PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the right thing?

williams lcm
08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
I was in a neighborhood today cutting grass. As me and my helper finished mowing a customers lawn a lady walks up to me and ask if I could cut her grass today. I don't try to judge people but she was missing alot of her teeth and wearing ugly purple clothing. I took one look at her property and kindly said "no". I told her I was too busy and have rain in the forecast today. She said her mower broke down a few weeks ago and it was in the shop. Well, the grass was teribble bahia that has not been edged or weed wacked in months or years. She dose not fert or irrigate lawn. It is very sandy and tall. She had chain link fencing around the back yard with 3 sheds with junk in and around them. I would have done it if it was nice St.Augustine. I just put a nice sharp set of blades on in the morning for my nice lawns. I told her to ask her neighbor across the street who is a new and upcoming LCO and he would do it for her since I new the guy. She said ok. Was I wrong for doing this or should I have just cut it for her? I would have charged her a preminum for this cut but in my mind said it would not be worth the hassle. Any input on what you LCO's would have done.

MR-G
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
as long as there was time in our schedule and her money was green and she is willing to pay the price we ask....sure , why not ? after all we are in it to make money not win a beauty contest...you were already there, so the lawn would have netted a good amount since you had no travel time on it....as far as sharp blades, we sharpen every day so its not an issue for us....imho you never want to leave money on the table.....

Greg78
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Wouldn't have cut it either. We don't do one time cuts.

easy-lift guy
08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Regardless of her dental challenges or fashion statement, I would not have done the lawn becuse I am and have been to busy.
easy-lift guy

Landscape Poet
08-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Depends on my day. Much like your day today - I was worried about the storm clouds moving in and would of refused service today. It is not worth being behind for me. If I felt I was in good standing on the schedule and could of fit it in, I would of did it but of course made it worth my time.
Last Friday I mowed one because I was off and the lady's mower was in the shop. It was Bahia dustbowl and a acre at that. But the key was I was off anyway and just had a few things I had to do...they lady paid nicely ....and my wife and I had a very nice dinner out that night which cost me a hour of my time .
Like G said - try not to leave money on the table but evaluate lawns like that in a case by case.

Florida Gardener
08-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I would have passed...too busy to cut down someone's hayfield. Plus, you run over stuff, that's your problem to deal with. Not worth it to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

OakNut
08-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I would have passed...too busy to cut down someone's hayfield. Plus, you run over stuff, that's your problem to deal with. Not worth it to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here. I need the money, but it's not worth risking the equipment that's making me that money.

Do what feels right and screw what anyone on some interweb forum tells you.

South Florida Lawns
08-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Some people just let the grass grow then bother some lawn dude cutting the neighbors for a one time deal saying that their mower is broke in the shop.

Most of the time I give a high price and pass but I have helped a few desperate people out, (lady with 3 young kids a dog and a husband out of town) that couldn't get the mower started after 3 weeks of rain. You can kinda tell when someone is i need of help and not just lazy.