PDA

View Full Version : how many of you break cdl laws.

deerewashed
08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Hey guys,

looking at getting a 3.5-5 ton mini ex. but technically i would need a Class A cdl to tow it with my pickup. i see a lot of guys towing similar setups on here, whether it be skids or mini's, and i wondered.....do they have a cdl?

sorry kind of random, just would love to know your thoughts on CDLs and trailers hauling more than 10K.

THANKS!

93Chevy
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
What's the GVWR of your truck and the GVWR of your trailer?

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Your not likely going to get many that openly say they haul overweight.

It can be deceiving just looking at the rigs, example bobcat T650 wights in around 9500lbs so that might meet restrictions but a T650 with roller suspension is like 10400lbs so it wouldn't.

Its not that hard to get the proper license and can you afford to be caught without it? Likely will need it down the road when you upgrade machine or get more so you might as well just get the proper license.

Plus the fact if you get in an accident (maybe not even your fault) and insurance finds out you were towing on overweight load you can forget about getting anything from them.

93Chevy
08-01-2012, 06:58 PM
You don't necessarily need a CDL if you trailer is over 10k, unless the GCWR is over 26k.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I did. I towed my 6 ton mini quite a bit b4 I got my A. You can tow one without being over26 if you use a 3/4 ton truck. Your just way over on your trucks capabilities, both legaly and legitimatly which are 2 completely different things.

deerewashed
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
well my chevy 2500hd truck gvwr is 7500lbs(so i fit in comb. class) my thought is gooseneck, not sure on the gvwr that should be bought for no bigger than e50(largest possible purchase, most likely purchase).

93Chevy
08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
well my chevy 2500hd truck gvwr is 7500lbs(so i fit in comb. class) my thought is gooseneck, not sure on the gvwr that should be bought for no bigger than e50(largest possible purchase, most likely purchase).

Your 2500HD should be rated for more then 7500lbs. More like 9500.

Which means you can haul a 16.5k trailer legally with no CDL

deerewashed
08-01-2012, 07:31 PM
what do you mean legally?

i am confident in my duramax, i know guys who hual 18k from a gooseneck with the same truck as mine at 80mph no problem. Also my rig will see VERY VERY little highway miles, like maybe once a month, both less then 20 miles are needed to be driven, the rest is just through towns. (all my work is less then 30 min away)

4 seasons lawn&land
08-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Any dually truck, a 1 ton is fine with a 50. I think its a little over legally.

deerewashed
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Your 2500HD should be rated for more then 7500lbs. More like 9500.

Which means you can haul a 16.5k trailer legally with no CDL
reason it rated at 7500 is because its a dd too, and driving on the parkways is nice. so i would have to change it to tow a 5 ton? would it be possible to find a 18k trailer that weighs 4500lbs? lol

93Chevy
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
reason it rated at 7500 is because its a dd too, and driving on the parkways is nice. so i would have to change it to tow a 5 ton? would it be possible to find a 18k trailer that weighs 4500lbs? lol

I'm not really sure what you're saying

4 seasons lawn&land
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Cam trailers add the tongue weight into the GVW so mine is 16000 gvw and weighs 2900. Leaves about 1000 to spare with the mini. Dont buy anything based on towing it with a 2500. I just did it until I got a dump. Its ugly.

deerewashed
08-01-2012, 07:50 PM
so since it is rated at 7500 can i haul 18.5k then?

AWJ Services
08-01-2012, 07:53 PM
The GVWR rating is on the door sticker and teh axle capacities are there as well. If you have a 2500 you can do a goosekneck and a 5 ton Mini as long as you are towing on relativley flat areas. Most of the gooseknecks with 2 7000 pound axles will have GVWR of 15k or so. You will be legally under the CDL limit but you have to take into account saftey first, not necassarily CDL rules.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
no nooooo thats just the limit for staying under cdl. So its like saying a dodge neon is good to tow 23,500

ParkWelding
08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
what do you mean legally?

i am confident in my duramax, i know guys who hual 18k from a gooseneck with the same truck as mine at 80mph no problem. Also my rig will see VERY VERY little highway miles, like maybe once a month, both less then 20 miles are needed to be driven, the rest is just through towns. (all my work is less then 30 min away)

A 2500HD should have a GVWR of approximately 9000#. Look on the manufacturers sticker. (9000#+18000#=27000#)= Class A. Insert your numbers and come out with 26000# or less and you are in non-CDL territory.

I highly doubt that there are many in the landscape or construction business that have never been overweight or violated some form of DOT regulation at some point in their career.

muddywater
08-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Just stay off the highway. The last ticket cost me $150. F*** the DOT.

Anti-business useless govt worker bastards.

zabmasonry
08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Personally I would say that you should have a safe setup and if the combined is over 26,000 then go get a CDL with that setup. It's really not that big of a deal.

What is a big deal, and a-lot more work is being FHMCA compliant (DOT #'s and all the crap that goes with that). There's a lot of paperwork for that and its a bit time consuming.

I always think that if you're going to break the rules, don't do it with an obviously unsafe setup, like a 12,000# mini behind a 3/4 ton. If you look safe I don't think that you're a lot less likely to be pulled over.

Junior M
08-01-2012, 11:18 PM
In SC, any combination (truck and trailer) over 10k requires a cdl... So just by pulling my trailer which is rated at 14k, I am required to have a CDL..

Check out your DOT rules carefully..DOT is getting on it lately due to federal guys getting on them about not writing enough tickets.

knox gsl
08-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Get a gooseneck trailer rated at 9,990 lbs. Put 3,000 lbs on the toung, the trailer should weight in around 3,000lbs as well. This will let you pull a 10,000 lb machine legally. The trailer rating is for the axles and this will work as long as you are under the GCVW for the truck and under the axle rating or the truck.

ParkWelding
08-02-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm pretty sure you're allowed 25% of the trailers GVWR, of tongue weight on a gooseneck trailer. That might be a trailer manufacturers recommendation though. Maybe Duffster can chime in on the subject.

nedly05
08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
The rules for this are confusing. I see it two different ways. If you keep your GCVW 26K or below then you are in Non CDL territory. I also have interpreted the law as any trailer 10K or over requires a class A CDL. Its confusing. I have a 14K GVW PJ trailer, I usually pull it with the one ton, but on occasion I will use my HD. I don't tow anything heavy. (I have moved the 5 ton mini with my pickup but I don't like it) My hitch is rated for 9500 lbs. So by my interpretation of the law I can't pull this trailer with my pickup as the hitch is inadequate for the load, even if I only have on 5500 lbs. (trailer weighs 4000) The laws are so confusing and vary from state to state but we are supposed to know them!

whiffyspark
08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
It's not just state to state. It's officer to officer as well
Posted via Mobile Device

ParkWelding
08-02-2012, 09:05 AM
It's not just state to state. It's officer to officer as well
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, isn't that the truth!

whiffyspark
08-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I live in md. One day earlier this season they pulled every single landscaping truck over on the beltway. They handed out something like 2000 tickets in one day. So no matter what you do there still going to find something
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I live in md. One day earlier this season they pulled every single landscaping truck over on the beltway. They handed out something like 2000 tickets in one day. So no matter what you do there still going to find something
Posted via Mobile Device

It is just another way to raise revenue. But if you ever have anything stolen even a large item like a skid steer, dont expect any help from law enforcement bc they dont give a flip.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN
08-02-2012, 07:33 PM
The rules for this are confusing. I see it two different ways. If you keep your GCVW 26K or below then you are in Non CDL territory. I also have interpreted the law as any trailer 10K or over requires a class A CDL. Its confusing. I have a 14K GVW PJ trailer, I usually pull it with the one ton, but on occasion I will use my HD. I don't tow anything heavy. (I have moved the 5 ton mini with my pickup but I don't like it) My hitch is rated for 9500 lbs. So by my interpretation of the law I can't pull this trailer with my pickup as the hitch is inadequate for the load, even if I only have on 5500 lbs. (trailer weighs 4000) The laws are so confusing and vary from state to state but we are supposed to know them!

not confusing at all.

Class A= GCWR of 26001 or more with a trail with a GVWR of 10,001 or more
Class B= GVWR of 26,001 or more trailer up to GVWR of 10,000

this goes by the sticker on the door of your truck and the rating of the VIN sticker on the trailer.

93Chevy
08-02-2012, 08:41 PM
not confusing at all.

Class A= GCWR of 26001 or more with a trail with a GVWR of 10,001 or more
Class B= GVWR of 26,001 or more trailer up to GVWR of 10,000

this goes by the sticker on the door of your truck and the rating of the VIN sticker on the trailer.

However, you can have a 26k truck with a 10k trailer and not need a CDL

jdo150
08-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Just get the license and be done with it. I did and haven't looked back and they are only going to be harder to get. I would prob tow a mini that size behind my f550 minimum just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device

Cornell
08-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Just get your license, then it won't be looming in the back of your head.

The most I've ever been bothered by DOT for is to check and see if I have a current medical card.

Also passing a CDL isn't hard at all. All I did was pick up a book and casually read it for 2 weeks. Pre-trip is the place where testers always try to fail you around here, they are a lot more lenient for the driving portion.

We haul boulders a lot and there really isn't a way to weigh in when you're out in a field picking and loading rocks. Just try your best and you know after awhile how your truck feels driving at legal weight vs. being overweight.

Someone that says they have never been overweight is lying, pure and simple. IMO

Duffster
08-03-2012, 12:45 AM
In SC, any combination (truck and trailer) over 10k requires a cdl... So just by pulling my trailer which is rated at 14k, I am required to have a CDL.

No it doesn't. Don't be dumb.

Get a gooseneck trailer rated at 9,990 lbs. Put 3,000 lbs on the toung, the trailer should weight in around 3,000lbs as well. This will let you pull a 10,000 lb machine legally. The trailer rating is for the axles and this will work as long as you are under the GCVW for the truck and under the axle rating or the truck.

That's about equally as dumb. You can't leagally haul a 10 machine on a 9990 rated trailer. You are 10 overweight without even taking the tare into account.

I'm pretty sure you're allowed 25% of the trailers GVWR, of tongue weight on a gooseneck trailer. That might be a trailer manufacturers recommendation though. Maybe Duffster can chime in on the subject.

Your allowed whatever you want to put on without going over the tow vehicle rear axle rating.

I also have interpreted the law as any trailer 10K or over requires a class A CDL. Its confusing!

That interpretation is incorrect. It's confusing.

Remember that reading is fundamental everyone.

SP Landscaping
08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=Junior M;4487877]In SC, any combination (truck and trailer) over 10k requires a cdl... So just by pulling my trailer which is rated at 14k, I am required to have a CDL..

Think your talking about a dot # there guy.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/cdl/cdl10sec01.pdf

Read the 2nd point real real close in 1.1

cgaengineer
08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
No cdl, but got nailed by DOT today.

As he flagged me over I was on cell phone while driving.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-03-2012, 10:57 PM
They are making a killing off of us. Small business is the enemy to the govt.
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
08-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

No! Your wrong! Obama says we could not does this without him!

cgaengineer
08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

No, we are the enemies...driving the big ole people killing trucks on roads we pay for.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Did you know that talking on a cell phone while driving a DOT registered vehicle is a $3000 personal fine and a $9000 company fine?
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Did you know that talking on a cell phone while driving a DOT registered vehicle is a $3000 personal fine and a $9000 company fine?
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought it was limited to cdl drivers, but i have heard of that business killer law.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-03-2012, 11:24 PM
No! Your wrong! Obama says we could not does this without him!

Yeah i'd like to see him work just one day in our climate. That pu$$y of a man wouldnt make it past 9 o'clock.

I am still in shock over that comment He(capitalized for deity) made. I cant think of a worse insult to a business owner.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-04-2012, 12:39 AM
I thought it was limited to cdl drivers, but i have heard of that business killer law.
Posted via Mobile Device

Negetive...He waved me into parking lot while I was on phone with our book keeper and started naming violations. The phone was the first. Our truck is simply an Isuzu NPR. Have to have medical card and yearly inspections.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Yeah i'd like to see him work just one day in our climate. That pu$$y of a man wouldnt make it past 9 o'clock.

I am still in shock over that comment He(capitalized for deity) made. I cant think of a worse insult to a business owner.
Posted via Mobile Device

With that being said, he didn't become our shittiest president ever without the help from the American voters.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-04-2012, 12:46 AM
I could have had a big ole cheeseburger in my hand...
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
08-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. Really irritated me when he said that.

AWJ Services
08-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Any Commercial driver cannot have a cellphone in his hand while driving. Want constitutes you as a commercial driver needing a health card and numbers is where it gets fuzzy. If your truck is over 10K GVWR it is a commercial vehicle. Under a 10k GVWR then who knows.

cgaengineer
08-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Any Commercial driver cannot have a cellphone in his hand while driving. Want constitutes you as a commercial driver needing a health card and numbers is where it gets fuzzy. If your truck is over 10K GVWR it is a commercial vehicle. Under a 10k GVWR then who knows.

According to this guy anything under 10k was good to go in my state.
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
08-04-2012, 10:53 AM
According to this guy anything under 10k was good to go in my state.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well had a friend get pulled over in his F150 pulling a little trailer with a Murray rider on it. The DOT officer asked him where he was going. He said to cut a few yards. The officer asked if he was getting paid? He yes for some extra money. Said he he had to have the truck numbered and health card.

Like was said before it is really up to the discrettion of the officer.

cgaengineer
08-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Well had a friend get pulled over in his F150 pulling a little trailer with a Murray rider on it. The DOT officer asked him where he was going. He said to cut a few yards. The officer asked if he was getting paid? He yes for some extra money. Said he he had to have the truck numbered and health card.

Like was said before it is really up to the discrettion of the officer.

He did say the laws were confusing but assured me that even in commercial use pulling a trailer, skid sprayer with chemicals I was ok. I asked because that specific vehicle was gou g to have to deliver proper registration for the truck I was in when I got flagged down yesterday.

I do know that cops don't know all the laws though...especially gun laws. Speaking of which, I hear it's illegal to have a gun in commercial vehicle over 10k.
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
08-04-2012, 11:31 AM
He did say the laws were confusing but assured me that even in commercial use pulling a trailer, skid sprayer with chemicals I was ok. I asked because that specific vehicle was gou g to have to deliver proper registration for the truck I was in when I got flagged down yesterday.

I do know that cops don't know all the laws though...especially gun laws. Speaking of which, I hear it's illegal to have a gun in commercial vehicle over 10k.
Posted via Mobile Device

For Police officers to pull you over for DOT inspections they do have to have an additional certifacate that insures they have had the proper training. I heard Dekalb county recently lost there cert. They where at one time the worst for pulling everyone over.

cgaengineer
08-04-2012, 11:35 AM
For Police officers to pull you over for DOT inspections they do have to have an additional certifacate that insures they have had the proper training. I heard Dekalb county recently lost there cert. They where at one time the worst for pulling everyone over.

Duluth used to be bad too...
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
08-04-2012, 05:31 PM
When I talked to the Texas DOT and DPS, they told me that my combo was fine as under CDL (I'm at 26k GCWR exactly with one setup). I asked if there was anything else and they said no. I guess I will have to get a med card and DOT numbers here too since that's a fed regulation?

cgaengineer
08-04-2012, 09:24 PM
When I talked to the Texas DOT and DPS, they told me that my combo was fine as under CDL (I'm at 26k GCWR exactly with one setup). I asked if there was anything else and they said no. I guess I will have to get a med card and DOT numbers here too since that's a fed regulation?

And yearly inspection. Make sure you have current registration and insurance card as well. Yes they can look it up on the computer, but the law requires it to be in vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN
08-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Federal covers interstate, if you are intrastate only then follow the rules of the state you are in.
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
08-04-2012, 09:38 PM
I get my trailers inspected every year but I don't get a dot inspection like the big trucks.

Luckily, I carry really high insurance and keep everything tight and up to date. Though they could pick on me, sure, but there are a lot of trucks on the roads in Texas and a lot unsafe things I see every day.
With the oil boom, there are a lot of other fish to catch and overweight, unsafe vehicles that are probably higher on the radar than some guy like me hauling a clean bobcat with a clean truck, clean trailer, and sufficient tie-downs and good tires.

The last time I did get pulled over it was the local sheriff's dept. they were giving me a courtesy warning about not being able to see my license plate. The trailer was a DOT certified trailer, inspected, etc., The deputy called DPS on the spot and he was told that I was legal though not seeing the license plate could be probable cause to pull over and look for other violations.

cgaengineer
08-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Our truck looks very professional and clean...still pulled me over. It coul have been a really bad day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Junior M
08-04-2012, 11:59 PM
No it doesn't. Don't be dumb.

That's about equally as dumb. You can't leagally haul a 10 machine on a 9990 rated trailer. You are 10 overweight without even taking the tare into account.

Your allowed whatever you want to put on without going over the tow vehicle rear axle rating.

That interpretation is incorrect. It's confusing.

Remember that reading is fundamental everyone.

wanna copy of the paperwork that says so?

[QUOTE=Junior M;4487877]In SC, any combination (truck and trailer) over 10k requires a cdl... So just by pulling my trailer which is rated at 14k, I am required to have a CDL..

Think your talking about a dot # there guy.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/cdl/cdl10sec01.pdf

Read the 2nd point real real close in 1.1

different state...you're reading ny law..I am in south Carolina..

93Chevy
08-05-2012, 12:11 AM

It's a Federal Law, doesn't matter what state you're in

AWJ Services
08-05-2012, 10:33 AM
There are so many ways they can get you. For instance if you have older chains and they are not marked what Grade they are they defer back to the lowest strength grade? Same with your binders.

They will fine you for chaining your skid steer down by the bucket since it is removable yet you can chain down your excavator to the track shoes?

How many of you have actually loaded your trucks and scaled the axles?

Are all loads secured with the same standards?

Me I just stay as far away from the DOT officers as possible.LOL

muddywater
08-05-2012, 11:18 AM
There are so many ways they can get you. For instance if you have older chains and they are not marked what Grade they are they defer back to the lowest strength grade? Same with your binders.

They will fine you for chaining your skid steer down by the bucket since it is removable yet you can chain down your excavator to the track shoes?

How many of you have actually loaded your trucks and scaled the axles?

Are all loads secured with the same standards?

Me I just stay as far away from the DOT officers as possible.LOL

It just infuriates me. Some companies around here switched from isuzu nprs to half ton trucks pulling single axle trailers JUST to avoid dot inspections.

My sub for hauling dirt, NEVER goes on the highway loaded.

Another landscaping company's will not drive their isuzu's on the highway because of dot.

And then some guy in a 1/2 ton pickup will haul scaffolding 8' above the cab without any straps and dot can't touch him.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 11:22 AM
AND I will see government dot construction crews hauling a back hoe without a 4 point chain tie down.

And I will see the local government water authority haul their kubota mini-x with one chain.

It is not about safety, it is about robbing small business of their money.

cgaengineer
08-05-2012, 11:25 AM
AND I will see government dot construction crews hauling a back hoe without a 4 point chain tie down.

And I will see the local government water authority haul their kubota mini-x with one chain.

It is not about safety, it is about robbing small business of their money.

This is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-05-2012, 11:27 AM
It just infuriates me. Some companies around here switched from isuzu nprs to half ton trucks pulling single axle trailers JUST to avoid dot inspections.

My sub for hauling dirt, NEVER goes on the highway loaded.

Another landscaping company's will not drive their isuzu's on the highway because of dot.

And then some guy in a 1/2 ton pickup will haul scaffolding 8' above the cab without any straps and dot can't touch him.

That sucks. We love our NPR and I cannot see ever using a truck and trailer for mowing but I can understand why they did it. I really never thought an NPR would even get a rise out of a DOT guy...I thought they were after big rigs.
Posted via Mobile Device

dozerman21
08-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you actually get a ticket or warning for talking on your phone? A lot of guys I have talked to since this law came out don't know about it. I had heard something like $2,500 to the driver, $10K to the company if you are using any handheld phone while driving.

SP Landscaping
08-05-2012, 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=SP Landscaping;4488984]

Yes that was nys...but here's south Carolina http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/cdl%20manual.pdf
Page 4 Same exact thing guy

allinearth
08-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Yep if you are successful its not because you are smart or work hard.....its because of government. WTF? I'd have to punch someone if they said it to my face.:nono:

Duffster
08-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Sure. If you got it.

cgaengineer
08-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Did you actually get a ticket or warning for talking on your phone? A lot of guys I have talked to since this law came out don't know about it. I had heard something like $2,500 to the driver, $10K to the company if you are using any handheld phone while driving.

I got a warning. Like you said, $3000 for driver and $9000 for the company. He said Bluetooth was fine.

All the things he marked up were warnings. I have 15 days to comply or I'm sure it will result in a fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I got a warning. Like you said, $3000 for driver and $9000 for the company. He said Bluetooth was fine.

All the things he marked up were warnings. I have 15 days to comply or I'm sure it will result in a fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just throw the warning away. They never enforce anything on the warning after the fact. And I am located in the same state as you.

And I have had like 10 warnings and over 10 tickets. So I am a multiple offender!

I've had the following tickets:

no seatbelt
not 4 point chained
not 4 point chained with 4 separate chains(dot officer made my guy when we were out of state, leave our trailer and 25k ctl unattended at rest stop while we got 2 more chains at walmart)
no cdl for pulling a 20k lb trailer( had to have a buddy with a cdl drive trailer back to shop)
no medical card
no medical card again
no medical card again
no fire extinguisher
no log book
no entry in logbook
no triangles
tag on truck not rated for 19000lb
cracked windshield
cracked windshield again
missing lug nut (had to have truck towed home 100 miles, of course the lug nut was on rear wheel so it didn't really matter if it was towed or not!)
tire tread was less than reccomended
and 3 trucks were put out of service for some of these infractions
window tint

And the most ridiculous warning:

missing tag light on truck tag

cgaengineer
08-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Had a tag light warning as well...never even drive the damn truck at night.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
08-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Not trying to be a Richard, but those are some pretty easy violations to avoid...the 4 separate chains would get under my skin...but cracked windshield and no medical card violations....easily avoidable.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-05-2012, 06:33 PM
I cant imagine bothering with non local landscaping involving freeway. Even excavation. I would have to price it so high to make it worth it. My truck has been on the big roads for my cdl test, probably the first and last time it will be.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Not trying to be a Richard, but those are some pretty easy violations to avoid...the 4 separate chains would get under my skin...but cracked windshield and no medical card violations....easily avoidable.

Well when you have multiple employees and multiple trucks on the road, it is a constant battle.

As soon as we get a new windshield, it seems like it gets hit by a pebble from a truck and then the crack gets worse. I have had a new windshield get cracked the next day.

And making sure all employees have health cards when you are working mon-fri and it is hard to let them go for 3-4 hours... test doesn't take that long, but getting them there and then waiting an hour or two for the test, then getting them back on the crew pretty much voids the whole day for them.

And remembering to get them renewed after 2 years, and when you hire new guys you have to remember to make sure they have health cards... And usually a new hire doesn't drive the truck immediately... might be a year or two... got to remember it then.

SP Landscaping
08-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Well when you have multiple employees and multiple trucks on the road, it is a constant battle.

As soon as we get a new windshield, it seems like it gets hit by a pebble from a truck and then the crack gets worse. I have had a new windshield get cracked the next day.

And making sure all employees have health cards when you are working mon-fri and it is hard to let them go for 3-4 hours... test doesn't take that long, but getting them there and then waiting an hour or two for the test, then getting them back on the crew pretty much voids the whole day for them.

And remembering to get them renewed after 2 years, and when you hire new guys you have to remember to make sure they have health cards... And usually a new hire doesn't drive the truck immediately... might be a year or two... got to remember it then.

How bout making it a company policy if they have a cdl than you need a med card, and if you have multiple employes it shouldn't be that hard to have them go get the physical. I'd understand it if you had 1 employe and yourself than it would f your day

YellowDogSVC
08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
so for intrastate, non-cdl, is DOT asking for medical cards?

muddywater
08-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I cant imagine bothering with non local landscaping involving freeway. Even excavation. I would have to price it so high to make it worth it. My truck has been on the big roads for my cdl test, probably the first and last time it will be.

We have a freeway that links us to all the neighboring cities. Freeway time is only 10-15 minutes, but that is enough to incur the wrath of dot.

And I buy and sell alot of equipment, so we go all over the southeast. I bought and sold 100 skid steers/mini-x's last year. And I keep our c5500 jam up as far as safety goes and we still get pulled over alot for bullsh!t. It is just incredible.

I bought a t180 off of ebay a month ago in Gary IN and sent an employee to pick it up. On the way up there, he got pulled over by a dot guy that scanned the number on the truck with some machine and said I did not have some type of interstate dot number. I have a us dot number but I guess it is not registered to go into different states??? $150 ticket.

Then when my guy gets up to Gary IN, the two guys that sold the t180 to me on ebay robbed him at gun point of the cash, took my gps from the truck, took the keys, took my guy's wallet, took the keys to the truck. He got a neighbor to call the police, it took them 2 hours to show up. An officer is never around when you need them.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 07:09 PM

In my state, it is required for a commercial vehicle.

allinearth
08-05-2012, 07:27 PM
We have a freeway that links us to all the neighboring cities. Freeway time is only 10-15 minutes, but that is enough to incur the wrath of dot.

And I buy and sell alot of equipment, so we go all over the southeast. I bought and sold 100 skid steers/mini-x's last year. And I keep our c5500 jam up as far as safety goes and we still get pulled over alot for bullsh!t. It is just incredible.

I bought a t180 off of ebay a month ago in Gary IN and sent an employee to pick it up. On the way up there, he got pulled over by a dot guy that scanned the number on the truck with some machine and said I did not have some type of interstate dot number. I have a us dot number but I guess it is not registered to go into different states??? $150 ticket.

Then when my guy gets up to Gary IN, the two guys that sold the t180 to me on ebay robbed him at gun point of the cash, took my gps from the truck, took the keys, took my guy's wallet, took the keys to the truck. He got a neighbor to call the police, it took them 2 hours to show up. An officer is never around when you need them.
Geesh! Bet that sucked

YellowDogSVC
08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
In my state, it is required for a commercial vehicle.

I can't find it anywhere in the TX DOT. I find "motor carrier" but that says it for household goods, ie movers of any weight. Every time I talk to the department of public safety after hearing a rumor, I'm referred back to the flow chart I've posted before, told that I'm under CDL, but don't overload the truck, yada, yada, yada..

Gives me a headache..

muddywater
08-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I can't find it anywhere in the TX DOT. I find "motor carrier" but that says it for household goods, ie movers of any weight. Every time I talk to the department of public safety after hearing a rumor, I'm referred back to the flow chart I've posted before, told that I'm under CDL, but don't overload the truck, yada, yada, yada..

Gives me a headache..

I guess all states are different.

ioilyouin
08-05-2012, 07:40 PM
My 20K gooseneck behind my 2500 Dodge with my E50 (12,300) grosses a little over 25.5K. My loader(15300) comes in at 27.7K , which is puckering. I'm not over on any of my axles, but I am over on the GCVWR of the truck. If you could get enough truck under the trailer you would be ok, but I don't see that happening. If you could get a stripped down 450 with a gas engine, maybe. By Illinois' standards you wouldn't need it as long as you stay under 26K. As I read it you could pull a trailer under 10K and run a truck under 26K and not need a CDL.
I am in the process of changing that setup anyway, so it won't last much longer. The gasser has the power, but not the a$$ to handle it. It shakes the heck out of you going down the road. I've had a class A for 15 years so I don't worry from that end.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-05-2012, 07:56 PM
wow. do you have a sales and service shop or just sell from your yard? 100 is alot of buying and selling

AWJ Services
08-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Here in Georgia if you do not want to drive then you will have a hard time keeping busy. My average distance to jobs is 30+ miles one way.

According to Federal Law any commercial vehicle with a GVWR of 10k or more has to have a DOT number, fire extinguisher, health card etc. If you are using the vehicle for work than it is commercial. If your state does not enforce it than thats great but it is a Federal law. And there are seperate DOT numbers. Stats and Intrastate.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-05-2012, 08:23 PM
mine can be that far or more but luckily we have alot of county and state routes around here. In most cases its quicker to take the small roads until you get an hour or more away.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
wow. do you have a sales and service shop or just sell from your yard? 100 is alot of buying and selling

pretty much just wholesaling them. I sold over half of them to dealers, and the other half on ebay. This year isn't as good as last, only flipped about 27. If obama get elected again, I bet my numbers will increase because everybody will be dumping their equipment again.

cgaengineer
08-05-2012, 09:13 PM
How bout making it a company policy if they have a cdl than you need a med card, and if you have multiple employes it shouldn't be that hard to have them go get the physical. I'd understand it if you had 1 employe and yourself than it would f your day

NPR = no cdl, but you still need a med card.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-05-2012, 09:14 PM

10-4...in Georgia anyway...
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
08-05-2012, 09:48 PM
pretty much just wholesaling them. I sold over half of them to dealers, and the other half on ebay. This year isn't as good as last, only flipped about 27. If obama get elected again, I bet my numbers will increase because everybody will be dumping their equipment again.

ya but whose going to buy it at that point?

YellowDogSVC
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Here in Georgia if you do not want to drive then you will have a hard time keeping busy. My average distance to jobs is 30+ miles one way.

According to Federal Law any commercial vehicle with a GVWR of 10k or more has to have a DOT number, fire extinguisher, health card etc. If you are using the vehicle for work than it is commercial. If your state does not enforce it than thats great but it is a Federal law. And there are seperate DOT numbers. Stats and Intrastate.

If they enforce that in Texas, there is going to be a lot of farriers, horse traders, etc., that will have to get their numbers. Just about every 1 ton is rated over 10k and where I live, on the edge of a big city like San Antonio, there are a lot of guys who haul cattle (for a fee) and other things.

So you can drive a one ton all day working as a salesman if it's your private vehicle but if you own a business and drive the same truck, you have to go through all the bs?

4 seasons lawn&land
08-05-2012, 10:54 PM
If they enforce that in Texas, there is going to be a lot of farriers, horse traders, etc., that will have to get their numbers. Just about every 1 ton is rated over 10k and where I live, on the edge of a big city like San Antonio, there are a lot of guys who haul cattle (for a fee) and other things.

So you can drive a one ton all day working as a salesman if it's your private vehicle but if you own a business and drive the same truck, you have to go through all the bs?

ya its always been that way here but its rarely enforced. However I know guys that have been ticketed in business lettered trucks that were UNDER 10k. One in an S10

AWJ Services
08-05-2012, 10:55 PM

Farming is exempt. That includes livestock and the service of them.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
ya but whose going to buy it at that point?

overseas market and people that pay cash... alot of mine last year went to south america and australia and business owners that had alot of cash on hand.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Farming is exempt. That includes livestock and the service of them.

damn small business needs lobbyist like the farmers.

YellowDogSVC
08-05-2012, 11:13 PM
This is what I found from Texas.. same as I was told on the phone. To get a Dot number I have to be a commercial vehicle. I need the dot number before I could get a tx dot number but it says I can't get one because I'm under 26,001 lbs. and don't go out of state. It's 500 miles to the state line! :dizzy:

http://www.dmv.tx.gov/motor_carrier/registration/faq.htm

Motor Carrier Registration FAQs
What is a motor carrier?

A "motor carrier" is defined as an individual, association, corporation, or other legal entity that controls, operates, or directs the operation of one or more commercial motor vehicles that transport persons or cargo over a road or highway in this state.

A "commercial motor vehicle" includes:

any motor vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross weight, registered weight, or gross weight rating in excess of 26,000 pounds, which is designed or used for the transportation of cargo in furtherance of any commercial enterprise
any vehicle, including buses, designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver
any vehicle used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding under the regulations issued under the federal Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (Title 49, United States Code, App. §1801-1813); and
a commercial motor vehicle, as defined by 49 C.F.R. §390.5, that is owned or controlled by a person or entity that is domiciled in or a citizen of a country other than the United States.

AWJ Services
08-06-2012, 07:58 AM
You have a state number and then a Federal number. The state number only allows you to drive in that state. texas has decided to change it's regulations to differ from federal regulations which happens alot. Thats why you see some guys oin here who post and think that the Federal regulations are the only regulations and the state cannot have different ones which obviously Texas is different.

TAF
08-06-2012, 03:55 PM
OK, so as I have read through this thread I just get a bit more confused. I am sure of the fact that as laws vary state by state, and federal requirements remain consistent state to state, I am not alone. Having had a older 1 ton rated at 10K GVW and overloading it too many times, I bought a old F600 (personnel use only no biz) My 5 yd F600 is licensed @ 24K, (hydraulic brakes). I pull a Home built triple axle trailer that has no rating on the registration other then a weight of 3k for the trailer. I haul a 9500lb mini. I never haul the mini with a load in the truck. truck weighs around 9600 unloaded. Do I need a Class A CDL when towing my machine for WA ? As my trailer does not have a max load rating, can I get a ticket for pulling it empty ? I have yet to be pulled over, but am waiting.

CLARK LAWN
08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
What are the axles rated at on the trailer? I would assume that with a triaxle it would be way over 10K. Pulling that with an F600 yes you need a class A.

If it is really personal use only then no you don't need a CDL but im betting you are just saying personal use and really using it for biz.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
08-06-2012, 06:03 PM
OK, so as I have read through this thread I just get a bit more confused. I am sure of the fact that as laws vary state by state, and federal requirements remain consistent state to state, I am not alone. Having had a older 1 ton rated at 10K GVW and overloading it too many times, I bought a old F600 (personnel use only no biz) My 5 yd F600 is licensed @ 24K, (hydraulic brakes). I pull a Home built triple axle trailer that has no rating on the registration other then a weight of 3k for the trailer. I haul a 9500lb mini. I never haul the mini with a load in the truck. truck weighs around 9600 unloaded. Do I need a Class A CDL when towing my machine for WA ? As my trailer does not have a max load rating, can I get a ticket for pulling it empty ? I have yet to be pulled over, but am waiting.

It doesn't matter what anything weighs, it only matter what it's weighted for.

Your truck is rated for 24k, and your trailer is weighted for god knows what. If it's a triple axle and you haul a 9500lb mini, then the trailer is probably weighted for over 10k.

Which means you need a CDL.

93Chevy
08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
What are the axles rated at on the trailer? I would assume that with a triaxle it would be way over 10K. Pulling that with an F600 yes you need a class A.

If it is really personal use only then no you don't need a CDL but im betting you are just saying personal use and really using it for biz.
Posted via Mobile Device

CDL has nothing to do with business or personal use.

USDOT numbers are not needed for personal use, but a CDL has no personal/business barriers.

TAF
08-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN,

As noted in my post it is for personnel use.

If I were you I wouldn't be making any bets on anything. "IF" I was in biz I wouldn't be using a 44 year old truck and a home built trailer.

Mark Oomkes
08-06-2012, 07:32 PM
It doesn't matter what anything weighs, it only matter what it's weighted for.

Actually, it doesn't matter what it is plated or "weighted" for.

The thing that will make one need a CDL is what the truck and\or trailer is RATED for, by the mfg. I can go plate my F800 at 110K and it won't need a CDL. Actually, I have it plated at 32K right now and I don't need a CDL. Because it has a GVW of 25,990. As soon as I hook a trailer up, then I need a CDL.

Your truck is rated for 24k, and your trailer is weighted for god knows what. If it's a triple axle and you haul a 9500lb mini, then the trailer is probably weighted for over 10k.

Which means you need a CDL.

CDL has nothing to do with business or personal use.

USDOT numbers are not needed for personal use, but a CDL has no personal/business barriers.

Horse hockey and bovine excrement.

Anyone can rent a semi to move their household and not require a CDL. What about all those retired folks hauling diesel pushers all over the country that fall well within CDL requirements.

TAF, be careful of what you read and believe from the internet. I haven't read through the whole thread, but so far in 2 posts I've found 2 huge mistakes.

cgaengineer
08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
According to what I have read there is a non commercial cdl.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-06-2012, 07:55 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_driver's_license#section_2
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-06-2012, 08:21 PM
This broke down the basic laws for my state pretty well.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7182708_georgia-dot-light-truck-regulations.html
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
08-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_driver's_license#section_2
Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing in this says (other than Kali) states there is a non commercial CDL for vehicles not qualifying as a commercial vehicle.

Kali, as in all other things is different.

cgaengineer
08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Nothing in this says (other than Kali) states there is a non commercial CDL for vehicles not qualifying as a commercial vehicle.

Kali, as in all other things is different.

I can agree with that, just stating a finding. As we all know, the laws are very confusing.

It appears that any vehicle in my state with a payload greater than 4k used commercially is considered a commercial vehicle and requires a DOT number. So if you use a Toyota Tacoma at your shop to run errands, tow a small trailer and it's logo'd it would not require DOT numbers
Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN
08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
That's not what it says at all. Go reread it and try again.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-06-2012, 09:23 PM
That's not what it says at all. Go reread it and try again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oops, missed it...10k
Posted via Mobile Device

ParkWelding
08-06-2012, 09:28 PM
CLARK LAWN,

As noted in my post it is for personnel use.

If I were you I wouldn't be making any bets on anything. "IF" I was in biz I wouldn't be using a 44 year old truck and a home built trailer.

Take out the passenger seat and install a functioning RV toilet. Should be all set then.

Mark Oomkes
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM

There are times that a med card is needed but no CDL. CDL's always require med cards. There is no if's' and's' or butt's. (spelled wrong on porpoise)

We ever going to see a copy of it?

ct-vt lawnguy
08-06-2012, 10:16 PM
deerwashed
as a guy that works from greenwich to ridgefield i find wilton pd to be one of the worst around for pulling over trucks. They check everything on them and will take you off the road if they even think you are over weight. just a friendly warning stay away from the lot on the corner of rt 7 and 106 the like to set up a state dot check there about once a month and the town is there almowt everyday

Duffster
08-07-2012, 12:39 AM

A Non commercial Comercial Drivers License Eh?

We ever going to see a copy of it?

I ain't holding my breath.

ksss
08-07-2012, 02:07 AM
DOT sucks. Trying to stay legal is about as complex as the Federal Tax Code. Here is what I think I know after almost 20 years of dealing with them. I try to keep everything as legal as possible beyond that I try to keep everything safe, which should be the focus of DOT. I and those who drive that are employeed are in a drug testing consortium. However if you get pulled over and they feel you are due to pay a toll, your paying a toll. I know that sounds as if I being ignorant but I believe it to be true and this is why.

When I go through a Port of Entry and pay for a trip permit or in Wyoming an off road vehicle sticker (Wyomings method of taxing heavy equipment that operates in the State). I have very little problems. Montana is the same way. When I go in and pay money for something they usually dont get me for anything more. However if you have not paid something, you will likely leave with less money than you started with. It seems as though the goal is to extract a "fee" from those who enter their State. I was told by one port of entry that "they have fun with excavators". I was no exception, that shittty day in Montana.

Its a bad a deal. Like I said I do what I can to keep in their good graces, but if its your day to pay, you will be paying. How much is what it comes down to.

cgaengineer
08-07-2012, 04:42 AM

Yep, a non commercial CDL...only the govt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
08-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Me neither.

Duffster
08-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Yep, a non commercial CDL...only the govt.

It's not a NCCDL. It's NCDL

Duffster
08-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Well skippy get crackin'.

93Chevy
08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Horse hockey and bovine excrement.

Anyone can rent a semi to move their household and not require a CDL. What about all those retired folks hauling diesel pushers all over the country that fall well within CDL requirements.

TAF, be careful of what you read and believe from the internet. I haven't read through the whole thread, but so far in 2 posts I've found 2 huge mistakes.

First off, my first post was worded incorrectly but we all know what I meant. I was referring to GVWR/GCWR, but I made a semantic error.

Secondly, except for my personal CDL mistake, go back and re-read every CDL post I've had and look for a mistake.

Everybody knows RV's are CDL exempt. I just had no idea that anybody could go buy a tractor trailer for personal use without a CDL. My mistake.

deerewashed
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
deerwashed
as a guy that works from greenwich to ridgefield i find wilton pd to be one of the worst around for pulling over trucks. They check everything on them and will take you off the road if they even think you are over weight. just a friendly warning stay away from the lot on the corner of rt 7 and 106 the like to set up a state dot check there about once a month and the town is there almowt everyday

yup they sit right there in the parking lot, i live on belden hill, and all my work requires me to go up 106 toward new canaan, or down belden hill to 95. so wouldnt run into them, but thanks for the heads up on the DOT check point. do you tow at all? have a cdl?

deerewashed
08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
this **** lit up quick, all this discussion about certain states does not help me....i need ct. can i call motor vehicle about questions like this or do i need to call some special place.

cgaengineer
08-08-2012, 02:24 AM
this **** lit up quick, all this discussion about certain states does not help me....i need ct. can i call motor vehicle about questions like this or do i need to call some special place.

Just drive down th highway with a piece of equipment unchained, a nice fella' will come out and explain the law to you! ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
08-08-2012, 07:10 AM
First off, my first post was worded incorrectly but we all know what I meant. I was referring to GVWR/GCWR, but I made a semantic error.

OK, but when talking about DOT garbage, exact verbage is an absolute necessity. Plated vs GVWR vs GVW are all different in the eyes of the law. And if you are trying to help, you need to make sure to use the correct term.

Secondly, except for my personal CDL mistake, go back and re-read every CDL post I've had and look for a mistake.

Everybody knows RV's are CDL exempt. I just had no idea that anybody could go buy a tractor trailer for personal use without a CDL. My mistake.

I never said you could buy one, although you could.

I think we should discuss air break endorsements next. :cool2:

Duffster
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Ya Ya Ya

Hehehe

93Chevy
08-08-2012, 07:02 PM

You're right about the verbage...Must have been a long day or something :hammerhead:

jimmyjack
08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Um , just asking but how many of you guys HAVE your CDL when your jumping in on this thread , cause there's alot of wrong info in this thread and if you had your cdl and are still this confused about what you need and don't need it's kinda funny....

Toy2
08-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I get my trailers inspected every year but I don't get a dot inspection like the big trucks.

Luckily, I carry really high insurance and keep everything tight and up to date. Though they could pick on me, sure, but there are a lot of trucks on the roads in Texas and a lot unsafe things I see every day.
With the oil boom, there are a lot of other fish to catch and overweight, unsafe vehicles that are probably higher on the radar than some guy like me hauling a clean bobcat with a clean truck, clean trailer, and sufficient tie-downs and good tires.

The last time I did get pulled over it was the local sheriff's dept. they were giving me a courtesy warning about not being able to see my license plate. The trailer was a DOT certified trailer, inspected, etc., The deputy called DPS on the spot and he was told that I was legal though not seeing the license plate could be probable cause to pull over and look for other violations.Agree, I've had my CDL-A since 1988, I see some of the worst trucks on I-35 daily, even subs working our projects are driving junk dumps and speak no english????? I love calling the CVE unit on these guys.....they don't mess around......

Cornell
08-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Um , just asking but how many of you guys HAVE your CDL when your jumping in on this thread , cause there's alot of wrong info in this thread and if you had your cdl and are still this confused about what you need and don't need it's kinda funny....

I agree, although in MN the laws change quite a bit every year. If you're not regularly driving a vehicle that requires a CDL but do occasionally its tough to keep up. Hell even the DOT doesn't seem to know what the hell they are talking about sometimes.

SP Landscaping
08-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Had mine since 01

Mark Oomkes
08-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Well, please inform everyone of the wrong info.

AWJ Services
08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Well, please inform everyone of the wrong info.

Do you have a CDL?

Mark Oomkes
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Do you have a CDL?

I axed first.

AWJ Services
08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
I axed first.

Obviously you do not. Seriously what do you have to gain by acting this way? The CDL knowledge Award?

Mark Oomkes
08-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Obviously you do not. Seriously what do you have to gain by acting this way? The CDL knowledge Award?

Seriously? Really?

I can say I have one, but as far as you know, I could be a 15 YO girl sitting on SoBeach.

So does it really make a difference? Any and all of us could be lying.

Would you believe me if I told you I do have and have had one for I don't even remember how long?

I'd still like to hear the misinformation instead of someone just spouting out that it's wrong.

AWJ Services
08-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Seriously? Really?

I can say I have one, but as far as you know, I could be a 15 YO girl sitting on SoBeach.

So does it really make a difference? Any and all of us could be lying.

Would you believe me if I told you I do have and have had one for I don't even remember how long?

I'd still like to hear the misinformation instead of someone just spouting out that it's wrong.

The fact is you can only copy and paste what you Google off the internet. Each state has it's own variances of the Federal rules so if you do not live in the same state as the person and you have no experience with th local authorities interpretation of the rules then aren't you posting so called misinformation. Fortunately in this section most of us who post regularly here have had enough interaction between us too know that we are actually hard working people with a business and are here trying to help each other grow or businesses in a positive manner. So we share or experiences in a somewhat helpful manner. So to add validity to your opinion it helps for people too know you. If you choose to fabricate an on line persona( which you are suggesting) then your opinion will just be dismissed as overtime most of us will realize what your true intent is. Too cause trouble and stroke your ego. Have a great day.

Mark Oomkes
08-14-2012, 08:48 AM
The fact is you can only copy and paste what you Google off the internet.

So you are implying that when I or someone else posts a link from that specific state or federal website, I or someone else is giving incorrect information?

Each state has it's own variances of the Federal rules so if you do not live in the same state as the person

Which is why when I post something or ask someone to post a link backing up their statement, I use or ask them to use their state's website.

and you have no experience with th local authorities interpretation of the rules then aren't you posting so called misinformation.

I could care less about locals interpretation. The law is the law and if you ask 3 DOT cops the same question you will get at least 4 different answers. That's why we have a court system, so these DOT cops can not use their own personal interpretation based on how good a day they are having to enforce said laws.

Fortunately in this section most of us who post regularly here have had enough interaction between us too know that we are actually hard working people with a business and are here trying to help each other grow or businesses in a positive manner.

You should pay closer attention then. I've been registered for 4 more years than you have. I have posted in these threads many a time. I was here before a couple of the mods and SA even dreamed of buying it. Back when Plowsite was a subforum of Lawnsite. Bet you didn't know that.

So maybe you are the one who ought to take a look around at someone's posts and how long they have been here.

So we share or experiences in a somewhat helpful manner.

So was I. 93Chevy admitted he mistyped. What I posted was factual information for every single state. Or would you care to post links proving where I am wrong?

So to add validity to your opinion it helps for people too know you.

You're kidding?

If you choose to fabricate an on line persona( which you are suggesting)

That was sarcasm. It's a form of communication. It's used to make a point that is obvious.

For that matter, how does anyone know you are who you are?

There's a few members on here who know who I am, they're even in the same town, can you say the same thing?

then your opinion will just be dismissed as overtime most of us will realize what your true intent is.

Again, not opinion, what I have posted is fact, unless you care to provide a copy or link to where I am wrong. I am man enough to admit it publicly. Just ask Charles, he almost banned me because I called someone out publicly and was wrong about that person. So I apologized in public.

Too cause trouble and stroke your ego.

Really, how is posting factual information causing trouble and stroking one's ego?

Have a great day.

You too! :waving:

AWJ Services
08-14-2012, 09:12 AM
I was told if you argue with an idiot you have too stoop to his level and he will beat you with experience everytime!

You win! *trucewhiteflag*

Duffster
08-14-2012, 07:52 PM
I was told if you argue with an idiot you have too stoop to his level and he will beat you with experience everytime!

You win! *trucewhiteflag*

No. You won. You drug him down to that level and beat with experience.

Wether or not you have a CDL doesn't mean jack sh1t here.

You got a CDL? Great. Want a cookie? I have one too. BFD.

I have seen you post a single lick of fact in this thread. Only disinformation.

Duffster
08-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Jimmyjack I'd love to know what you think is wrong.

Junior, we are still waiting. :rolleyes:

AWJ Services
08-14-2012, 08:08 PM
No. You won. You drug him down to that level and beat with experience.

Wether or not you have a CDL doesn't mean jack sh1t here.

You got a CDL? Great. Want a cookie? I have one too. BFD.

I have seen you post a single lick of fact in this thread. Only disinformation.

You guys the Laurel and Hardy show?

Sorry did not know youy where His personal ?ut hugger!:rolleyes:

Duffster
08-14-2012, 11:09 PM
You guys the Laurel and Hardy show?

Sorry did not know youy where His personal ?ut hugger!:rolleyes:

He'd have to have some to hug. Which apparently is more then can be said for you. :waving:

jimmyjack
08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Jimmyjack I'd love to know what you think is wrong.

Junior, we are still waiting. :rolleyes:

I guess wrong was the wrong word for , maybe misinformation was a better fit.
All I was trying to get at is when anytime someone asks a cdl related question you get people jumping in on it that don't have they're cdl but they'll tell you all about what they heard from a buddy ,or say something with out posting a link to where they got it......
And yes each state can put they're own twist to the rule and regs of the cdl but for the most part they're the same , but people say what the state they live in rules are as if it's the only way the law is read , and every trooper reads it different

Hopefully I cleared up what I was getting at , I suck at putting my thoughts to the "page" :rolleyes:
And because I asked anyone else , yes I have my class A and had since 99 but and as posted above good for me right , you'd have to take me on my word or I could be Bullsh!ting

cgaengineer
08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
100% legal as of yesterday...got my med card and everything fixed the guy found wrong on my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

UfoPilot
08-17-2012, 03:51 PM
WOW! 14 pages. Wouldn't it have been easier to just call the DMV? :dizzy: WOOHOO, I just made it 15! :laugh:

AWJ Services
08-17-2012, 05:22 PM
WOW! 14 pages. Wouldn't it have been easier to just call the DMV? :dizzy: WOOHOO, I just made it 15! :laugh:

Did you even read the title too the thread? Tho OP asked " how many of you break cdl laws" Not sure if the DMV can answer that one?

muddywater
08-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Like the dmv knows the laws!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Duffster
08-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Like the dmv knows the laws!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Or the COPS.

Or most CDL holders, apparently.

YellowDogSVC
08-18-2012, 06:33 PM
It amazes me how the temperature starts to rise over this subject. I have a college degree and a very good command of the English language. I am also a "spec" and trivia buff. I find the rules confusing and open to more than one interpretation in more than one jurisdiction. I do not agree with the laws, "as written", but feel powerless to get much changed.

And now for my soap box..

One of my biggest grievances is that many of us who choose to be under CDL are limited to a mere 26k when elderly men and women are pulling "recreational vehicles" and topping the scales at 26k or more. While I am not pointing fingers at our older population, I have seen some very poor driving and traffic issues because of heavy loads and what appeared to be poor driving skills.

I would rather see my tax dollars spent on the obviously unsafe vehicle combinations in the 50k lb+ range. If it were up to me, I'd divert some of the CVE troopers to work the state highways looking for drunks after midnight and obviously unsafe or speeding commercial vehicles.

Why is this important to me? Last night a drunk driver hit a young man who is close to my family. He was traveling at 65 mph and the drunk was probably at highway speeds as well and was traveling into oncoming traffic. Had my friend not turned at the last minute, it would have been a head on collision. As it was, his truck rolled and all four young men in the vehicle went to the hospital. Thank God their injuries were minor..relative to the vehicle's damage. The 1/2 truck was completely destroyed.

The drunk fled on foot and eluded capture even though a canine unit arrived on scene in a matter of minutes. That, to me, is a priority capture because we all know these drunks will do it again. Yes, a poorly attached trailer or poorly loaded vehicle or trailer can be a danger on the road but I see more accidents involving cars and light trucks and drunks than I do anything else. I can back this up with 6 years experience as a paramedic after college.

Anyway, unless we petition our Congress, nothing will ever change. I imagine I will have to go CDL very soon which means a lot of changes for me. It also means I will have to hire CDL drivers to help haul some of my equipment since I will have to upgrade trucks just to test. It's a racket, for sure, if you are right near the cut off. I don't need to drive a rig, I just need to haul a Bobcat or a mini ex and I like the set up I have now but "compact" machines aren't getting any lighter..

Sorry for the long, off-topic post but endless levels of bureaucracy frustrate me especially when those interpreting the rules or meting out punishments do can't agree. I can back that up because I have called and written the state only to receive contradictory answers from the same office!

AWJ Services
08-18-2012, 08:59 PM
The problem is you have guys posting who actually work for a living and need advice and want to learn and then you have 3 or 4 guys who are only posting so that they can make there selves feel good by belittling someone. It speaks highly of there charecter. They are here to cause trouble not help. Of course in real life there bullying ways would be non existent as they would actually have to be held accountable for there mouths. So that ios the major reason why CDL posts become a train wreck. A few bad apples always.LOL

74inchShovel
08-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Well said Yellow Dog, let me add that CDL laws should be about Public safety. Sadly, this is not the case, look at the 1/2 page of exemptions in Washingtons CDL guide. My question to my state rep was "How can you be exempt from public safety??" His response, after a fair amount of stuttering was worthless.

AWJ Services
08-19-2012, 06:28 PM
CDL Laws are as much about public saftey as Obamacare is about providing affordable health care!

cgaengineer
08-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Well said Yellow Dog, let me add that CDL laws should be about Public safety. Sadly, this is not the case, look at the 1/2 page of exemptions in Washingtons CDL guide. My question to my state rep was "How can you be exempt from public safety??" His response, after a fair amount of stuttering was worthless.

If it was about public safety they wouldn't issue 3 month temporary medical cards for people withe extremely high blood pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
08-20-2012, 09:38 AM
The GVWR rating is on the door sticker and teh axle capacities are there as well. If you have a 2500 you can do a goosekneck and a 5 ton Mini as long as you are towing on relativley flat areas. Most of the gooseknecks with 2 7000 pound axles will have GVWR of 15k or so. You will be legally under the CDL limit but you have to take into account saftey first, not necassarily CDL rules.

How can a vehicle have a GVWR higher than the axle(s) are rated for?

If a tandem axle trailer has 2 axles rated at 7,000, it is impossible for this trailer to be rated at 15K LEGALLY.

The first thing a cop will do after checking the manufacturers tag is start looking at tires and axles for their ratings. Whatever is lowest is what he will go with.

If you want to rate a trailer with 2 7,000 axles less than 14K, you can, but you can't and I bet won't find a trailer manufacturer to rate a trailer for more than it was built to haul.

And you accuse me of throwing out crap that is different from state to state?

Michigan's law was just changed, anything under 26,001 does not fall within the cell phone guidelines anymore.

You have a state number and then a Federal number. The state number only allows you to drive in that state. texas has decided to change it's regulations to differ from federal regulations which happens alot. Thats why you see some guys oin here who post and think that the Federal regulations are the only regulations and the state cannot have different ones which obviously Texas is different.

Weird, I only have a US DOT number. That's all I have to have. As of right now I am an intrastate "carrier" and fall within those guidelines. If I start doing interstate, then things will change, but I won't need another set of numbers.

And who is giving faulty info?

The problem is you have guys posting who actually work for a living and need advice and want to learn and then you have 3 or 4 guys who are only posting so that they can make there selves feel good by belittling someone. It speaks highly of there charecter. They are here to cause trouble not help. Of course in real life there bullying ways would be non existent as they would actually have to be held accountable for there mouths. So that ios the major reason why CDL posts become a train wreck. A few bad apples always.LOL

I'm still waiting for you to tell me where I gave faulty information. You continue to ignore these requests and instead attempt to insult me (which has yet to work). Why don't you show me where I am wrong? Even when I pointed out 93Chevy's mistake, he admitted it, but you continue to think that I was mistaken.

So put up or shut up. You are the only one that has attempted to belittle me. I have posted facts. You have posted several things that are incorrect for MI and then have the guts to accuse me of exactly what you have done. So, who is they bully in this thread?

How about you post up a copy of your CDL since you seem to think that just because you allegedly possess one it makes you more correct than anyone else?

I don't remember when I got mine. Sometime in the mid 90's, I think. Really doesn't matter though since you continue to ignore facts and instead attack other members.

It amazes me how the temperature starts to rise over this subject. I have a college degree and a very good command of the English language. I am also a "spec" and trivia buff. I find the rules confusing and open to more than one interpretation in more than one jurisdiction. I do not agree with the laws, "as written", but feel powerless to get much changed.

And now for my soap box..

One of my biggest grievances is that many of us who choose to be under CDL are limited to a mere 26k when elderly men and women are pulling "recreational vehicles" and topping the scales at 26k or more. While I am not pointing fingers at our older population, I have seen some very poor driving and traffic issues because of heavy loads and what appeared to be poor driving skills.

I would rather see my tax dollars spent on the obviously unsafe vehicle combinations in the 50k lb+ range. If it were up to me, I'd divert some of the CVE troopers to work the state highways looking for drunks after midnight and obviously unsafe or speeding commercial vehicles.

Why is this important to me? Last night a drunk driver hit a young man who is close to my family. He was traveling at 65 mph and the drunk was probably at highway speeds as well and was traveling into oncoming traffic. Had my friend not turned at the last minute, it would have been a head on collision. As it was, his truck rolled and all four young men in the vehicle went to the hospital. Thank God their injuries were minor..relative to the vehicle's damage. The 1/2 truck was completely destroyed.

The drunk fled on foot and eluded capture even though a canine unit arrived on scene in a matter of minutes. That, to me, is a priority capture because we all know these drunks will do it again. Yes, a poorly attached trailer or poorly loaded vehicle or trailer can be a danger on the road but I see more accidents involving cars and light trucks and drunks than I do anything else. I can back this up with 6 years experience as a paramedic after college.

Anyway, unless we petition our Congress, nothing will ever change. I imagine I will have to go CDL very soon which means a lot of changes for me. It also means I will have to hire CDL drivers to help haul some of my equipment since I will have to upgrade trucks just to test. It's a racket, for sure, if you are right near the cut off. I don't need to drive a rig, I just need to haul a Bobcat or a mini ex and I like the set up I have now but "compact" machines aren't getting any lighter..

Sorry for the long, off-topic post but endless levels of bureaucracy frustrate me especially when those interpreting the rules or meting out punishments do can't agree. I can back that up because I have called and written the state only to receive contradictory answers from the same office!

Great post, and agreed 100%.

AWJ Services
08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
As usual your post serves no purpose other than to boost your ego. My Cellphone comment was to someone from the same state.

See if you actually knew how your GVWR weighyt rating as well as axle ratings come into play when getting checked you would understand what I am saying. However you are only capable of copy and paste.
And once again your wrong about it being illegal to have a trailer with 27k axles being rated at over 15k.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FS

So I guess now you can get right on straightening out the trailer manufacturers. :rolleyes:

Mark Oomkes
08-20-2012, 03:07 PM
As usual your post serves no purpose other than to boost your ego. My Cellphone comment was to someone from the same state.

See if you actually knew how your GVWR weighyt rating as well as axle ratings come into play when getting checked you would understand what I am saying. However you are only capable of copy and paste.
And once again your wrong about it being illegal to have a trailer with 27k axles being rated at over 15k.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FS

So I guess now you can get right on straightening out the trailer manufacturers. :rolleyes:

How's this to burst your ego bubble. I stand corrected. Never heard or seen an "overrated" trailer before. My apologies.

firefighter38310
09-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Its not the class A CDL I have problems with. I commute in my pk truck to work for a big city fire department 2-3 days a week. I drive through 6 damn speed traps. Here in TN if you have a CDL even driving private vehicle. You have to go to court for ticket and no short cuts. Sucks...I have a firefighter tag so helps some but I don't like the way treated because of CDL.
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
09-23-2012, 10:55 PM

I just noticed this post. Great question.. How can someone be exempted from public safety?
For me, i rarely travel more than 40 miles from home. Almost always rural. I am OCD about making sure my chains are tight, tires are good, truck is in tip top shape, trailer too, and I drive slow and steady.
If I was a farm worker, I haul a heck of a lot more weight on a broken down old manure truck as long as I stayed with 150 miles of the farm. That's an exemption I don't get. I don't haul all day. Just to my job and back and sometimes I leave my trailer for a week or two at a time but because I want to stay under CDL for now, I'm limited to that 26k magic number and that limits the size of machine I'd really like to have. Personally, I think I could do everything I ever wanted to do with a 36k limit but I don't think it will change any time soon. If I get a new 1 ton, from the way trucks are being rated now, I will have to get a CDL and my help and family won't be able to bring me my empty 18 ft 13k trailer or my empty 12,950, 12' dump trailer unless they get their CDL's. Doesn't seem fair.

ioilyouin
09-25-2012, 01:01 AM
I agree with Shovel and Dog. It really burns my azz how townships, fire protection districts and farmers are given the free pass to look the other way from compliance. I had a road commissioner in my truck the other day while I was on my bluetooth. He said he hoped that he wouldn't have to be forced to use on of those things. Whether has was mandated to or not, he should be. I find it intriguing that local government will spend money for compliance, but when it comes to themselves having to actually be held accountable...hold on there!

Mark Oomkes
09-25-2012, 07:41 AM
I agree with Shovel and Dog. It really burns my azz how townships, fire protection districts and farmers are given the free pass to look the other way from compliance.

As a fireman, I couldn't agree more.

Downright scary riding with some of these guys. They've never operated anything larger than a passenger car and all of a sudden they're running lights and siren in a 40K truck.

I think it's beyond ridiculous, especially when you look at what the drivers' training consists of for the state of Michigan. Parallel parking an engine, going through narrowing lane, backing into a loading dock at a 90* without a spotter, driving forward through a serpentine course then backwards. I think there is one more, but nothing that relates to driving on the road.

I agree with the others too. But the fire one has always amazed me.

Landis Logs
09-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Here in DE if you're in a commercial vehicle, regardless of weight, and it's a combination vehicle you have to have your class B license.

Mark Oomkes
10-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Here in DE if you're in a commercial vehicle, regardless of weight, and it's a combination vehicle you have to have your class B license.

I'm sure you can provide us a link proving this, correct?

tonydirks
10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

The above is from the federal CDL site. These are Federal Laws, the only difference from state to state in this is how strictly they enforce these. The more differences found state to state are in other requirements. And a whole new mess starts when you cross state lines or travel 150 airmiles from home.

In most any state, if you are getting paid to drive, example: if your driving for your job and you are on the clock, a commercial liscence of some type is required. (In Missouri it is a class E), And it makes no difference on what size of vehichle, you could be driving a car!

Duffster
10-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Class The more differences found state to state are in other requirements. And a whole new mess starts when you cross state lines or travel 150 airmiles from home.

Like what?

In most any state, if you are getting paid to drive, example: if your driving for your job and you are on the clock, a commercial liscence of some type is required. (In Missouri it is a class E), And it makes no difference on what size of vehichle, you could be driving a car!

There is only a minute handful of state that have anything like a MO's class E or a chauffers license. And not all of them apply to any size vehicle.

21eagle
10-03-2012, 09:35 AM
I have a seal rite sr700 sealcoating trailer. It has dual 7k lb axles so gvw is 14,000lbs. If I'm towing with a F250 do I need a CDL? I NEVER load it fully bc sealer weighs about 10lbs a gallon and trailer empty prob weighs 3500. My truck is rated 9000lbs so I load max 500 gallons so I'm not over. BUT with the GVW of trailer being 14,000lbs am I over by DoT laws just bc it is rated at 14000lbs?

Duffster
10-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I have a seal rite sr700 sealcoating trailer. It has dual 7k lb axles so gvw is 14,000lbs. If I'm towing with a F250 do I need a CDL? I NEVER load it fully bc sealer weighs about 10lbs a gallon and trailer empty prob weighs 3500. My truck is rated 9000lbs so I load max 500 gallons so I'm not over. BUT with the GVW of trailer being 14,000lbs am I over by DoT laws just bc it is rated at 14000lbs?

Does the trailer have a 14k GVW or GVWR?

If it's GVWR then you don't need a CDL to tow it with a F250. I am presuming that sealer is not hazmat.

21eagle
10-03-2012, 10:48 AM
GVWR so I guess I'm good. No hazmat just have to carry paperwork on the sealer, so they know exactly what I'm carrying. Thank you for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Michael J. Donovan
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
hey guys, let's keep to the topic and refrain from the personal attacks and/or name calling please

thanks, we would appreciate it :waving:

Duffster
10-04-2012, 12:22 PM

I guess I will point it out again. :rolleyes:

That is completely inaccurate.