PDA

View Full Version : 150 gallon ride on sprayer

Ric
08-04-2012, 01:33 PM

I just got off the phone with a Lawnsite Member who reminded me I never posted a finish picture of my restored Toro WorkPro. I posted pictures of the work in progress. It is 2 year since I restored this now 20 year old unit. The New cost of this equipment is close to $ 30 K. I have a little over $ 5 K in it as it sits and the Machine has paid for itself many times. Most of the expense was replacement parts from Toro at 10 time the real cost. I use it only for Fire Ant applications. I started only using it on very large properties. Now I am using it on 1/4 acre lots that don't have a lot of junk to work around. Yes a Z turn would be better on small properties but they don't have the volume I want.

The machine came with a 20 ft boom system that rusted away a long time ago. I designed the rebuild as a boom-less sprayer that puts out 3 gallon a thousand @ 4 MPH which is the least it takes to kill Fire Ants. I can spray 15 ft wide or 5 ft on either side on the 5 ft wide machine. Pump is rated at 22 GPM @ 1000 RPM and I am running it 10% higher at just over 1100 RPM.

I actually have One very large account that has paid for this machine. Every where else I use it is gravy. Yes I can low ball large properties and still make good money sitting on my butt.

This picture was taken when I was filling the sprayer while doing a 120 x 120 corner lot in a Middle class neighborhood with out irrigation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0117.jpg

Duekster
08-04-2012, 02:01 PM
How about some different angles . front and side?

Thanks

Ric
08-04-2012, 02:47 PM

Sorry I was too lazy to take it out of the covered add on to my barn. So here are some side view pictures only. The front has a Reese receiver and takes a Herd Bait Spreader or Lesco Truckster. I also have a 100 ft 3/8 hose reel the fits the Reese receiver. The The Boom-Less Sprayer works off a 12 V solenoid, the switch is on the dash board.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0121.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0120.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0122.jpg

None of the Original Sprayer parts are used or on the machine. The original design was for a much lower volume calibration. I wish I had taken a picture before the Restoration was started. This unit looked like it belonged in a Junk Yard crusher. I won't take credit for the restoration, My mechanic and good friend did most of the work in a Trade out deal. I feel bad about that deal because my buddy got the raw end. But we are good and made up the differences on other deals.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Ric
08-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for sharing.

No problem, It is a real money maker on large properties and All I have to do is sit and drive. I end up using more material with this unit but the time and labor savings makes up for it. The Ric-A-Green is a Walker Lawn Mower with a small boom and spreader. It only does a Gallon a thousand which is not enough for Fire Ants, Fleas,Ticks or Chinch bugs Etc. I think the next project might be to convert the Ric-A-Green into the Ant-A-Kill by adding a bigger pump to the Blade PTO.

BTW in the first picture I am re-filling the Sprayer tank. I am still not happy with the transfer time.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
No problem, It is a real money maker on large properties and All I have to do is sit and drive. I end up using more material with this unit but the time and labor savings makes up for it. The Ric-A-Green is a Walker Lawn Mower with a small boom and spreader. It only does a Gallon a thousand which is not enough for Fire Ants, Fleas,Ticks or Chinch bugs Etc. I think the next project might be to convert the Ric-A-Green into the Ant-A-Kill by adding a bigger pump to the Blade PTO.

BTW in the first picture I am re-filling the Sprayer tank. I am still not happy with the transfer time.

I gathered that there was a xfer in the first picture. Low volume / K is a problem for many riders. I have few properties where this would help.
Thinking of some sort of ATV arrangement with a boom when I see that.

I am more of a squirt and fert guy. I spot insects as needed on shrubs ( no rider LOL) but I get some request for Fire Ants then there are grubs and mole crickets but I run dry on those as needed.

WestGaPineStraw
08-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Nice Ric!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I gathered that there was a xfer in the first picture. Low volume / K is a problem for many riders. I have few properties where this would help.
Thinking of some sort of ATV arrangement with a boom when I see that.

I am more of a squirt and fert guy. I spot insects as needed on shrubs ( no rider LOL) but I get some request for Fire Ants then there are grubs and mole crickets but I run dry on those as needed.

I looked into ATV. They are great for spreading Ant Baits but no good for volume spraying. First point is speed control for calibration. ATV speed can vary and a Governor or speed control is needed. Next they can't hold or haul a the volume needed. I had a older 5 wheel Mule that I was using. It could haul the water weight and worked good until it just plain wore out.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I looked into ATV. They are great for spreading Ant Baits but no good for volume spraying. First point is speed control for calibration. ATV speed can vary and a Governor or speed control is needed. Next they can't hold or haul a the volume needed. I had a older 5 wheel Mule that I was using. It could haul the water weight and worked good until it just plain wore out.

So you have a PTO and it controls the flow with the ground speed?

Ric
08-04-2012, 07:14 PM
So you have a PTO and it controls the flow with the ground speed?

Part of my calibration was to turn down the engine governor so 1st gear ran slow enough to get the Gallons per thousand I wanted. I have a speedometer but My GPS was more actuate. After establishing a constant ground speed I then did the math of the size pump and nozzles I needed. Engine speed off the PTO side of the engine was geared down to match the slower required Pump RPM. Of course I fudged in over kill when doing the math. The Engine Governor will allow some tweaking but I never had to use it to get the calibration I wanted. The pressure release valve does a nice job of tweaking the Flow.

The GPM Flow is constant regardless of Ground Speed. I wasn't about to install a computer system for kill insects. True Herbicides might be a problem particularly on smaller yard where you would be constantly slowing and turning. Also liquid Fert might stripe the same way. But as a Ant, Flea, Tick, Chinch bug killer it works super great.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 07:28 PM
True Herbicides might be a problem particularly on smaller yard where you would be constantly slowing and turning. Also liquid Fert might stripe the same way. But as a Ant, Flea, Tick, Chinch bug killer it works super great.

Point taken. Full of nugets of info.

humble1
08-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Nice job Ric, with all that tank, have you thought of putting lettering on the side, Fire Ant Spraying by RIC !
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Nice job Ric, with all that tank, have you thought of putting lettering on the side, Fire Ant Spraying by RIC !
Posted via Mobile Device

Good Idea since technology caught up to me and my Advertisement. My Phone number is 555-ANTS (2687) but that is only on a Land Line. Everyone is switching to Cell Phone with Text Messaging Key boards. Now the ANTS means nothing and is more confusion than valuable.

The last 4 numbers on my Cell Phone are the same and I will be using that number. It is easy to remember, which was the Idea of 555-ANTS.

BTW The trailer I use has signs as well as the Truck. But it never hurts to put signs on the sprayer.

KrayzKajun
08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
nice work Ric. I still need to pm Brad my email, so he can send it to you. ive been studying my butt off for the Aquatic certification.

Ric
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
nice work Ric. I still need to pm Brad my email, so he can send it to you. ive been studying my butt off for the Aquatic certification.

I forgot about that, it was a while back. Yes I will send you links to Aquatic Video training films and CEUs. It is a lot easier to sit and watch a video than read a book. This Videos are offered by U of F and Georgia A & M so they are educational and interesting to watch.

I just added a second Trolling motor to my Spray boat. I use the front smaller trolling motor to spray just like fishing a bank line. The Bigger motor on the back lets me load the trailer easier. The smaller ponds don't want gasoline engines and the trolling motors work great. The battery last several days with out recharging and I run the spray pump with it also. I plan to add a solar charger for $ 29.00 from tractor supply.

Here in Florida there is a big need for proper Retention Pond Management and a nice up sell for mowing companies. The basic Limited ornamental pesticide License would cover any GUP Aquatic pesticide application. However a little education on retention ponds is needed to do it right. Total weed kill is not desirable because these plants offer filtration of the water. Some Condos and Commercial property will require a Aquatic Certification but the state.

gregory
08-07-2012, 09:40 PM
nice looking set up ric...

DLCS
08-08-2012, 07:40 AM
I forgot about that, it was a while back. Yes I will send you links to Aquatic Video training films and CEUs. It is a lot easier to sit and watch a video than read a book. This Videos are offered by U of F and Georgia A & M so they are educational and interesting to watch.

I just added a second Trolling motor to my Spray boat. I use the front smaller trolling motor to spray just like fishing a bank line. The Bigger motor on the back lets me load the trailer easier. The smaller ponds don't want gasoline engines and the trolling motors work great. The battery last several days with out recharging and I run the spray pump with it also. I plan to add a solar charger for $ 29.00 from tractor supply.

Here in Florida there is a big need for proper Retention Pond Management and a nice up sell for mowing companies. The basic Limited ornamental pesticide License would cover any GUP Aquatic pesticide application. However a little education on retention ponds is needed to do it right. Total weed kill is not desirable because these plants offer filtration of the water. Some Condos and Commercial property will require a Aquatic Certification but the state.

Can you send me a link to those videos too? I have always considered aquatic pesticide management as there is no one near me that is licensed for it but I have had people ask for it over the years. I'm curently looking for reading material or some kind of training books for aquatics so where do I start?

Duekster
08-08-2012, 07:46 AM

I think I saw you on Gator boys :D

Ric
08-08-2012, 11:39 AM
I think I saw you on Gator boys :D

This picture is a few years old and I posted it here several times. I am still listed as a Nuances Wildlife Trapper and do poisonous snakes as well. But I gave up my Gator License almost 10 years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/Gator.bmp

DUSTYCEDAR
08-09-2012, 07:56 PM
show offfffffffffffffffffffffff
you had hair and you could see your feet lol

Weekend cut easymoney
08-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Good Idea since technology caught up to me and my Advertisement. My Phone number is 555-ANTS (2687) but that is only on a Land Line. Everyone is switching to Cell Phone with Text Messaging Key boards. Now the ANTS means nothing and is more confusion than valuable.

The last 4 numbers on my Cell Phone are the same and I will be using that number. It is easy to remember, which was the Idea of 555-ANTS.

BTW The trailer I use has signs as well as the Truck. But it never hurts to put signs on the sprayer.

looks really good--how about stepping up a notch and painting it to look like a big ant...you might feel kinda nutty using it, but people would be talking about you all the time...free advertising-:laugh:

Duekster
08-09-2012, 08:59 PM
looks really good--how about stepping up a notch and painting it to look like a big ant...you might feel kinda nutty using it, but people would be talking about you all the time...free advertising-:laugh:

Angry Ant is more like it. :drinkup:

Weekend cut easymoney
08-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Angry Ant is more like it. :drinkup:

with a big dollar sign coming out the backend-

cgaengineer
08-09-2012, 09:19 PM
That's Ric's wheelchair with a tank full of prune juice ;)

Just messing with you you cantankerous old codger!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-09-2012, 10:16 PM
show offfffffffffffffffffffffff
you had hair and you could see your feet lol

You hit a real sore spot with me. I don't look anything like the People of WalMart.

Stepping out of the shower this morning My scales said 135 pounds. I then put on my 29 inch waist Cargo Pants and ran a wash cloth through my Salt & Pepper Crew cut. I was a Gymnast and practiced Marshal arts as a young man. At 71 yr old I can still do a 5 minute mile. I have posted Pictures of My daughter who was our County Beauty Queen. She didn't get all her good looks from her Mother.

I hate Fat A$$ people and make fun of their sloppy appearance and lack of personal pride. If you don't think Fat A$$ people are slower and dumber, Watch a supermarket check out line with two different body type clerks. The Fat one is always slower. From Years of running a LCO and Nursery I tried hiring Fat People because employees were in short supply. The Fat ones can't hack it and I have never seen a Fat person who can work outside in the heat effectively.