PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing a hydraulic system

Michdeere
08-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I know it's early, but I have a winterization question. I took on a site this Spring with an older Toro hydraulic system. It's a lake fed system. There is a 1/4" line tapped in just downstream from the pump that feeds the electric/hydraulic manifold. Eventually, all of the water will be forced out of this 1/4" line. Will I still be able to cycle through all 12 zones without water feeding the valves? Thanks for your input.

Wet_Boots
08-02-2012, 07:11 AM
You don't know what's what until you see the zone valves

Michdeere
08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
You don't know what's what until you see the zone valves

I know that of the 11 total valves, 2 are electric. The rest are hydraulic. What am I missing? Thanks!

Wet_Boots
08-02-2012, 04:59 PM
you are missing knowledge of the zone valves - some cannot be fully winterized, not for a billion dollars

irritation
08-02-2012, 05:13 PM
I still have 6 or 7 hydraulic systems. 2 are on lake pumps but they have a separate clean water supply for the hydraulics. Leaving the hydraulic supply on during blow out works ok but you need to disconnect the supply tubing after you blow the pipes out and go through it again, all zones will come on and you will have no pressure but it's enough to clear the tubing of water.

Systems that supply both with the same water source are a ***** and you pretty much need to open each valve manually, if you can find them.

How do have electric valves on a hydraulic system?

irritation
08-02-2012, 05:35 PM
electric/hydraulic manifold.

Sorry, missed that part.

Wet_Boots
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Thing is, Toro made a cylindrical glued-together version of the hydraulic valve, and it has no bleed screw. If said valve was to be the NO (normally open) version, instead of the pin-type version, then there would be no way to get winterizing air into the control line to the valve.

irritation
08-02-2012, 05:59 PM
They are a pain and should be upgraded. The original landscape design has totally changed by now.

Wet_Boots
08-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Anyway, as long as you got some constant air pressure to the controller, at a pressure greater than that of the blowout air, the valves and controller will work. If you slack off on the pressure feeding the controller, all the hydraulic zone valves will immediately open.

Mike Leary
08-02-2012, 06:15 PM
They are a pain and should be upgraded. The original landscape design has totally changed by now.

Ditto, I'm suprised that they are still in "service".

irritation
08-02-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm suprised that they are still in "service".

They are quite dependable but adding zones is almost out of the question.

Michdeere
08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I believe each of you are correct with your assessments. The system IS old, the landscape has changed, I have NO idea where all of the valves are (about half), and if it weren't for this electric/hydraulic manifold, I would be unable to expand the system. God help me if one of the missing valves decides to go T.U. I'll do what I can with it this Fall...