PDA

View Full Version : Lawns are SMOKED!!!

rcreech
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
We have been getting a little rain here where I live and a lot around our marketing area and you can see the lawns that are recovering and the lawns that are not.

For the most part...lawns in full sun are smoked!!!!

It is going to be a crazy fall for seeding and renovating.

I can't believe how lawns in the shade are recovering.

That direct/full sun wacked the crap out of them.

grassman177
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
the renovation season sounds great, but with no rain expected for even our fall, it is actually looking quite grim here.

btw, sup rod, not talked in quite some time.

ted putnam
08-01-2012, 08:43 PM
We have many that if I drove by and threw a match out the window as I drove by they would explode. Some are big lawns out in the country and some are small ones without irrigation. Some people have just given up trying to keep them watered. It was 110 Monday, 107 yesterday and today it was supposed to be 106.
I'm leaving a "drought" flyer at the ones I pass by. I'm treating irrigated lawns and ones that are still in decent condition. Just enough of them to keep me/myself somewhat busy. Had to lay my guys off.
Up until a couple of weeks ago, the larger companies were doing lawns no matter what they looked like. I think people are getting pissed. Ive heard through the grapevine people are starting to call in on them. I hope me being responsible about this will pay off later.

Grassman...good to see you post.:waving:

grassman177
08-01-2012, 09:59 PM
hey ted, i am on here, but dont post as much cuz most topics are typical newbie threads, and i have been more in irrigation right now.

Service 1st Lawn Care
08-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Looked at the national long term forecast, although they obviously can be wrong they have this drought warm weather going clear into 2013. Makes me wonder if will even have any snow this winter, all can change at this time doing a lot of praying it does. Smoked lawns don't seem to be stopping the national companies and the large franchises. SHAMEFUL:confused:

White Gardens
08-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Our lawns have been smoked for at least 7 + weeks now. Now were starting to see death in the dormant lawns from the lack of water. Getting very depressing.

I got in a second round of fert late spring, in the rain, and since then I've shut down everything to do with lawn apps.

Only good thing from my apps this year is with the barricade I put down and the herbicide app, my smoked lawns don't have hardly any weeds in them if at all.

ted putnam
08-02-2012, 12:19 AM
hey ted, i am on here, but dont post as much cuz most topics are typical newbie threads, and i have been more in irrigation right now.

I talked to a local irrigation supplier today and got owners manuals on a couple of the most common control units and told them to give me a "heads up" on any workshops/classes Rainbird or Hunter is going to put on over the next few months. Repairs could be filling in the gaps right now. I have a large customer base to tap in to and just haven't. There is a local company with several employees that does nothing but repairs. The owner does his best to avoid new installs altogether...He makes a very good living doing nothing but irrigation repairs.

Looked at the national long term forecast, although they obviously can be wrong they have this drought warm weather going clear into 2013. Makes me wonder if will even have any snow this winter, all can change at this time doing a lot of praying it does. Smoked lawns don't seem to be stopping the national companies and the large franchises. SHAMEFUL:confused:

AGREED! Some people can sleep at night no matter what they do...

BonesMalone
08-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Our lawns have been smoked for at least 7 + weeks now. Now were starting to see death in the dormant lawns from the lack of water. Getting very depressing.

I got in a second round of fert late spring, in the rain, and since then I've shut down everything to do with lawn apps.

Only good thing from my apps this year is with the barricade I put down and the herbicide app, my smoked lawns don't have hardly any weeds in them if at all.

Just hope the Barricade is gone in September when you overseed, my guess it will still be there because the lack of rain this summer. Just my 2 cents worth.

DLCS
08-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Well, good news is that its cooling down next week with highs in the low 80's to upper 70's. Will it help, probably not. I'm sick of watching the weather, did it all last winter waiting on snow, now waiting on rain. Everything I hear is bad for this upcoming winter too.

olcllc
08-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Some people have just given up trying to keep them watered.

Even those that want to can't due to cost and this morning's paper makes it impossible to keep them alive.

http://enidnews.com/featuredstory/x1962237117/City-bans-sprinklers-reduces-water-usage-effective-immediately

White Gardens
08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Just hope the Barricade is gone in September when you overseed, my guess it will still be there because the lack of rain this summer. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'll probably be power seeding to help break up the barrier. That or at least light hand tilling bare spots to help improve germination.

And then it needs to rain........

ted putnam
08-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Even those that want to can't due to cost and this morning's paper makes it impossible to keep them alive.

http://enidnews.com/featuredstory/x1962237117/City-bans-sprinklers-reduces-water-usage-effective-immediately

Sorry about not being in touch. I was in a funk. I still am to a certain degree. Things are bad but I can't just let the business go completely down the toilet.

olcllc
08-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Sorry about not being in touch. I was in a funk. I still am to a certain degree. Things are bad but I can't just let the business go completely down the toilet.

No explanation needed Mr. Putnam, I completely understand. I struggled with moving after spending so much time to establish my business but in hind sight in may have been for the best. It's never too late to start over and i'm fortunate to not be hurting financially to ride out the storm.

I pray and wish for rain each day for the entire Midwest.

Mscotrid
08-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Ted most irrigation shops a repair is called dig out old head, put in new one and adjust. If the system keeps draining after cycling out, unscrew top of vavle replace diaphram, if zone doesn't turn on replace solenoid. That takes care of about 90 percent of most common repairs. $45-60 an hour minimum 1 hr plus parts.

kbrashears
08-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Hunter boxes are the devil. No test cycle. Have to create a new program or adjust one so you don't keep walking back to the box to move stations. Really a pain when marking for aerations. Also: irrigation controls in the house? Pet peeve.
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
08-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Great point...but I don't see this being an issue really.

I could be wrong but time, sunlight and microbial activity is what degrades the life expectancy of most products.

It does take rain to activate the product/move into the soil and if too much rain the product can be diluted and moved...but I don't see there being any residual left from the spring.

Any other opinions?

Would love to see some data on something like this.

rreyn1812
08-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Hopefully, things will change some soon!! :) We never know how things are going to turn out or when they will turn around! We just have to keep doing the best we can!

Three weeks ago, in the midst of the worst drought I've seen in this area, two of my lawns got some rain, and when I checked on them, not expecting much this soon (they hadn't been "mowed" in 3 weeks), the lawns were green with about 3 to 4 inches of growth. The drought is not over, but is changing some.

Yesterday, I cleaned up a yard that hadn't seen rain in 4 months and hadn't been touched in two months. It looked like late fall with all the leaves on the ground. Cleaned up the leaves and 2 ft tall crab grass over the septic field lines. The customer sent me an e-mail and said I must have brought her luck since it's raining today, for a longer period than any since the end of March. My daughter has two oak trees that dropped ALL their leaves, but after just some fairly light rain, they are both sending out new leaves.

I am taking at least the morning off due to rain, and that sure beats what I've been doing for months; taking the day off due to no grass 'cuz the lawns were "smoked" due to the drought. Things are changing, not always the way I want or as quick as I want, but they are changing! :)

ted putnam
08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Hopefully, things will change some soon!! :) We never know how things are going to turn out or when they will turn around! We just have to keep doing the best we can!

Three weeks ago, in the midst of the worst drought I've seen in this area, two of my lawns got some rain, and when I checked on them, not expecting much this soon (they hadn't been "mowed" in 3 weeks), the lawns were green with about 3 to 4 inches of growth. The drought is not over, but is changing some.

Yesterday, I cleaned up a yard that hadn't seen rain in 4 months and hadn't been touched in two months. It looked like late fall with all the leaves on the ground. Cleaned up the leaves and 2 ft tall crab grass over the septic field lines. The customer sent me an e-mail and said I must have brought her luck since it's raining today, for a longer period than any since the end of March. My daughter has two oak trees that dropped ALL their leaves, but after just some fairly light rain, they are both sending out new leaves.

I am taking at least the morning off due to rain, and that sure beats what I've been doing for months; taking the day off due to no grass 'cuz the lawns were "smoked" due to the drought. Things are changing, not always the way I want or as quick as I want, but they are changing! :)

Yes, we got about a half inch here between some last night and then this morning. I got out front with my sharpshooter shovel a minute ago and the soil is dry as a bone below 2-2.5 inches. I'm not complaining but we sure need a lot more. I sent you a PM.

AnotherOkie
08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
It will likely be a late start for fall apps on bermuda for me also. Air temp has been 108-113 the last 3 days. And according to the mesonet site. Soil temps are 100-110, 2" below vegetation and 110-126, 2" below bare soil. There is starting to be quite a bit of spurge to these yards, but it's too hot on me, tires, equipment, and the grass.

BonesMalone
08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Great point...but I don't see this being an issue really.

I could be wrong but time, sunlight and microbial activity is what degrades the life expectancy of most products.

It does take rain to activate the product/move into the soil and if too much rain the product can be diluted and moved...but I don't see there being any residual left from the spring.

Any other opinions?

Would love to see some data on something like this.

I hope you are right, I know last fall we had trouble getting grass to germinate on yards treated with Barricade. It seemed yards treated with Dimension were much better. Everything else being equal I assumed it was the Barricade. Barricade was applied in Mid March and Dimension in mid/April. If sunlight helps degrade chemical we don't have to worry about anything this year.

AndyTheMowerMan
08-03-2012, 02:12 AM
Speaking of smoked lawns, it's the same here in central Indiana. Exceptional Drought has taken over the southwestern part of the state, all the way to the central part. It's awful. Lawns are totally gone, and I heard today where it's to the point where some of the grass may be dying, instead of being dormant. Trees less than 5 years old are also dying.

By the way, I am a brand new member here, so please forgive me if I am rocky at this, I will get used to it, hopefully.

THIESSENS TLC
08-03-2012, 03:47 AM
i cut one yard yesterday and that was only because she has family coming in from scotland and wanted it cleaned up, other than that i havent cut in 5 weeks! :cry:

White Gardens
08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Speaking of smoked lawns, it's the same here in central Indiana. Exceptional Drought has taken over the southwestern part of the state, all the way to the central part. It's awful. Lawns are totally gone, and I heard today where it's to the point where some of the grass may be dying, instead of being dormant. Trees less than 5 years old are also dying.

By the way, I am a brand new member here, so please forgive me if I am rocky at this, I will get used to it, hopefully.

Rule of thumb is that dormant lawns need 1/4"- 1/2" of water every 4-5 weeks in order to maintain dormancy without death.

We've barely been getting that amount, and you can tell that in some extremely expose places, along with poor soil, that your starting to see bare dirt.

DLCS
08-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Rule of thumb is that dormant lawns need 1/4"- 1/2" of water every 4-5 weeks in order to maintain dormancy without death.

We've barely been getting that amount, and you can tell that in some extremely expose places, along with poor soil, that your starting to see bare dirt.

If we have got 1/4" of rain in the 4-5 weeks, its been in the form of a heavy downpour and never really soaked in to the soil. The ground is so hard that water runs off.

THIESSENS TLC
08-03-2012, 12:46 PM
If we have got 1/4" of rain in the 4-5 weeks, its been in the form of a heavy downpour and never really soaked in to the soil. The ground is so hard that water runs off.

we got lots of rain this week...just poured all day, and it didnt do a thing for the grass. we need a solid few days of rain! i can hardly stick a screwdriver in the ground its so hard.

jtq0919
08-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Up here in the northeast we've also had some very dry months but a lot of our lawns are irrigated which is nice. The ones that arent are experiencing drought stress but starting to come back with some of the rain we have been having lately. Im hoping for a nice cool fall with some rain.

leeson1776
08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Man, sounds rough out there guys! I didn't know it was so bad. Everyone irrigates here in CO. I actually wished they didn't, and just let the grass go dormant. Our water use here is very irresponsible. Anyway, hang in there guys. You've gotta look for ways to keep working somehow. Maybe start installing astro-turf!

rcreech
08-09-2012, 11:16 AM
GOOD NEWS!!!!

We are not getting rain.

Not enough to go crazy about but enough that lawns are greening up big time.

BAD NEW!!!

There are a ton of lawns with bad spots.

Perfect timing for the rain as now customers can't say "I think those areas are gonna come back".

Supposed to rain more today.

How is it looking for you guys now? Are most dry areas getting rain now?

Like I said we have not had a ton but probably close to 3" now over the last 2 1/2 weeks.

Hineline
08-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Several shots of rain in the last few weeks in NE Ohio but it is the humidity that is back a really helping things along. We have seen some disease now unfortunately. Lot's of weeds popping too because of the rain.

Duekster
08-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Ted most irrigation shops a repair is called dig out old head, put in new one and adjust. If the system keeps draining after cycling out, unscrew top of vavle replace diaphram, if zone doesn't turn on replace solenoid. That takes care of about 90 percent of most common repairs. $45-60 an hour minimum 1 hr plus parts.

Go up on the rate some. At least in states where training and licenses are required.