PDA

View Full Version : Demo tomorrow

Landscape Poet
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a demo tomorrow for a 36 RH Wright stander. This mower will be the primary mower for the next trailer to start. I will take photos assuming all goes well with timing tomorrow.

I also have upcoming demos for 36 Scag Stander, 36 inch ferris evolution, and am working on a toro grandstand 36. I am interested in this machines and just wished Hustler made one. It should be interesting to see how this all works out.

mjlcare2
07-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Keep us posted on your thoughts on each.. and the price they are asking haha

I'm looking to add one that size as well.. I tried a Toro Grandstand out.. was a little iffy if your a big guy.. your body weight sits behind the rear tires instead of over like the Wright standers, etc

Landscape Poet
07-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Keep us posted on your thoughts on each.. and the price they are asking haha

I'm looking to add one that size as well.. I tried a Toro Grandstand out.. was a little iffy if your a big guy.. your body weight sits behind the rear tires instead of over like the Wright standers, etc

That is one of the reasons I do not own one now, I am too damn tall and big to use them all day myself I think, but we will see as I have talked to dozen of guys that swear by them. I personally do not see the attraction but I do like the fact they not as long a the Z's so I can get more room on the trailers and keep the trailers small. We will see.
The Wright is the one that has my attention because I have seen some folks get good speed on them in lawns and they seem to leave a good cut at those speeds.
The Scag is the dealer suggestion as he said he can get it cheaper to me than the wright....we will see.
The Evolution I know will be the cheapest as it has been at my dealers for awhile now with no movement and I have already got him down on his price to what I consider a very reasonable amount.

Greg78
07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Good deal. I am looking to add a 36 stander as well, I am thinking of making it a main mower for the second rig.

Landscape Poet
07-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Good deal. I am looking to add a 36 stander as well, I am thinking of making it a main mower for the second rig.

Interesting. I started with a Hustler Mini Z 36 as my main mower down here, it was perfect as it allowed me the productivity I needed while not limiting me from doing the gated or small back lawns. I figured it would only make sense to start with a 36 for the second trailer and the wright standers in general seem to offer a quick and nimble mower while taking up less trailer room. Tomorrow will be the tell all if it is truly even a option.

Florida Gardener
07-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Interesting. I started with a Hustler Mini Z 36 as my main mower down here, it was perfect as it allowed me the productivity I needed while not limiting me from doing the gated or small back lawns. I figured it would only make sense to start with a 36 for the second trailer and the wright standers in general seem to offer a quick and nimble mower while taking up less trailer room. Tomorrow will be the tell all if it is truly even a option.

Haha, when I first saw the post I knew it was going to be about a 36" stander....go with wright. I own one and it's great. I have heard the RH has issues...since you cut mainly at aug at one height, I would stick with the FD....they have 0% for 48 months too...
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Haha, when I first saw the post I knew it was going to be about a 36" stander....go with wright. I own one and it's great. I have heard the RH has issues...since you cut mainly at aug at one height, I would stick with the FD....they have 0% for 48 months too...
Posted via Mobile Device

The demo is a RH - that is the one that I am most interested in as it does allow me to adjust if needed on the go with ease. What issues have you heard about the RH?
Financing should not be a issue as I am buying all the new stuff outright. I do not like having debt and that is part of the reason that I have limited my growth till now. Debt free is the place to be for me!:dancing::dancing:

Greg78
07-31-2012, 09:23 PM
The demo is a RH - that is the one that I am most interested in as it does allow me to adjust if needed on the go with ease. What issues have you heard about the RH?
Financing should not be a issue as I am buying all the new stuff outright. I do not like having debt and that is part of the reason that I have limited my growth till now. Debt free is the place to be for me!:dancing::dancing:

I need the RH as well. I operated with a fixed deck walk behind for almost a year and hated it when I needed to adjust cutting height.

Landscape Poet
07-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Hey Chris, also how does the wright do with the cutting edge? What I am asking is does the deck extend beyond the wheel base so you can get close to a object without leaving a section of uncut grass that has to be trimmed?

The reason I ask is that the 36 Mini Z that I have now I love for what we use it for but the wheels are wider than the deck so it leaves a strip of grass along all surfaces we mow where as my 48 x one allows me to get pretty darn close to any obstruction such as a house and does not require as much as trimming.

mjlcare2
07-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Do any of these standers get up to to 5"+ height you mow at.. I have an 08 46"exmark zturn that only gets up to 4.25 then transport height.. and an 09 48" exmark zturn that gets up to 5.5" so im curious how the standers do since their is such a big difference even on the same brand zturns. Fixed deck wouldn't work for me.. we change heights too much

Landscape Poet
07-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Do any of these standers get up to to 5"+ height you mow at.. I have an 08 46"exmark zturn that only gets up to 4.25 then transport height.. and an 09 48" exmark zturn that gets up to 5.5" so im curious how the standers do since their is such a big difference even on the same brand zturns. Fixed deck wouldn't work for me.. we change heights too much

The wright is the only one that I know of for sure as I specifically asked about this. The wright is goes up to 5 inches. This is the front runner in my mind before any actual demos are done so I have inquired a little more about it than the others.

I know that ferris generally goes to 5 on the Z's I have used or owned from them.

The scag and the toro I honestly have no idea but will report back as I demo them.

mjlcare2
08-01-2012, 12:04 AM
http://www.wrightmfg.com/uploads/files/WRIGHT-STANDER-RH_SPECS.pdf

looks like it goes up to 5"

Florida Gardener
08-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Can't remember, but I've heard complaints about the RH both from people and dealers...
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
08-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey Chris, also how does the wright do with the cutting edge? What I am asking is does the deck extend beyond the wheel base so you can get close to a object without leaving a section of uncut grass that has to be trimmed?

The reason I ask is that the 36 Mini Z that I have now I love for what we use it for but the wheels are wider than the deck so it leaves a strip of grass along all surfaces we mow where as my 48 x one allows me to get pretty darn close to any obstruction such as a house and does not require as much as trimming.
You know as bad as it sounds, I've never paid attention to that...I believe it is flush with the tires....I think the RH tires stick out further though.,.not 100% but that's what I recall.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/405230_509775429037348_355999597_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/217887_509775312370693_1260970338_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/406364_509775245704033_1814952579_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/599853_509775509037340_1968429875_n.jpg

Review to follow in a little bit.

Florida Gardener
08-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Did u buy it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-01-2012, 11:07 PM
You know as bad as it sounds, I've never paid attention to that...I believe it is flush with the tires....I think the RH tires stick out further though.,.not 100% but that's what I recall.
Posted via Mobile Device

My 36" Sentar is flush with the tires, it only becomes an issue for me on wavy garden edges or sharp curves.

PS I love my 36" Sentar, but I actually took the seat off because I have a few hilly properties and found it wanted to wheelie quite a bit. Works just fine standing once you get use to the handle being a little lower.

Florida Gardener
08-01-2012, 11:16 PM
My 36" Sentar is flush with the tires, it only becomes an issue for me on wavy garden edges or sharp curves.

PS I love my 36" Sentar, but I actually took the seat off because I have a few hilly properties and found it wanted to wheelie quite a bit. Works just fine standing once you get use to the handle being a little lower.

RH or FD?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Rapid height, they just changed the name from Sentar to Sport. If anything it maybe hangs out an inch, see attached pic.http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=250967&stc=1&d=1339812916

Florida Gardener
08-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Rapid height, they just changed the name from Sentar to Sport. If anything it maybe hangs out an inch, see attached pic.http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=250967&stc=1&d=1339812916
Yea, that's negligible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-01-2012, 11:49 PM
To Chris - no I did not buy - I still have many more to demo before I am even close to considering the final purchase. After talking to Rob tonight from here on lawnsite in front of my house I did not even consider the Exmark stander which is now on my demo list. So we are weeks away from a purchase at the earliest because my plan is to demo one every wednesday over the next few weeks on the same properties so they all get a consistent review and no unfair consideration is given to any because maybe it just functioned better on that property.

On this wright stander. Here are my thoughts. The engine HP seemed like it was going to be enough for a 36 inch mower. I was rather happy to see that it was the Kawi 18.5. My assumption that it would be enough HP was correct. The machine did not have a issue getting through the thick tall turf and never really had any issues that made me think it was under powered.

This one came with the seat...I did not request it but am I glad that it did have it. One of my big hold offs on the standers has always been when mowing on properties with young trees - the tree had not grown enough to be clear out of your way when standing on a stander creating more trimming which of course is not as good on the turf as actually being cut and is of course more labor intensive. The seat allowed me to seat as low if not lower than my Z's and helped alleviate what could of been a problem.
Cut - I will say that the mower cut well enough...clean cuts...no bogging issues even in the thick turf we were on.

Issues I had a issue with - The mower is squirrely is the best way I can describe it. It takes awhile to get used to the controls, so if you are a traditional Z owner, make sure you get a long demo before rushing to judgement. It took me most of the day well into the afternoon until I felt really truly comfortable with the controls and the machine. This machine almost seems like it functions best at full speed.

Next up was how stable I felt the machine was. We were not on extremely uneven properties today but almost all of them are waterfront with a slight swell on the property. The front end popped up on me several times while trying to cut on these slight inclines with both front wheels slightly leaving the ground for a moment. At first I thought It was just me being the larger athletic build that I am and the weight which I carry..but my assistant who is smaller also experienced the same issue on properties.

Next up. The fuel tank. The Rep made sure the tank was full upon its arrival to the dealer. Good thing because it only holds 5 gallons from what I can tell from refueling. This is not enough to make it through our typical days. Maybe I am just spoiled with the Hustlers having duel tanks...but 5 gallons on any commercial mower seems to be a little low IMHO.

The Hydros - again if you are a traditional Z owner - these have a totally different feel to them that you will be used too. The are VERY responsive. The is not really any damper in them. My main concern with this - divots in the lawns. As I said I got more and more comfortable with the machine as the day went on, I started the day with 8 hrs and ended with 11.5, but even when showing to Rob, he mentioned how much the wheels seemed to tear the turf as compared to the Mini Z that him and I both have in common.

The machine has what they call Rapid Height adjustment. Well that is not really true. I guess compared to a fixed deck then yes it is Rapid, but compared to a Hustler ...nope. The pin which is used to hold the adjustable lever in place is held on by a thin wire with no circular ring etc to give you something to pull it out for quick adjustment. You really have to tug at it to get it out as a result. This is something that can be fixed with ease if the machine really interest you, but is a simple fix that I think Wright should be able to make.

The motor is the front.....well that means all the heat is blowing back at you including the exhuast. I know this is going to be the case most likely with all stand on machines on the market, but being a Z owner...it catches you off guard.

The machine does not have speeds that I was expecting. After seeing many Wrights seem like they are flying through yards I was really expecting a much quicker machine. I am assuming this is something on the 36 inch models as I know I have seen some Wrights just out and out fly...but this one although not slow...was not exactly fast either in the straight aways.

The last thing I really did not enjoy about the machine that I can think of right now....the handles seemed to be to close the the operator for either my assistant who is smaller or my self who is larger. They needed to be more forward for comfort reasons. Which is another thing that Z users need to be aware of...you fingers will be sore after using this for the first day. You are constantly apply pressure for the forward motion with your thumbs and not your entire hand like on a Z.

Clipping dispersal - very good. The mower seemed to do a good job of holding the clippings in the deck and the discharge was limited because it almost seemed to be muclhing it better than a regular Z. At one point we got a 20 minute rain - went in to a lawn that is normally cut at 5 inches....and no clumping or dispersal issues. The actual amount of clippings seemed very limited. I was really impressed with this.

One last thing - unlike with a Z...if your boot laces come undone....it will catch on the tire.

Positives - Machine seems solid and well build for durability. The cut quality seems to be good enough. The machine is responsive - almost to its on fault with the turf divots it can create, but none the less I was impressed with how it functioned in some tight areas. The seat alleviates some of the issues you might face without it.

Overall - it seems like a decent enough machine. After using today I really feel like it will limit my workers performance through a course of a day vs sitting on a smaller similar Z. Maybe I am wrong and another one of these standers will make me fall in love with them but it will not be this one. Maybe I needed another model? Not sure but over all a decent mower but I will take a Hustler Mini Z for a number of reasons any day.

I know there is more that I wanted to share both good and bad...but it is late and I am worn the heck out.

I should have the next demo next wed. so keep a eye out for that I guess.

Landscape Poet
08-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Ahhh yes...the deck sticks out far enough that it does not create a issue with leaving too much trimming to be done against structures as the previous poster mentioned.

Greg78
08-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Its a shame the Wright didn't live up to expectations. I wonder if you had gotten the true Stander and not the Sport/Sentar if that would have made much of a difference?

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Its a shame the Wright didn't live up to expectations. I wonder if you had gotten the true Stander and not the Sport/Sentar if that would have made much of a difference?

I definitely think its a different experience. I ran regular standers for a few years before getting my sentar/sport and it is quite a different feel. I love it now that I am use to it again but its a learning curve that's for sure. They are mean to be used sitting down so standing can be awkward. But on the same note while sitting your arms are kinda high.

Its a cross between a true stander and a sit down and I think its a field that could use lots of improvement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-06-2012, 10:54 PM

After returning the mower to the dealer and feeling the regular standers again, I am almost certain of it. He is going to see if his rep can get a demo of the regular 36 inch in . I would bet this would help a lot of the issues.

He is also still working on the 36 Scag stander....does not sound like a demo might be available.....guess they are reworking the current model if I understood correctly.

Florida Gardener
08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Mike I think you need to try a regular stander. The Sentar is basically a Z IMO....I think you will find the regular stander better. The Wright stander has become very popular here in the last few years. I see the most Wrights as far as standers are concerned. The v-ride by scag would be second but not even close.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Tomorrow is the Toro Grandstand. I have already picked it up. A interesting non basic feature they have on the demo for me is that it has the weights added to the front. Interesting.

mjlcare2
08-21-2012, 11:11 PM
absolute best of luck tomorrow.. I had an extremely difficult time keeping the front tires on the ground with my 300+lb frame.. I'm big.. not fat.. lol the rear wheels sit forward of the platform to stand on so I imagine the extra weights will come in handy!

Patriot Services
08-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Having used Wrights for years we swear by them. They do take a little getting used to. I demo'd a vride and gstand, didnt like either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
08-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Having used Wrights for years we swear by them. They do take a little getting used to. I demo'd a vride and gstand, didnt like either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed. Haven't demoed the other 2, but I have no need, the Wright is awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
absolute best of luck tomorrow.. I had an extremely difficult time keeping the front tires on the ground with my 300+lb frame.. I'm big.. not fat.. lol the rear wheels sit forward of the platform to stand on so I imagine the extra weights will come in handy!

MJ - there are some options that were on my demo that big guys like myself and you will enjoy.

To all....I am too exhuasted at this point to give a good review. It will come later.

Landscape Poet
08-24-2012, 06:26 PM
All right. The toro grandstand. Just like the last one I could not get a demo of exactly what I wanted. I wanted the current market 36 inch grandstand. That was not a option, the closest the rep had was a 40 inch with the 18.5 hp kawi. The current year model offers a 15 hp kawi ...so not the same in size or hp.

First thing first. The rep did not bother to make sure the machine had gas unlike the Wright rep did. The toro was damn near empty when we picked it up. Not a big deal but it did stick out in the mind that the Wright rep made sure we had a new machine, full of gas. In this demo we got a 200 hour old machine with next to no gas. It is the little things like this that sometimes set me off.

On to the machine. First thing the morning of the demo I wanted to break it out on a estate that we take care of in which the easement area has a large incline which makes it hard for a level cut most of the time without a couple of passes to smooth things out. I go to get the machine off the trailer, it comes off with no issue as I have the deck lifted and I am operating it like a WB, one of the neat options on this machine. I get it off the trailer and flip the stand down, go to kick the blades on and .....nothing. Blades will not turn on. I tried shutting the machine down, checked the machine, could not figure out what safety device was stopping the blades from engaging, so I loaded the machine back on the trailer and proceed to use our normal Hustler Mowers.

We went to unload the machine thinking the demo day was a lose as the dealer was closed for the day when we discovered the key was to ensure the right throttle cable was held appropriately to engage the blades. So off we went.

The machine had the weights option in the front which is not standard, it also had a mulching kit on it which is not standard.

The machine leave a great cut. I was particularly impressed with the size of clippings left behind after being in the deck. They were extremely small letting me know the machine did what it was suppose to. At one point we trimmed some plumbagos and instead of raking them up we tested running the clippings over with machine. The clippings were of a larger size as the hedge had not been trimmed in awhile and after running over once at a reasonable speed with the mower, there was no evidence that they had ever been there...this with one pass. So needless to say it does great mulching.

The power was good for cutting. No real issues with it bogging down or really any lack of power in performance of the machine as built. The cut itself was very nice. I was impressed that the machine did leave

Overall the machine comfort level was nice on the day of the demo. If you have used a wb, you will enjoy the ability to lean around etc without worrying about anything being in your way. The reason I said above that the comfort was good that day...was the next day I and my assistant that demoed felt everything in our back and knees. Maybe we are spoiled with our Z's ....but either way....the pain was there and made me think standers may not be a option.

The weights in the front were a added plus. They kept the machine from popping up as much on the same inclines that the wright faced a couple weeks back. This is not to say that this machines front tires did not leave the turf several times, but rather, that the it held itself in place much more than the wright stander, I am guessing due to the non standard weights placed in front. I am guessing that they would be very similar in that likely hood of popping up if the weights were not there but I do not know this for sure of course.

The controls were very smooth on the grandstand compared to the wright. They did not seem as squirrely for a lack of a better term The tires did not seem to go from stopped to burn out like it did on the wright, rather they gradually gained gripped and picked up the pace. Everything was well placed on the control panel imho.

The height adjustment was actually easier than the Wright rapid height adjustment to a larger pin system which allowed for quicker removal and placement of the pin.

I liked the fact that if you felt uncomfortable on a incline, you simply could kick up the large platform and use this machine within a comfortable range just like a walk behind such as getting it on and off the trailer.

The braking system is a joke just like wrights, except that it atleast attempts to hold both tires, a quality that the wright did not.

My largest area of concern about this machine....productivity. Which amazes me as everyone tells me how productive their standers are. Well I am not seeing it. For young trees, you are bending and or getting off the mowers. If the dwelling is a single story home and they have dish or direct tv and you are a taller person...watch your head at all times :D . But most importantly....neither of these machines are as fast as the Hustlers we currently run. They simply are not as productive hands down.

At this point if I do buy any of these standers it will because it saves room on the trailers....not productivity. Which to me does not mean much as it is not a big deal if I can fit three of them on a trailer if they are not as fast as the Hustlers ....then I would just assume have the two Hustles.

I don't know...maybe one of the other demos will change my mind but at this point I am loading the new trailers with two Z's , as I simply do not see the crazy productivity or cost savings of these machines, however, if I had to buy from these too, the grandstand would be it...but also keep in mind that the wright was not a true stander which could of changed my whole outlook.

Greg78
08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't know...maybe one of the other demos will change my mind but at this point I am loading the new trailers with two Z's , as I simply do not see the crazy productivity or cost savings of these machines, however, if I had to buy from these too, the grandstand would be it...but also keep in mind that the wright was not a true stander which could of changed my whole outlook.

Probably going to go the same way on our new trailer except only 1 Z another 52". My Dad is hitting the mid 50's and he don't want to stand up to mow.

After reading about your demo we have a lot of the same type of situations with trees and T.V dishes, we also have a couple residences with aluminum awnings (I'm sure they're called something else) over the windows. They almost hit my head while running the whip, I'd probably knock myself out on a stander.

Landscape Poet
08-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Probably going to go the same way on our new trailer except only 1 Z another 52". My Dad is hitting the mid 50's and he don't want to stand up to mow.

After reading about your demo we have a lot of the same type of situations with trees and T.V dishes, we also have a couple residences with aluminum awnings (I'm sure they're called something else) over the windows. They almost hit my head while running the whip, I'd probably knock myself out on a stander.

I say set up a demo for yourself if you can as your opinion may always be different, but as for me I am pretty sure standers are not in the future for the next trailer. The main concerns will be wear on employees as well as lose of productivity. The speed difference could be several yards in a day IMHO.

Greg78
08-27-2012, 05:14 PM
I say set up a demo for yourself if you can as your opinion may always be different, but as for me I am pretty sure standers are not in the future for the next trailer. The main concerns will be wear on employees as well as lose of productivity. The speed difference could be several yards in a day IMHO.

I had a demo Wednesday last week. We had our choice of a 52" Lazer Z or a eXmark Vantage. I wanted to take out the Vantage but pops was having no part of it. We actually preferred our older eXmark Lazer Z over the newer one.

bradsmowing
04-17-2013, 12:15 AM
what dealer are you using I got a hustler super z 37hp 60in from mowers inc in sarasota he has a lot instock and alot of brands and is a very good dealer beat my local dealer by $ 1200.oo

mowersinc.net

he is having a big sale next friday with dealer reps on site