PDA

View Full Version : Is this your slow time of the season?

johnnybow
08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi all, this is my second year working for myself and it seems like there is a big rush in the spring and fall and then its almost like a lull during the middle of the summer? Anybody else have that in there area? thanks john

gcbailey
08-01-2012, 03:51 PM
well it's usually our "sustaining" season, we had a very bad hot/dry spell from mid june till mid july, but for some strange reason we've started getting quite a few calls from new mowing/trimming clients the past week.

C Jovingo Landscaping
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
well it's usually our "sustaining" season, we had a very bad hot/dry spell from mid june till mid july, but for some strange reason we've started getting quite a few calls from new mowing/trimming clients the past week.

Are you in area hit by drought? (On cell can't see your location) The newbies probably gave up the business when they weren't makin money.
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM
yes...very bad...water restrictions and all. luckily the rain has broke loose some. we are on the southern wv/va boarder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
The drought slowed everything down! Happens every year.

nickslawnltd
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
July is generally slow for us as we are in cottage country. Kids are out of school, people on vacation or entertaining at the cottage so the calls dry up and lawns are usually dry. More so this year obviously.

This year has been different we aren't swamped with calls but the phone is still ringing for small to medium landscape jobs. Hopefully it keeps up till the leaves start falling

Mahoney3223
08-01-2012, 08:14 PM
everything is slow with this drought!

HPSInc
08-02-2012, 03:07 AM
july was slow for me last yr and has been again this year. i got the rush of everybody wanting work done and either ya do it or it can go elsewhere. most are patient and wait for me but i doubt i can get people calling in april to wait til july for me to show up. so after months of knocking out jobs left and right i am pretty much just doing my commercial maintenance work and spending a little more time on them. and just picked up a couple commercial landscape jobs. no real good residential work lately has come my way. bunch of deadbeats a few weeks ago. but before that it was pretty hectic working longggg days doing residential work. i think its tricky to book work these months. if they want the job done early in the season they wont wana wait til now. so you gota find those who actually want work done now. my plan is to fill up a full week of commercial maintenance if i do indeed wana stay a small company and not worry about months like this in the future.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
08-02-2012, 07:46 AM
The drought has hit us on Cape Cod as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, we got too much rain again this spring.

That slowed down the calls and made it hard to do some things.

July and August are normally hot and slow here. The grass does not grow as much. Hopefully by now we have caught up to all of the extra tasks that needed to be done.

Vancouver has water restrictions every summer. We can get drought conditions too, but all that rain the last two springs had us floating.

The recession and higher taxes here have also slowed down the business. I hope it picks up for the Autumn.

MV Property Care
08-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Hi all, this is my second year working for myself and it seems like there is a big rush in the spring and fall and then its almost like a lull during the middle of the summer? Anybody else have that in there area? thanks john

Hey John,

Are you advertising? Join the chamber of commerce and start networking. I give out small magnetic calenders, ink pens, tablets with my info printed on it. I tell future customers that I have some gifts for you. Everybody likes free stuff. Maybe get a website for more exposure. How about yard signs. If your looking for mowing customers try to find out who owns rentals in your area. If you already have mowing customers try to offer any other services. Hedge trimming, fert, etc. I know you will do well.

matt.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-11-2012, 10:55 AM
August is always a bit slower, but a nice little break before the last big push into the fall. Work on selling a few smaller jobs or services....stump grinding, over seeding jobs for Sept, brush clearing, etc. This time of year, take a good look at your properties while you are there mowing or whatever and then recommend services that need to be done. Do small things that show your customers you care, go the extra mile, solidify your presence in the area with charity work, anything for promotion and shows you are the best. =D