PDA

View Full Version : Good plan for this palmetto?

Florida Gardener
08-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I have a property in a community that is filled with mature oaks. The fronts of the properties get a lot of shade during the day. I re-sodded the front last year with 2 pallets of palmetto, and it has done very well. The areas by the street are the worst, getting the most shade. I was thinking of dethatching yearly and topsressing with topsoil...now I know that won't cure the problem, but will it GREATLY help it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-02-2012, 07:07 PM
I have a property in a community that is filled with mature oaks. The fronts of the properties get a lot of shade during the day. I re-sodded the front last year with 2 pallets of palmetto, and it has done very well. The areas by the street are the worst, getting the most shade. I was thinking of dethatching yearly and topsressing with topsoil...now I know that won't cure the problem, but will it GREATLY help it?
Posted via Mobile Device.

With out seeing the situation, I might suggest DAY LIGHTING the trees to allow more sun on the turf.

Florida Gardener
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM

With out seeing the situation, I might suggest DAY LIGHTING the trees to allow more sun on the turf.

That was actually done Ric right before we sodded...I should prob take a pic.
Posted via Mobile Device

olive123
08-17-2012, 10:31 AM
if you topdress with topsoil you will probabally have issues with brownpatch when cool weather comes in. Holds too much moisture.

Florida Gardener
08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
if you topdress with topsoil you will probabally have issues with brownpatch when cool weather comes in. Holds too much moisture.

What would be your recommend then??
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
What would be your recommend then??
Posted via Mobile Device

A sod cutter and something other than Palmetto :walking: J/K

Is it just thinning overall? Or does it look to be diseased?

Florida Gardener
08-17-2012, 02:49 PM
A sod cutter and something other than Palmetto :walking: J/K

Is it just thinning overall? Or does it look to be diseased?
The palmetto is doing fine. Actually, pretty good. I just want to keep it looking that way and I know in shade, it could go downhill. I've put minima around the oaks which is doing great. I was thinking that dethatching once a year and topsressing would keep it good.
Posted via Mobile Device