PDA

View Full Version : Odd trailer tire wear + what tires are working best for you?

ProStreetCamaro
08-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Our 6X12 open trailer wears the tires out fast. Trailer is level and load distributed evenly. Has load range C tires on it and we are never over 3000 pounds so the C rated tires rated at 1800 each "should" be sufficient. Tire pressure I run slightly over inflated at 40psi. BUT the outside edge and inside edge wears out very quickly on both tires? I get about a year out of a set before the cords start showing along the edges. This leads to me think they are under inflated but clearly they are not.

Do you guys think a D rated tire would have a better contact patch and hold up better? Which tires have you had good luck with?

vaacutabove
08-01-2012, 03:08 PM
check bearings jack it up I would be willing to bet there is a bunch of side to side play. higher tire rating always last longer.

dieselss
08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Yea,,ck those hubs, bearings. Look at the axle as well...make sure its not bent. What kinda tires are they? Brand?
Posted via Mobile Device

C Jovingo Landscaping
08-01-2012, 09:06 PM
If I'm understanding correctly the inside & outside edge on both tires are wearing, NOT inside edge on 1 tire & outside edge on the other tire. Both edges worn on 1 tire if i remember correctly sounds like under inflation & wear in center is over inflation. Double check recomended PSI on tire. If you always use same tire gauge, try another incase gauge isn't reading accurate.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN
08-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Radial tires do not wear like biase ply. Run them at the pressure that is rated on the tire.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-02-2012, 01:04 AM
I ditched my bias ply range C tires after only 4 months of use. Went to Carlisle radials load range D, just last week. I had better get at least a couple years out of these. Those bias-ply tires were absolute Chinese crap.

ffemt1271
08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
I have a 6x12 that did that, i quit buying trailer tires and got a set of radial light truck tires. They are working out great
Posted via Mobile Device

BROWNS LAWN CARE
08-08-2012, 12:12 AM
i just got a used 5x10 trailer with bias ply tires. worn on the inside and outside.

when i checked the air pressure they were at 15-20 PSI....

needless to say it needs tires. i am gonna go radial too...

(so after checking the trailer tires i decided to check the ZTR that came with it... back tires are supposed to be 15-18 PSI, mine were about 10... front tires supposed to be 20-25 PSI, they were also around 10. the guy that owned this stuff either never checked or keep them low on purpose)

hosejockey2002
08-08-2012, 12:31 AM
My stock bias ply tires on my 6x12 also wore out quick. I replaced them with radials and the ride is much better, but time will tell if they wear as well.

maelawncare
08-08-2012, 07:06 AM
They are wearing normal. On a dual axle trailer you are going to wear them like because of turning. Rotate them once a month and don't make so many sharp turns. Look at your tires in your mirror when you make a turn, you will see the rubber twist in and out.

I also keep my mower tries at 10psi for my big ones. Smooths the ride out on rought yards.

lazer 46
08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I have a 6x12 that came with junk bias tires. They wore out unevenly before the first season was done. I put on carlisle radial trailer tires and I'm on my 3rd season and they are wearing evenly.

rob7233
08-08-2012, 08:51 PM
i quit buying trailer tires and got a set of radial light truck tires. They are working out great

I read that you're not supposed to use auto/truck tires on a trailer(safety issue?) but I can't recall why.

.... Maybe something about the stability of the sidewall?

ffemt1271
08-16-2012, 10:57 PM
read that you're not supposed to use auto/truck tires on a trailer(safety issue?) but I can't recall why

Been using them for 10 seasons now and never had a problem
Posted via Mobile Device

jetta
08-17-2012, 09:57 AM
yes weak side walls

maelawncare
08-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Most tires that will fit on a trailer rim are for small cars. Rated at way less weight than a trailer tire. If you have a small 6x12 trailer they're fine. Equipment trailers or big enclosed trailers, forget about it.

lazer 46
08-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Most tires that will fit on a trailer rim are for small cars. Rated at way less weight than a trailer tire. If you have a small 6x12 trailer they're fine. Equipment trailers or big enclosed trailers, forget about it.

The fist 6x12 trailer I bought over 10 years ago was a Parker Performance trailer and it actually came with car tires on it.

ffemt1271
08-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Thats what i have is a pasker performance 77" x 12', but run the same tires on my 20' z 83" ooen trailer too
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
08-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I ditched my bias ply range C tires after only 4 months of use. Went to Carlisle radials load range D, just last week. I had better get at least a couple years out of these. Those bias-ply tires were absolute Chinese crap.
They lasted less than a year......it was the brake tire. Local lawn dealer is selling iron man tires. They are a lto cheaper so we will see about wear.

mjlcare2
08-25-2012, 10:26 PM
why don't you talk to a professional tire guy instead of professional (some at least) lawn guys.. Your problem is in the inflation and your probably buying junk bias ply tires.. spend a little more money on better radials and you wont be replacing them every year.. you can use tires for "cars" on trailers.. standard trailer tire size, 5 lug- 205/75/15, 6 lug-225/75/15, 8 lug- 235/85/16 ..many heavy equipment trailer owners switch from "trailer tires" to light truck tires, load range E because they hold up longer.. the key to any sidewall flex is in CORRECT air pressure not to be confused with max air pressure

caseysmowing
08-29-2012, 09:15 AM
I was about to start a thread on this. My trailer is brand new and has about 5000 miles on it and the inside of the tires are all messed up. The tire says 50psi but they were at 35 so I moved them up a little. Looks like I'll be buying some radial tires. Why do people make cheap sh$t????