PDA

View Full Version : Drive XLR8 Performance, my take

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Have been hearing some mediocre comments on here lately about Drive XLR8's performance on crab. Thought I would chime in.

I have backpacked a handful of lawns that developed crab around mostly boundaries between concrete and lawn. Used the 1.45 oz/gal/K rate and added Chameleon spreader/sticker (note I DID NOT use MSO). Also had Vessel (3 way) and Turflon Ester in the mix, so pretty potent one. Used electric backpack with adjustable cone tip.
Sprayed each of those lawns about 1 week ago. Crabgrass was in a pretty mature stage at that point, almost to the point of heading out.

Came back to mow 2 of those lawns today. Crabgrass was 90-100% TOASTED. I was very pleasantly surprised after some of you guys had poor luck. I will continue to use this product as it works well the way I applied it.

DA

MTC314
08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I too have great results using drive on crabgrass. I sprayed and checked back 3 days later and it was all dying fast (brown, purple, and yellow). I think the kill rate is much faster than Acclaim and will continue to use Drive.

grassman177
08-01-2012, 07:52 PM
ive been happy once i switched to mso. never heard of the surfactant you mentioned.

a week later the crab is smoked as you described, but did get some burn on the grass as well dealing with all this crazy heat and extreme drought conditions. the burn will grow out fine

peanut54
08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Any tips on broadcasting as we are just being overrun with crabgrass as we had a lot of dead spots in the yards from the drought. Also is a sticker a MUST? We are new this year and learning as we go.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
I'll have to let others respond to this as I have just been spot spraying sidewalks and hell strips for break through. I use Chameleon non ionic sticker with label rate XLR8 and it has worked very nicely.

lawns Etc
08-15-2012, 12:30 AM
It works without the sticker but you usually need a second app a week later to finish off the kill. Use any non ionic surfectant and its very good.
Posted via Mobile Device

pinto n mwr
08-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Have been hearing some mediocre comments on here lately about Drive XLR8's performance on crab. Thought I would chime in.

I have backpacked a handful of lawns that developed crab around mostly boundaries between concrete and lawn. Used the 1.45 oz/gal/K rate and added Chameleon spreader/sticker (note I DID NOT use MSO). Also had Vessel (3 way) and Turflon Ester in the mix, so pretty potent one. Used electric backpack with adjustable cone tip.
Sprayed each of those lawns about 1 week ago. Crabgrass was in a pretty mature stage at that point, almost to the point of heading out.

Came back to mow 2 of those lawns today. Crabgrass was 90-100% TOASTED. I was very pleasantly surprised after some of you guys had poor luck. I will continue to use this product as it works well the way I applied it.

DA

you must shop at Reinders?

RigglePLC
08-15-2012, 10:16 PM
I had good luck in my test two weeks ago. The excess rate worked fast, but it was a bit tough on the grass. Stay with the recommended rate; add sticker; allow about a week.

chemrh
08-16-2012, 12:31 PM

DA

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how have you liked that ShurFlo Electric Backpack Sprayer? I've been doing a little research and just wanted to get the opinion of someone who uses one on a regular basis.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Shurflo BP is nice, I don't carry 4 gallons on my back though as it kills your back and shoulders. 3 gals max. My suggestion if you buy it: get a 2nd battery and if you can, one with a longer run time. Nothing more frustrating than charging your battery overnight then having it last like one lawn before pooping out.

chemrh
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Shurflo BP is nice, I don't carry 4 gallons on my back though as it kills your back and shoulders. 3 gals max. My suggestion if you buy it: get a 2nd battery and if you can, one with a longer run time. Nothing more frustrating than charging your battery overnight then having it last like one lawn before pooping out.

Not a bad idea. Thanks for the help!

meets1
08-16-2012, 02:48 PM
DA quailty - PM sent

White Gardens
08-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Couple of years ago we had a major CG outbreak.

I ended up spraying about 2.5 acres of mature CG with Drive and the Non-Ionic Surfactant recommended.

I goofed and only put down about half the recommended rate, but still stunted the CG enough to keep a good control the rest of the season. Basically it never completely matured out after each time it was mowed.

So I don't understand either why anyone would have issues with it. On top of it, I got great residual control on other weeds also.