PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmer Question

GrazerZ
08-15-2000, 11:51 PM
Hello everyone. Was just down to my local equiptment dealer today and was pondering the purchase of a new hedge trimmer. Question has to do with the handle styles.
Which one is better for what conditions. I've used the type set up like a chainsaw but i'm interseted in knowing what the advatages are to the rear handle type are. It looks a bit unusual but if it works good...
Also was eyeballing the chainsaw type but with a rotating handle. Any imput is welcome. Thanx in advance.

Grasscape Inc
08-16-2000, 09:05 AM
The idea for the rear handle one-sided cutters is that you get more lenth wiht less weight.

We use all REDMAX single sided 30" hedge trimmers.
Alot easier on the large hedges

Stinger
08-16-2000, 10:58 AM
GrazerZ: Red Max was the first with the rotating handle and now you see it on other equipment like Husky. Personally I never really use the handle in other positions because it sometimes sticks and find it a pain to change around constantly when cutting so I leave it be (nice option though). As for one sided bars I don't like them because you have to comb the hedge like you would your hair. I prefer the two sided bars so I can cut in both directions. Just remember the larger the bar the more your gonna cut, especially if you make a mistake. Before you spend several hundered $$$ check with your local rental stores for what brands they have. Then you can try before you buy (good luck).

Cutter1
08-16-2000, 06:57 PM
I use echo trimmers. I like thes because they are light and cut pretty good. I have used the one sided ones also and do not like the fact that you can only cut one way. I also have shindaiwa articulating trimmers(THe long ones) These are nice to use for shrpubs that are high and would usually require a ladder. They are great on your back too!! They are little pricy, so whatever you decide on, I highly recommend testing them first.

bob
08-16-2000, 07:05 PM
I like the double sided clippers. That way you can move the clippers back and forth. The single sided clippers look awkward to use.

Runner
08-18-2000, 12:13 AM
Most of my 2 stroke equipment is echo except my chainsaws and hedge trimmers- they're Stihl. Excellent. I have the oscillating handles but anymore, I only use these saws in tight quarters. I purchased a pole hedgetrimmer to reach higher areas and to reach across deep shrubs and now find myself using it for about everything. It takes a little getting used to at first but MAN, what a LABOR saver!!! It's so nice to not even really have to bend downto do regular shrubs! And talk about time! Because the saw is out further, you don't have as much arm movement-6 inches at the handle equals 2 feet at the blade! Does anyone else have these saws?

carlsmower
08-18-2000, 12:19 AM
JUST TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT TANAKA WAS THE FIRST ONE WITH A TWIST REAR HANDLE. CHECK THEM OUT, THEY HAVE EXCELLENT WEIGHT AND AN AWESOME ENGINE, THEY ALSO WERE ONE OF THE FIRST COMPANIES WITH DOUBLE SIDES BLADES!! COST ANYWHERE FROM $300 TO $400, THE THT-2520 IS THE BIGGEST AND BEST 24CC ENGINE, 30 INCH BLADE, AND A SOUND REDUCTION SYSTEM THAT MAKES THEM MUCH NICER TO OPERATE.

thelawnguy
08-18-2000, 10:31 PM
I have 2- 30-inch single side trimmers. Pro-you can hold the handle with one hand, the gearbox with a gloved hand, and get another two feet reach. Con-the single blade has nothing to counteract spreading force, so if you use it for heavy growth it will not work well anymore for fine growth, the blades have spread permanently(I have two Echos which this has happened to-this weekend I will cobble the two together and make one acceptable spare machine, and order a HC-1600 thru J Thomas)