PDA

View Full Version : Pump Issue

ArTurf
08-03-2012, 07:16 PM
I am working on a system that had a booster pump but the pump was giving him problems and he eliminated it. The system needs the pump. The problem was that somehow exessive pressure was being created on the intake side and bulging the pipes. Oddly there was not exessive pressure on the output side. What would have caused this. I would post pics but this was several years ago.

irritation
08-03-2012, 07:43 PM
What kind of pipe(s) is it? I've seen air compressors get hot and cause ballooning close to blow out connections.

Mike Leary
08-03-2012, 07:52 PM
What kind of pipe(s) is it? I've seen air compressors get hot and cause ballooning close to blow out connections.

Good point, which is why I never used anything but copper and brass for booster applications.

1idejim
08-03-2012, 08:09 PM
The problem was that somehow exessive pressure was being created on the intake side and bulging the pipes. Oddly there was not exessive pressure on the output side. .

dead heading caused by the pump running when the system was off or there is/was an obstruction is probable.

i posted a pic a few years ago about a swelled return pipe on a swimming pool. the throttle valve had been closed by the maintenance company and the pump dead headed. the water was hot enough to cook shrimp

ArTurf
08-03-2012, 09:35 PM

PVC

Deadheading sounds like a likely cause, just wondering why the pipe ballooned on the intake and not the output side? More heat at that point I guess.

1idejim
08-03-2012, 09:55 PM
PVC

Deadheading sounds like a likely cause, just wondering why the pipe ballooned on the intake and not the output side? More heat at that point I guess.

a check valve installed on the suction line would trap the water which would expand as it heated up. this prolly happened over a period of time. the pipe would grow a little here and there until it became obvious.
on the other hand the blowout theory is plausablePosted via Mobile Device