotor. My question is if I need to run 1 inch line from the exiting T location to the new rotors and then reduce them to 1/2 inch or if I can just take the existing 1,.5,1 T-fitting and run 1/2 inch line directly to each of the new rotors that are 15-20 feet away. Is that too far of a run? Just running the 1/2 inch line would be easier because I can use the existing fitting but don't want the new rotors to be undersupplied and would rather do 1 inch line if that's appropriate.

Thoughts?

Bigred350
07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
We dont run anything smaller than 1". I say cut the T out and run it all in 1".

Wet_Boots
07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
odds are great that the tee you are looking at is a swing-pipe-side-outlet tee, useful for only a short run to a single head

bcg
07-30-2012, 09:23 PM
If you don't know how to do the math to answer this, you probably shouldn't be doing it...

Just sayin...

jbell36
07-31-2012, 12:13 AM
odds are great that the tee you are looking at is a swing-pipe-side-outlet tee, useful for only a short run to a single head

X2...shouldn't go much farther than 4 feet or so with swing pipe to the head

the answer to your question is definitely no...you will need to cut the T out and connect a new pipe either using a coupler or a new pipe with a bell on it...then once you get within a short distance of the first head put that same fitting in there that you were originally talking about (1", 1/2", 1" T) and connect your first head...then run more pipe to the last head and put on an end coupler with a 1/2" swing pipe joint

irrig8r
07-31-2012, 12:25 AM
1/2" inlet rotors? Hunter PGJs or RB 3500s?