PDA

View Full Version : Weeping Valves

cjohn2000
08-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Ive had a migraine for the better part of the day, so Im gonna try and make this make sense. Seems like all things lately come in threes. This week ive had to address weeping valves on three different sites. The first was a residential 1" RB DV100, cleaned it, leaked, replace the guts, leaked, now my boss suggests we just replace it. Went to a commercial site 1.5" RB peb. Cleaned a few burrs off the diaphragm, still leaked, tightened the solenoid and problem solved. Next, is the grey and black RB valve stuck open throw new diaphragm in it and now it weeps out of the lowest head, tightened the solenoid seemed to stop.

cjohn2000
08-04-2012, 02:13 AM
My question is , whats the best cost effective policy for the average valve. Obviously we cant always have it our way and pull out something we dont like, like the above scab job. I always been more inclined to try and clean stuck valves first and throw guts at the weepers. But I always find myself pulling the guts out of the lowest head watching for water to stop. Thanks, Corey.:waving:

irritation
08-04-2012, 02:43 AM
I've had days like that too but not recently. Flush the valves, replace the diaphrams and install check valves on low heads. Listen for seepage with a stethoscope. Check for pressure loss with a gauge. Time consuming and irritating crap.

cjohn2000
08-04-2012, 02:45 AM
I've had days like that too but not recently. Flush the valves, replace the diaphrams and install check valves on low heads. Listen for seepage with a stethoscope. Check for pressure loss with a gauge. Time consuming and irritating crap. Sometimes I roll up on a weeping valve and you can hear water going through, a high pitch hissing. But none the less irritating. My biggest thing is solving the problem on the first call.

irritation
08-04-2012, 03:04 AM
My biggest thing is solving the problem on the first call.

Why? My biggest problem is convincing them they don't have a leak.

cjohn2000
08-04-2012, 03:08 AM
In the case of the first example the valve will get replaced entirely on the third trip. We dont carry parts for valves, so figure two trips if the valve needs parts.

irritation
08-04-2012, 03:18 AM
You don't carry DV valves on the truck?

cjohn2000
08-04-2012, 03:33 AM
I be lucky to hav one complete valve to go in.

muddywater
08-04-2012, 07:18 AM
I replace the guts on all seeping valves. Valves are cheap and labor isn't.

mrsteve
08-04-2012, 10:22 AM
For a few years now we have seen quite a few of peb's cracked at the seat. Rebuild will not fix this seep, has to be removed. I think the newer valves have addressed this problem. I used Irritrols as replacements, during this time. I'm still a little cautious about the peb.

grassman177
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
i had to cut out(very easy to do on this job) a valve today, it was seeping, and i cant even find a model or brand on it. plus, it was tiny as heck, the smallest valve i have ever seen, 3/4 in female

cjohn2000
08-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Youll have to post a pic. Im thinking rainjet.

AI Inc
08-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Maybe time for a master valve.

grassman177
08-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Youll have to post a pic. Im thinking rainjet.

you talking to me?

i have it in the van, in the trash bucket. i can get a pic if you want.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Maybe time for a master valve.

I have been thinking about master valves lately for new installs. I have always fought weeping valves on my warrantied new installs. First I used a Hunter PGVs and went through tons of leaking valves.

Then I switched to Rain Bird PGA valves and they have stopped manufacturing them temporarily due to seeping valves. I replaced 3 pga's under warranty from seeping last week.

Now I am using the tried and true dv100 with flow control.

And I wonder if I used a master valve if it would cut down on my warranty calls.

Wet_Boots
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Richdel valves always made it through warranty payup

grassman177
08-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I dont consider it correct without a master valve, ever.in fact,i often add them to existing systems.cheap fail safe imo
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
08-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Since they work so hard, I've always used either W*M or Superior brass valves for masters. Ouch! Look at that post count, I better not drive today. :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
08-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Since they work so hard, I've always used either W*M or Superior brass valves for masters.after seeing their cheesy 3/4-inch brass valve used by the sleazeball homemade-copper-insert-fittings installers, I came to distrust Superior valves.

ArTurf
08-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I have been thinking about master valves lately for new installs. I have always fought weeping valves on my warrantied new installs. First I used a Hunter PGVs and went through tons of leaking valves.

Then I switched to Rain Bird PGA valves and they have stopped manufacturing them temporarily due to seeping valves. I replaced 3 pga's under warranty from seeping last week.

Now I am using the tried and true dv100 with flow control.

And I wonder if I used a master valve if it would cut down on my warranty calls.

I know you know this but I will mention it anyway. Most of the weeping on new intstalls I see are from debris in the line. The cleaner you can keep the main pipe during the install the less problems you are gonna have. Of course the occasional piece of glue/pvc is gonna show up. A main valve is only going to mask the problem.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I know you know this but I will mention it anyway. Most of the weeping on new intstalls I see are from debris in the line. The cleaner you can keep the main pipe during the install the less problems you are gonna have. Of course the occasional piece of glue/pvc is gonna show up. A main valve is only going to mask the problem.

We flush our main lines. There is NEVER debris in the valves. We are anal about flushing.

It is manufacturing defects. That is why you cannot buy a pga valve right now. My dealer got a note from rain bird saying they are shipping pebs instead of pgas while they correct the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
we/I'm real big on flushing main line valves...

Wet_Boots
08-05-2012, 12:49 PM
We flush our main lines. There is NEVER debris in the valves. We are anal about flushing.

It is manufacturing defects. That is why you cannot buy a pga valve right now. My dealer got a note from rain bird saying they are shipping pebs instead of pgas while they correct the problem.
Posted via Mobile DeviceWhat's the attraction about a PGA valve anyway?

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I wish my boss would start using pressure reg valves more often...

More than ever I see over pressure as an issue. Misting/ripping heads doesn't always mean thats the efficient.

ArTurf
08-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I wish my boss would start using pressure reg valves more often...

More than ever I see over pressure as an issue. Misting/ripping heads doesn't always mean thats the efficient.

Are you talking about Flow Control? It is usually less than $2 difference vs non flow. Can't see why that would make the difference on cost.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Are you talking about Flow Control? It is usually less than $2 difference vs non flow. Can't see why that would make the difference on cost.

Sadly not to be a d1ck or anything but you don't know my boss..

It took me 4.5 months to get 6 remote patch cords for my roam remote.

cjohn2000
08-05-2012, 01:33 PM
you talking to me?

i have it in the van, in the trash bucket. i can get a pic if you want.

The rainjet valve I saw once had the name in small letter on the bonnet or in the indentation on the bonnet.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 03:34 PM
What's the attraction about a PGA valve anyway?

Well I was getting them for $10 a piece and I thought it was tougher than a dv100... and it isn't!! Plus they look a little sexier.

I think the dv100s now have a 5 year warranty.

muddywater
08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Sadly not to be a d1ck or anything but you don't know my boss..

It took me 4.5 months to get 6 remote patch cords for my roam remote.

I know it is a minimal costs, but I understand where your boss is coming from. When you are a business owner its like you are floating on a piece of wood with a 1000 termites on it... just nibbling away. One less termite and it will help you stay afloat.

Wet_Boots
08-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Well I was getting them for $10 a piece and I thought it was tougher than a dv100... and it isn't!! Plus they look a little sexier.

I think the dv100s now have a 5 year warranty.sounds like a deal, but I always thought the PGA was their first attempt to break free of the purchased EV100 valves

grassman177
08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
I would have to really clean it cuz the while valve box was full to the brim with mud....ill look and get a picThe rainjet valve I saw once had the name in small letter on the bonnet or in the indentation on the bonnet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
08-05-2012, 09:12 PM
It could also be branded Hardie, who was the actual manufacturer.

grassman177
08-06-2012, 07:40 PM
it is a hardie actually, tried to get the close up but it is too blury. here is the valve after washing it a bit. never heard of or seen this. here, it is only toro, RB, or hunger. an occasional irritrol here and there.

it is a 3/4 valve, and man this thing is tiny as hell. been in the ground since the original install about 25 years ago. i cut it out, and the one next to it cuz it was unseen, and broken while digging (buried and extreme roots around both). installed rb dv100 in its place

BTW, with class like the rest of you fine gentlemen here, i got the boot shot for you.

Wet_Boots
08-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Hardie was obviously going after the crowded-valve-box market :p

Mike Leary
08-06-2012, 08:44 PM
The boot shot was crisp and clear, that's all we care about.

grassman177
08-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Thank u very much
Posted via Mobile Device

Cloud9Landscapes
08-09-2012, 02:26 AM
Hardie used to own Rain Jet...richdel and the original HYDRO-RAIN too for that matter. The Rain Jet valves looked almost exactly like that but were even more compact.

I've certainly had my troubles with the DV series not shutting off when activated manually without some prompting of the flow control. But I could say that about a lot of valves.

Wet_Boots
08-09-2012, 09:44 AM
the Rain-Jet version would have had the Richdel solenoid - that was the first of what Hardie called their Ultraflow valves

grassman177
08-09-2012, 10:14 PM
you guys have been at it for much longer than i have, lol

i have never heard of those companies, and have no idea who put these in but the original installer, who installed toro with exception of these valves.

i only work with toro, hunter and rainbird. like i said, i see some irritrol, but replace, never repair since it is rare and dont want to stock parts for something i rarely see.

irritation
08-09-2012, 10:34 PM
but replace, never repair since it is rare and dont want to stock parts for something i rarely see.

Sometimes it just takes 10 min to repair with the correct parts. And that product may be better than any replacement.

grassman177
08-10-2012, 06:45 PM
maybe, sometimes, but instant fix is more important to most, especially with a severe drought and the inability to use the system, cuz it weeps too much. new valve, and done.

no supplier has hardie vavles around here that is for sure, so that doesnt really apply to this job. no one wants to wait, and i dont want to shop around and waste time trying to find a part for a valve i am never going to see again anyhow.