PDA

View Full Version : small project

markam70
08-02-2012, 10:41 PM
thoughts or opinions?

scagrider22
08-03-2012, 12:04 AM
If you would have just done the large half circle in front of the garage it would have looked ok but the smaller half circles look pretty bad, to much going on!

GreenI.A.
08-03-2012, 01:09 AM
I disagree with the post above. I can see whats going on. One large circle centered on the garage. Then another partial one in the corner with a matching radius. Then a smaller one connecting the two at the walkway. I think if you posted pics from different angles then Scagrider can see what the layout is, maybe one from a distance facing the garage and also one from the walkway beside the garage back a little distance facing towards the drive. The hing I disagree with is the pattern of the field, I have never been too fond of that one but that's just my opinion.

Agape
08-03-2012, 01:21 AM
dude, that looks awesome! don't listen to those hacks!:clapping:

scagrider22
08-03-2012, 01:35 AM
I can see whats going on just fine and I don't like it, he asked what we thought and I told him. The outline looks good, I don't like the pavers they look cheap, not crazy about the pattern, the inlay by the garage door is hideous. I'm far from a hack I've been hardscaping for 16 years, don't let my screen name fool you as I have not touched a mower in years, I just buy them! But I do think it was a cool idea and could have looked good but a few things just make it look odd.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
08-03-2012, 01:41 AM
dude, that looks awesome! don't listen to those hacks!:clapping:

Hack? What the hell did I say? The only thing that was evenly remotely negative was that I said that I'm not fond of that pattern.

Lite4
08-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I like it.

markam70
08-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I can see whats going on just fine and I don't like it, he asked what we thought and I told him. The outline looks good, I don't like the pavers they look cheap, not crazy about the pattern, the inlay by the garage door is hideous. I'm far from a hack I've been hardscaping for 16 years, don't let my screen name fool you as I have not touched a mower in years, I just buy them! But I do think it was a cool idea and could have looked good but a few things just make it look odd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just curious as to what makes the pavers look "cheap"
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
08-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Looks good! It would look better if the rest of the driveway was concrete but I like it!

big daddy b
08-03-2012, 04:47 PM
It looks really good! Great work.
I mean it's not really my thing, or what I would do at my home, but looks good nonetheless.

My question is, how did you go about meeting up with the driveway?
The driveway doesn't look brand new, so I doubt it was paved to the brick.

Did you cut the driveway to meet the pavers?
If so, that looks so smooth.

neversatisfiedj
08-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Pavers do look cheap , so does srw block

markam70
08-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Pavers do look cheap , so does srw block

Again, what makes them look "cheap"?

DVS Hardscaper
08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
I agree with scag, from an architectural standpoint it just looks too busy.

I can't think of his user name, but there is an active member here who focuses on keeping it simple. His designs / work is some of the best I've seen.

The craftsmanship looks good though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
08-04-2012, 12:26 AM
I need to see it in person but from the picture it looks like a pair of tits hanging out of the garage
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
08-04-2012, 12:27 AM
but i do realise thats possibly not a fair statement
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-04-2012, 11:55 PM
I agree with the cheap paver look. Its partly the actual paver pattern as well as the rounded edges to me that make them look cheap.

I like the layout, we do things similar to this all the time. I am not a fan of the inset colors by the garage but over all pretty good.

sven1277
08-05-2012, 12:32 AM
What does the customer think? Thats the most important thing. We have done jobs before that I haven't liked the aesthetics, but the customer was ecstatic. The money is still green.

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Yup. My favorite Internet line - (spoken in a Barney rubble voice) "well the customer loves it".

Of freakin course they do. Their are of expertise is in something no where near architecture and design.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Yup. My favorite Internet line - (spoken in a Barney rubble voice) "well the customer loves it".

Of freakin course they do. Their area of expertise is in something no where near architecture and design.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

markam70
08-05-2012, 12:53 PM
The customer has the final say in the design since it IS there property and they love it. I'm not sold on it but the craftsmanship is in my control and I am pleased with that. Perhaps a different angle would give a better perspective and appeal.
As for the "cheap" pavers, they are Nicolock. Again, not my first choice but they picked them.
Thanks for the comments
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2012, 01:11 PM
As professionals it's our duty to educate and guide. We have some jobs where we did the clients horrible design. And I have some folks where I've said "no way no how, call someone else"
Posted via Mobile Device

markam70
08-05-2012, 01:48 PM
As professionals it's our duty to educate and guide. We have some jobs where we did the clients horrible design. And I have some folks where I've said "no way no how, call someone else"
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree completely, however, with the economy the way it is, this was a GOOD paying job and its hard to turn those away even if you don't completely agree with some elements of the design.
I have followed this forum for some time and I value your comments along with a few others. Thanks for actually taking the time to explain rather than offering a one line comment such as "pavers look cheap"
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
08-05-2012, 02:00 PM
If you can't tell that those pavers look cheap you have been living under a rock, I have not used a paver like those in over 10 years, I typically use UNILOCK who has a similar paver and they are bottom of the barrel. Like I said earlier you had a good idea it just wasn't executed very well. Sorry I didn't respond fast enough for you, I've been busy running a business.
Posted via Mobile Device

markam70
08-05-2012, 02:41 PM
If you can't tell that those pavers look cheap you have been living under a rock, I have not used a paver like those in over 10 years, I typically use UNILOCK who has a similar paver and they are bottom of the barrel. Like I said earlier you had a good idea it just wasn't executed very well. Sorry I didn't respond fast enough for you, I've been busy running a business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dude calm down. I wasn't referring to you. Go take your meds and go run your business and have a nice day
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm very calm but how could you not have been talking to me... I'm the one that said the pavers look cheap!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

markam70
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
You actually offered some explanation. Someone else posted the one-liner.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2012, 04:20 PM
We install alotta Nicolock.

They have all the same pavers as the other companIes. There are only 2 mold manufacturers, 1 in Germany 1 in Md.

I'm on my phone, can't see the pic, what pavers are they?
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
08-05-2012, 04:57 PM
We install alotta Nicolock.

They have all the same pavers as the other companIes. There are only 2 mold manufacturers, 1 in Germany 1 in Md.

I'm on my phone, can't see the pic, what pavers are they?
Posted via Mobile Device

They look like Colonial Cobble. Im sure the pavers will hold up well so I guess maybe the term cheap wasn't what I meant as you can now buy similar looking pavers at Home Depot, I should have used the term "outdated".

markam70
08-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Nicolock Rustico
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Nicolock Rustico
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a commonly used paver 'round here
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
It was common here 10-15 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I love old pavers.

All the houses have newer styles. All look the same on the block. House after house after house. Same pavers.

Finally someone in the hood goes with something unique. Love it EVERY time!
Posted via Mobile Device

jrmyj
08-10-2012, 02:18 AM
looks good. I like what you did in front of the garage. Clean tie in to the blacktop.

Agape
08-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I need to see it in person but from the picture it looks like a pair of tits hanging out of the garage
Posted via Mobile Device

maybe that's what i like about it.....:laugh:

alexschultz1
08-15-2012, 12:12 AM
I don't understand the design behind it. Money poorly invested IMO