PDA

View Full Version : Unlicensed schmucks

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I have around 4 LCO's operating my my town. 3 are unlicensed and doing apps. Anyone else completely tired of this?

Ric
08-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I have around 4 LCO's operating my my town. 3 are unlicensed and doing apps. Anyone else completely tired of this?

Not only am I tired of it but they charge more per application than I do. In this economy the State Ag dept isn't going to do a thing to stop it. Fla Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control has pretty much come out and said they only deal with compliance and not Enforcement. Unlike a Law enforcement officer the inspector must have physical proof of an in-faction because their word isn't good like a Police officer who only has to see you run a stop sign to give a ticket.

What do they mean by Compliance and not enforcement? They will only go after Legal guys to make sure they are compliant with all the rules & regulations.

huntergreen
08-02-2012, 09:59 PM
We have several providing treatments with out applicator license, contractor license and proper insurance which you are supposed to have all of them in Georgia. Our Dept of Ag inspector is very good but covers 23 counties in North Georgia. Our license fee's (government term for tax) have more then doubled in the last two years. But if your operating illegally what does it matter?

grandview (2006)
08-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Everyday you see them. Lawn boys selling doing lawn apps.

WestGaPineStraw
08-02-2012, 10:23 PM
I know a few personally, they mow as well and cannot excel in either.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I know a few personally, they mow as well and cannot excel in either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn schmuck is as lawn schmuck does

charmill26
08-02-2012, 11:51 PM
no point in being pissed about what you have no control over. keep selling on quality and let them run themselves into the ground

jbturf
08-03-2012, 11:10 PM
ya right in my town today, 3man crew doing a comercial complex, one mowing one blowing, and one walking around in flipflops and shorts n tee blasting stuff witha hand can:hammerhead: , i considered saying hello, but realized they were all speaking spanish and the canman was cleary a young kid, oh well

ArTurf
08-03-2012, 11:34 PM
I take the names and/or license plate #'s and turn them in to the state plant board. They are required to investigate. I know for a fact it has stopped several. One came up to me and threatened to "get even" with me for turning him in.

ted putnam
08-04-2012, 12:35 AM
I was pleasantly surprised earlier this year. One of my guys was asked for his agents registration this year by a plant board inspector while treating a local Dentist office that is a long time customer. He told my guy he was making sure that we paid our fees. After looking at my guys current applicator card he said, "you've got all your supplies labeled...right? "You've got all your PPE...right?."Like I said, I just wanted to make sure you guys have paid your license fees and are all current." All was good.

I was shocked and like I said, pleasantly surprised. IMO, for the most part, that's what they should be doing...not visiting licensed individuals at their place of business for a "white glove test" unless of course, there has been some kind of complaint filed.

I am in Central Arkansas and from what he described he pretty much has the NE quadrant of the state and covers it himself.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-04-2012, 01:41 AM
I take the names and/or license plate #'s and turn them in to the state plant board. They are required to investigate. I know for a fact it has stopped several. One came up to me and threatened to "get even" with me for turning him in.

Filing a complaint through your channel should be anonymous. How did the illegal party get your name as the one who turned you in? Did the state tell them you were the one? If so, that may be illegal in and of itself, to disclose you as the whistle blower.

Yatt
08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I was pleasantly surprised earlier this year. One of my guys was asked for his agents registration this year by a plant board inspector while treating a local Dentist office that is a long time customer. He told my guy he was making sure that we paid our fees. After looking at my guys current applicator card he said, "you've got all your supplies labeled...right? "You've got all your PPE...right?."Like I said, I just wanted to make sure you guys have paid your license fees and are all current." All was good.

I was shocked and like I said, pleasantly surprised. IMO, for the most part, that's what they should be doing...not visiting licensed individuals at their place of business for a "white glove test" unless of course, there has been some kind of complaint filed.

I am in Central Arkansas and from what he described he pretty much has the NE quadrant of the state and covers it himself.

Good post!

However it seems like the inspector was more concerned about the State getting their fees paid?:rolleyes::laugh:

Groomer
08-04-2012, 11:39 AM
this thread also speaks volumns about the people and businesses who are hiring these people in the first place.

Ric
08-04-2012, 11:57 AM
this thread also speaks volumns about the people and businesses who are hiring these people in the first place.

Some people think they get a bargain by using unlicensed people. I have had more than one customer pay cash without an invoice because they assumed I was an employee. They even approached me with the steal from your boss attitude. I charge them more in some cases.

Sooner or later the unlicensed Scrub will mess up and cost the Homeowner more than they saved him. Or in some cases they only cost more and do less.

cpllawncare
08-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I wish they would regulate the whole industry and make everyone take a state test to become a LCO

bug-guy
08-04-2012, 11:22 PM
as long as there are legal professionals(any profession) there will be people doing it illegally. LCO's,painting, mowing, irrigation etc.... i see lawn cutters doing fert and weed and insect control, doing irrigation and anything people will pay to have done. sooner or later they either get le-git, or fade away. some of them don't even know what they are doing is ilegal. i have talked a few into getting the limited license ( aka roundup lic.) and stick to ornamentals. here in fla they can use a non powered back pack of 4 gals and less and treat onamentals and beds with non- RUP products.
atleast i believe this is true, Ric???

joe

cpllawncare
08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
as long as there are legal professionals(any profession) there will be people doing it illegally. LCO's,painting, mowing, irrigation etc.... i see lawn cutters doing fert and weed and insect control, doing irrigation and anything people will pay to have done. sooner or later they either get le-git, or fade away. some of them don't even know what they are doing is ilegal. i have talked a few into getting the limited license ( aka roundup lic.) and stick to ornamentals. here in fla they can use a non powered back pack of 4 gals and less and treat onamentals and beds with non- RUP products.

joe

My point is you would have to be a licensed LCO with some sort of formal education or training to work, would you hire an unlicensed electrician or contractor to work on your house? Insurance companies require work to be done by a licensed contractor, which requires you have to take a state test.

ArTurf
08-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Filing a complaint through your channel should be anonymous. How did the illegal party get your name as the one who turned you in? Did the state tell them you were the one? If so, that may be illegal in and of itself, to disclose you as the whistle blower.

I reported this to the head of enforcement division and he assured me his inspector did not give my name out. But I have been told by several and even one I might believe that my name was given out. They may have just assumed I was the one since I am the only one who is licensed. Either way I am not ashamed that I turned them in since they know they were in the wrong and it was not going to stop unless I did something.

Ric
08-07-2012, 01:01 AM

joe.

Legally a Fla Limited License can only use a Manual sprayer no larger than 4 gallons. Legally they can only use Pesticides with Caution labels.

How ever the Limited License has a much larger range of applications or money making ability than 99% of yard boys have the knowledge to offer. For that reason it is better known as the Roundup license because that is the limit of most of those with the license.

bug-guy
08-07-2012, 01:25 AM

Legally a Fla Limited License can only use a Manual sprayer no larger than 4 gallons. Legally they can only use Pesticides with Caution labels.

How ever the Limited License has a much larger range of applications or money making ability than 99% of yard boys have the knowledge to offer. For that reason it is better known as the Roundup license because that is the limit of most of those with the license.

right i forgot the caution label

joe