PDA

View Full Version : An Idea who's time has come

Ric
08-04-2012, 01:46 PM

This unit has been around my town for a while and I finally got a picture of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0119.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0118.jpg

Yes this is an older setup and falling apart, but is still a great one. I think the Truck makers are missing a bet by not offering something like this in a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE WITH A LOWER DECK. Any number of set ups could be made from an enclosed van to a equipment hauler.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 01:51 PM
I have seen a few of these two. Including a smaller Ranger set up.

I think they are great for a smaller residential set up. No idea who made the bed.

Ric
08-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I have seen a few of these two. Including a smaller Ranger set up.

I think they are great for a smaller residential set up. No idea who made the bed.

Yep Just Mo used the same bed on Rangers and he is in Dallas.

Years ago I saw a Tornado Cadillac (front wheel drive) married to a Horse Trailer and body molded together from the frame on up. I never forgot that and have often wondered why Detroit never offered a Low boy flat bed type truck. I am talking the bed as low as the normal Lawn Trailer.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Yep Just Mo used the same bed on Rangers and he is in Dallas.

Years ago I saw a Tornado Cadillac (front wheel drive) married to a Horse Trailer and body molded together from the frame on up. I never forgot that and have often wondered why Detroit never offered a Low boy flat bed type truck. I am talking the bed as low as the normal Lawn Trailer.

You need to be over the wheels to get the width

easy-lift guy
08-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Like the name on the truck door "creative", I give an A from creative stand point.
From a practical or commercial stand point I would have to give an F. I would consider the inability to transport debrie from one job to another a major reason why this concept would not have any commercial application.
easy-lift guy

Duekster
08-04-2012, 02:57 PM
I have seen better made units but the sides should be higher for utility.

Ric
08-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Like the name on the truck door "creative", I give an A from creative stand point.
From a practical or commercial stand point I would have to give an F. I would consider the inability to transport debris from one job to another a major reason why this concept would not have any commercial application.
easy-lift guy

Easy Lift

Tell that to "Just Mow" of Dallas Texas and then do a search both here and on the net. Just Mow is one of the biggest Lawn cutter in the Dallas area and he uses many ranger trucks with these beds. Hauling Debris is not a problem in most cities because waste management takes care of it. Besides this is not a Full service set up. It is a mow and go set up that can be more profitable than full service if done correctly. First and most import is the type of accounts that can be serviced with this equipment carrier that can be parked in any driveway unlike a Trailer. This opens a special market on very busy streets. A higher price can be charged because other can't park close enough with their trailers etc.

As for the Wheel height effecting the bed height. You don't have to have 35 inch tires on the rear of a front wheel drive truck. Smaller tire design can give both a lower deck and support.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I think J-Rod used to make these units custom but they got bought out recently.
I do not know of anyone that makes them.

I do think it is a perfect set up for a Residential / light Commercial mow blow and go operation.

I would like to get where I have a these crews and a utility crew for bed clean up and trimming with a different set up.

We mulch grass so the mowing crew does not pick up much debris. Commerical accounts would get a 14" NPR box truck.

easy-lift guy
08-04-2012, 03:22 PM
That is fine for Dallas, Texas. My company offers full service maintenance so the need to remove all debrie quickly and efficiently is foremost. The additional time spent bundling or bagging material to be removed at a later date by another company has Zero curb appeal here in SW Florida. As far as " mow and go" companies are concerned, to each their own. Your suggestion that a higher price can be charged by parking in a customers driveway instead of on the street is novel but with the market being saturated and prices going lower for "mow and go" customers I suspect not true. I would never park in my customers drive way from a common sence stand point. When I see pickup trucks configured in the same manner as shown in the photograph at some of the show I vend my products at, than I will believe it is commercially viable.
easy-lift guy

Ric
08-04-2012, 03:38 PM
That is fine for Dallas, Texas. My company offers full service maintenance so the need to remove all debrie quickly and efficiently is foremost. The additional time spent bundling or bagging material to be removed at a later date by another company has Zero curb appeal here in SW Florida. As far as " mow and go" companies are concerned, to each their own. Your suggestion that a higher price can be charged by parking in a customers driveway instead of on the street is novel but with the market being saturated and prices going lower for "mow and go" customers I suspect not true. I would never park in my customers drive way from a common sence stand point. When I see pickup trucks configured in the same manner as shown in the photograph at some of the show I vend my products at, than I will believe it is commercially viable.
easy-lift guy

I never said this was the Ideal equipment for your operation. But don't knock a man's set up until you have Mowed a mile in his shoes.

As far as your Market goes, This might be a viable method on some parts of Venice Island with the busier streets. At one time I insisted on doing only 1st class work. But after many years in this business I became more Pragmatic and learning Primo work takes primo time and expense that Primo Customer won't pay full price for. There is more money and less loyalty in Mow & Go work.

easy-lift guy
08-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I did give the pictured rig an A for being creative. Business is not what it use to be in Venice say 20 years ago. I have had to adjust my types of services offered but I don't believe I could ever be a mow and go knowing there is so much more that can be done
before I can say the job is done.
easy-lift guy

Duekster
08-04-2012, 03:59 PM
I did give the pictured rig an A for being creative. Business is not what it use to be in Venice say 20 years ago. I have had to adjust my types of services offered but I don't believe I could ever be a mow and go knowing there is so much more that can be done
before I can say the job is done.
easy-lift guy

It's called have a specialty rig. You can have two or three of these and one full service rig for the perodic services. That would be my plan.

easy-lift guy
08-04-2012, 04:09 PM
It's called have a specialty rig. You can have two or three of these and one full service rig for the perodic services. That would be my plan.

I like that plan. Like having a mowing and pruning division.
easy-lift guy

Duekster
08-04-2012, 04:13 PM
I like that plan. Like having a mowing and pruning division.
easy-lift guy

Moving that direction as fast as I can. Again, I would not send this rig to a large commercial account either. I would like a box truck.

The truck trailer rig is around 40 feet long. I could back up 2 NPR's in the same space in the shop.

Del9175
08-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I have a 2010 350 dually with this set up. Their are quite a few fabrication shops that are building these.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnagain
08-04-2012, 04:53 PM
If you had a dually with the inner tires removed then you could get a wider deck mounted on the frame that would sit much lower than one mounted above the tires. Lower to the ground could use a shorter gate and possibly make the bed longer to get 2 ztr's turned sideways.

jvanvliet
08-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Stupid rig....

Duekster
08-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Stupid rig....

I agree this one is not the best set up but I have seen similar designs with good layouts. I do not think they are putting Z on them but 36" WB too.

Some cages and tool rakes as well would go a long ways. If you put some stakes on the sides you could deliver some mulch or rock with it was well like a stake truck.

I see a lot of stake trucks and flat beds in the NE.

Ric
08-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Stupid rig....

Look who is talking.

I never said this particular rig was A 1. I only post the picture as a sample of what could be done. I don't cut grass or trimm Green bushes, Only hairy ones. So this rig wouldn't work for me.

mjlcare2
08-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Not for me or my company but to each his own.. Too bad he doesn't put a little effort into the appearance of his equipment/truck.. having a nice clean rig goes a long way with your customers.

somebody said something about taking the inner tires off the dually.. why buy the dually then.. blah blah blah.. more width for a bed.. you gotta have something in there otherwise it will be a single tire unit just like the non dually

ed2hess
08-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Not for me or my company but to each his own.. Too bad he doesn't put a little effort into the appearance of his equipment/truck.. having a nice clean rig goes a long way with your customers.

In Texas there are more rigs that look like that then there are the nice fancy setups. A nice rig is a turn off to people they assume you will be the high bidder. It is all about price and doing a quality job.

Florida Gardener
08-05-2012, 12:48 AM
In Texas there are more rigs that look like that then there are the nice fancy setups. A nice rig is a turn off to people they assume you will be the high bidder. It is all about price and doing a quality job.

Good thing I don't live near you. People around here don't want a beat up truck with oil leaks and looking like it came from a junkyard. There's a reason why people pay more for a clean appearance and a quality job. Companies that drive setups like that don't provide that. They are scrapping for the bottom feeders.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
08-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Look who is talking.

I never said this particular rig was A 1. I only post the picture as a sample of what could be done. I don't cut grass or trimm Green bushes, Only hairy ones. So this rig wouldn't work for me.

Then why say:

"An Idea who's time has come" :dizzy:

I've seen rigs like this and on box trucks as well; it's an insane and unsafe setup, way too much top side and especially dangerous when that ramp gets a little slippery. Watched a guy slip down the ramp on his mower just about out of control.

Not for me... IMO it's a stupid setup.

jvanvliet
08-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Good thing I don't live near you. People around here don't want a beat up truck with oil leaks and looking like it came from a junkyard. There's a reason why people pay more for a clean appearance and a quality job. Companies that drive setups like that don't provide that. They are scrapping for the bottom feeders.
Posted via Mobile Device

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

What you said; clean rig, clean shirts, clean equipment that's well maintained and documented English speaking crews!

Duekster
08-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I think a professional appearance is needed for sure.

My comments are more about the design. Removing the bed and installing a dove tail flat bed configured for a landscape service.

Florida Gardener
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I think a professional appearance is needed for sure.

My comments are more about the design. Removing the bed and installing a dove tail flat bed configured for a landscape service.
I wasn't referring to what you wrote....
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I wasn't referring to what you wrote....
Posted via Mobile Device

I know. Just adding to the converstation.
Personally, I like box trucks better but that would be hard to do in a PU chasis.

I am getting to where I like the trailer less and less but it will always have it's place too.

South Florida Lawns
08-05-2012, 11:02 AM
That sure beats pulling a trailer! Especially in Florida subdivisions with small streets and cul-de-sac's.

If that were my setup I'd do fold down mesh sides for pallets and a big debris box up from for trimmings and what not. Maybe even aluminum.

Ric you thinking of starting a fab shop? If so I'll take 2.

williams lcm
08-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Del 9175 - how does it work for you on your f350. I was planning on get one put on my 2001 f350 dually. You probably can only put 1 zero trun on ther right? How does it handle weight wise?

stickleylawncare
08-05-2012, 11:09 AM
That sure beats pulling a trailer! Especially in Florida subdivisions with small streets and cul-de-sac's.

I can see the usefulness of a setup of similar to that as well. There are several streets here with 'no parking' rules and the houses are all on long, narrow lots that make trailers a complete pain in the ass. Having a small vehicle like this to zip in and out of those places would be awesome.

Ric
08-05-2012, 11:42 AM

If that were my setup I'd do fold down mesh sides for pallets and a big debris box up from for trimmings and what not. Maybe even aluminum.

Ric you thinking of starting a fab shop? If so I'll take 2.

I am an Equipment freak and would love to of had a Fab shop. Typical of the Good Old Red Neck Boy I have a ton of formerly utilized parts. You might call it JUNK.

I no longer have a desire to have employees or grow a big company. But from a management man power point of view these smaller Mow & Go trucks can be run by less experienced people. This leave more experiences people to do Landscape installs and Trimming. Brick pavers are the popular thing now and at $ 5.00 a sq ft installed have a nice profit margin etc. Economic slow down this business plan allows the least experienced employee to be laid off while only moving a good man back to mowing.

mjlcare2
08-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Del 9175 - how does it work for you on your f350. I was planning on get one put on my 2001 f350 dually. You probably can only put 1 zero trun on ther right? How does it handle weight wise?

handle the weight? its an F350.. payload is somewhere 4500-6000lbs.. whats a z turn weight these days.. a little over a 1000..

I also glad I don't live where Ed Hess lives in Texas.. We clean our trucks/equipment weekly, paint them yearly and fix whats broke.. personal pet peeve I guess.. invest in your company and it will return in profits

Florida Gardener
08-05-2012, 03:40 PM
handle the weight? its an F350.. payload is somewhere 4500-6000lbs.. whats a z turn weight these days.. a little over a 1000..

I also glad I don't live where Ed Hess lives in Texas.. We clean our trucks/equipment weekly, paint them yearly and fix whats broke.. personal pet peeve I guess.. invest in your company and it will return in profits
That seems to be the image of his company as well...I have found that people will pay more for quality and image...not everyone is destitute in this economy. Show up with a beat up crappy truck and you think people want to pay more?
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
That seems to be the image of his company as well...I have found that people will pay more for quality and image...not everyone is destitute in this economy. Show up with a beat up crappy truck and you think people want to pay more?
Posted via Mobile Device

I probably gave the wrong impression most of the big companies have nice stuff. And this is a big city so we don't operate much in the high end sections We are in the working class section where people live on a living wage:laugh

Florida Gardener
08-06-2012, 11:12 PM
I probably gave the wrong impression most of the big companies have nice stuff. And this is a big city so we don't operate much in the high end sections We are in the working class section where people live on a living wage:laugh
Gotchya. We have a mixed bag of people here. We have über wealthy people, people that work and take in 6 plus figures a year all the way down to the average working stiff.
Posted via Mobile Device

mjlcare2
08-06-2012, 11:13 PM
We assumed you were better than that Ed and I was taking it the wrong way!
haha everybody likes nice stuff.

Duekster
08-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I have considered using a F 550 so you can get a 10 foot flat and a dove tail on the truck. Others say the NPR is a better engine chassis for this purpose.

For light residential however I think you could use a smaller light duty truck if you just need a 36 WB, a 21, and trimmers.

Ric
08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I have considered using a F 550 so you can get a 10 foot flat and a dove tail on the truck. Others say the NPR is a better engine chassis for this purpose.

For light residential however I think you could use a smaller light duty truck if you just need a 36 WB, a 21, and trimmers.

The purpose of posting this picture was the smaller size and versatility of that size. Most larger companies will have a shrub trim crew. The Idea of this smaller unit is to get in and out of a Mow & Go quickly. This truck's tail gate wasn't spring loaded but Mine would be. I would also have better Weed Eater racks etc. Anything to make the job easier & quicker.

IMHO in today's economy Mow & Go can be 3 times more profitable than Full service. Down side is Customer loyality and possible slower pay. However Most all my working class customers pay quicker than the upscale customer.

Florida Gardener
08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
The purpose of posting this picture was the smaller size and versatility of that size. Most larger companies will have a shrub trim crew. The Idea of this smaller unit is to get in and out of a Mow & Go quickly. This truck's tail gate wasn't spring loaded but Mine would be. I would also have better Weed Eater racks etc. Anything to make the job easier & quicker.

IMHO in today's economy Mow & Go can be 3 times more profitable than Full service. Down side is Customer loyality and possible slower pay. However Most all my working class customers pay quicker than the upscale customer.
Not for me...my highest payers pay right away where the lower ones pay last...just saying for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

williams lcm
08-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Del----- Someone told me that a f350 will old 3000lbs. If you have a zero turn like mine at 1400lbs and all the eqipment you need to get the job done Weed eater,gas,egders ect. It can get kinda heavy . If i could fit 2 of my mowers on my f350 that would be great.

Duekster
08-07-2012, 08:46 PM

That would be the proper use Ric. Residental units do not bring full income IMHO so you have to look at options.

mjlcare2
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
The specs on my 06 f350 DRW is 5800 payload

Weekend cut easymoney
08-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I never said this was the Ideal equipment for your operation. But don't knock a man's set up until you have Mowed a mile in his shoes.

As far as your Market goes, This might be a viable method on some parts of Venice Island with the busier streets. At one time I insisted on doing only 1st class work. But after many years in this business I became more Pragmatic and learning Primo work takes primo time and expense that Primo Customer won't pay full price for. There is more money and less loyalty in Mow & Go work.

very true about mow and go--I like the regular work associated with this and growing your business si not as difficult due to lesser skill requirements--the market here for high end homes is good, full service, but everyone is looking for a deal and it is ever so much more competative with every guy with a pickup offering service--also notice every guy who works for a company, goes out on the weekends as well-as well as construction guys...
commercial--not many will pay high prices...too competative-

Ric
08-08-2012, 12:40 AM
very true about mow and go--I like the regular work associated with this and growing your business si not as difficult due to lesser skill requirements--the market here for high end homes is good, full service, but everyone is looking for a deal and it is ever so much more competative with every guy with a pickup offering service--also notice every guy who works for a company, goes out on the weekends as well-as well as construction guys...
commercial--not many will pay high prices...too competative-

Week End

Mow & Go customers are not going to call you back because you missed a weed. We are talking a totally different attitude and Expectation by the customer.

Quick Story, I got a call today for inside Pest control by the House watcher. I did this house maybe 6 or 8 months ago. These people have a condo in Dubai as well as other homes around the world. But this house had a Porsch sedan, Lexus and Electric Smart car parked in the garage that is bigger than my house. BTW they have not been in town this March. When I finished treating the house I ask how the homeowner wanted to pay. Why the Charge the House watcher ask. The Homeowner told them the first $ 75 I charge them 1/2 a year ago was for a whole year service guarantee. The richer they are the more out of touch with working people and their prices IMHO.

zturncutter
08-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Week End

Mow & Go customers are not going to call you back because you missed a weed. We are talking a totally different attitude and Expectation by the customer.

Quick Story, I got a call today for inside Pest control by the House watcher. I did this house maybe 6 or 8 months ago. These people have a condo in Dubai as well as other homes around the world. But this house had a Porsch sedan, Lexus and Electric Smart car parked in the garage that is bigger than my house. BTW they have not been in town this March. When I finished treating the house I ask how the homeowner wanted to pay. Why the Charge the House watcher ask. The Homeowner told them the first $ 75 I charge them 1/2 a year ago was for a whole year service guarantee. The richer they are the more out of touch with working people and their prices IMHO.

I agree with you Ric many are out of touch but not all. I got an e-mail yesterday from a customer who has several homes including a very nice home that I take care of right on the bend of the river. The husband has been having medical issues and they have sold the home. Every April they pay for the year in advance, no discount, and I e-mail an invoice and they pay by credit card for any extras that might come up. She thanked me for our service and said to keep the credit balance as a thank you. I think we all just need to stay positive and keep an open mind about customers, equipment set ups and all aspects of our business, there is always something to learn.

Ric
08-08-2012, 11:05 AM
I agree with you Ric many are out of touch but not all. I got an e-mail yesterday from a customer who has several homes including a very nice home that I take care of right on the bend of the river. The husband has been having medical issues and they have sold the home. Every April they pay for the year in advance, no discount, and I e-mail an invoice and they pay by credit card for any extras that might come up. She thanked me for our service and said to keep the credit balance as a thank you. I think we all just need to stay positive and keep an open mind about customers, equipment set ups and all aspects of our business, there is always something to learn.

For Years I chased the PITA customers who wanted the perfect yard. I spend a small fortune on chemicals and I have a barn full of different chemicals. While I was charging Top Dollar I was also spending Top Dollar for all the BEST products. I recognize now that part of the Perfect work syndrome was my Ego talking. I think that is human nature to want to be competitive.

Today I am spraying Arena on a few yards at a Cost of $ 4.50 a thousand. For that same $ 4.50 I can kill an acre of Fire Ants and have 10 time less hassle with the customer. I still have More L&O than Ants customer but I am working at getting out of L&O and just doing Ants or My Mow & Go as a CPO. I keep the same amount of Money from each Ants customer as I do from an L&O customer, only I charge the Ant customer a lot less. Oh and Ant Spraying takes less time and is IMHO easier. I could go on about L&O I use a big Cab Over and Ants I only use a pick up truck and the related costs etc etc. But Bottom line is I am a Mow & Go guy now and proud of it.

Weekend cut easymoney
08-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Week End

I musthave not clarified....we focus on HOA, commercial, hotels etc, full serivice...but we cut our teeth for about 15-18 years on residential mow and go (mostly older folks)...now, besides our commercial, we do about 100 residential homes and my main focus is on the professional customer who is tech oriented and likes to use email --hence most customers don't ever see our guys, when the yare there doing residential...we are in and out in 10-15 minutes, no hassle--

tjlco
08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Del----- Someone told me that a f350 will old 3000lbs. If you have a zero turn like mine at 1400lbs and all the eqipment you need to get the job done Weed eater,gas,egders ect. It can get kinda heavy . If i could fit 2 of my mowers on my f350 that would be great.

One of my trucks is a 2000 f350 dually. The bed is wide enough that I fit a 36 stander, 52 stander, next to each other. 61 scag v-ride behind them. 3 blowers, 2 edgers, 2 whips, 2 hedge sheers all on racks on the body. It works well for us, but my next one will be a van body with an enclosed box. I hate when my stuff gets wet. This year I did ad 2 leaf springs to each side, along with re arching the originals. And added heavier shocks with springs over them. Thought it would help it handle better. (it didn't) and now it's about 4 inches higher in the back......so the tailgate is steeper. I spray the tailgate with the spray bedliner stuff on it twice a year so it keeps the grip.

Weekend cut easymoney
08-10-2012, 09:52 AM
here was one that looked a little better --mow and go--one guy, one yard 30 minutes...$35 bucks...prob. no taxes or insurance...but this is the competition-

mjlcare2
08-12-2012, 10:41 PM
looks like somebody is asking to get their blowers yanked..

DMlandscaping
08-13-2012, 08:54 PM
looks like somebody is asking to get their blowers yanked..

I totally agree. That rig may appeal to the lowball customers, but if you want to make money, the people with the money to pay a "real" service wouldn't want to have that rig seen in their vicinity. Presentation is worth $. Period. Not that our new rig is anything fancy, but it looks good enough sitting in front of a million dollar home.

Florida Gardener
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
I totally agree. That rig may appeal to the lowball customers, but if you want to make money, the people with the money to pay a "real" service wouldn't want to have that rig seen in their vicinity. Presentation is worth $. Period. Not that our new rig is anything fancy, but it looks good enough sitting in front of a million dollar home.
It doesn't have to be a brand new 50-K rig. Like you said, clean and presentable. Appearance goes a long way with people. You pull up in a best up truck leaking oil, the people probably aren't going to be willing to pay you a whole lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
08-13-2012, 09:16 PM
It doesn't have to be a brand new 50-K rig. Like you said, clean and presentable. Appearance goes a long way with people. You pull up in a best up truck leaking oil, the people probably aren't going to be willing to pay you a whole lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, exactly my point. Being in south Florida, I've found the market to be way different than in the west central part. there seems to be less "cheezy" companies down here. I could be wrong, but we'll see......

Florida Gardener
08-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Yes, exactly my point. Being in south Florida, I've found the market to be way different than in the west central part. there seems to be less "cheezy" companies down here. I could be wrong, but we'll see......

Where in s fl are you??
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Where in s fl are you??
Posted via Mobile Device

Our Palm Beach County business is located in Boynton Beach, but our equipment is in Wellington. We're Focusing our advertising in Wellington and Royal Palm Beach for the time being. As we grow (hopefully) we will try to service the whole Palm Beach County area, and get a couple of commercial rigs at work. That's obviously going to take some time, so for now we're focusing on mainly high end residential in this area. The market down here is (in my opinion) way different than the Tampa area. Up in central Fl , we actually have cold weather and freezes. Down here, they seem to be fairly rare. You wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference, but we're still learning.

Florida Gardener
08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Our Palm Beach County business is located in Boynton Beach, but our equipment is in Wellington. We're Focusing our advertising in Wellington and Royal Palm Beach for the time being. As we grow (hopefully) we will try to service the whole Palm Beach County area, and get a couple of commercial rigs at work. That's obviously going to take some time, so for now we're focusing on mainly high end residential in this area. The market down here is (in my opinion) way different than the Tampa area. Up in central Fl , we actually have cold weather and freezes. Down here, they seem to be fairly rare. You wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference, but we're still learning.

I had an account in Wellington I lost cause the owner thought it was too much...be careful out there...lot of lowballing and cheapos. What's your companies name?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-13-2012, 10:49 PM

DM

You and many members here have what I call the Willie Sutton syndrome. Willie Sutton was a famous bank robber who was ask why he robbed banks. His answer was BECAUSE THAT WHERE THE MONEY IS. My point is you think the only way to make it in the Green Industry is to go after the Upscale full service customers.

If you re-read Zturncutter's and my earlier post in this thread, We discuss making great money and less stress in working class markets. I know Zturncutter, he lives about 8 miles from me. He and I have both been in the green industry for many moons. We both have been there and done that on the Upscale High dollar homes with the Million Dollar Boat tied to the dock in the back yard. But after year of busting our hump for the rich we realize there is just as much if not more money in Mow & Go. The point is, there is more than one way to skin the cat. Don't knock the equipment because it has some rust. A little Paint and Polish and this equipment is good to go and a very possible money maker with the right Business plan.

zturncutter
08-13-2012, 11:10 PM
DM

You and many members here have what I call the Willie Sutton syndrome. Willie Sutton was a famous bank robber who was ask why he robbed banks. His answer was BECAUSE THAT WHERE THE MONEY IS. My point is you think the only way to make it in the Green Industry is to go after the Upscale full service customers.

If you re-read Zturncutter's and my earlier post in this thread, We discuss making great money and less stress in working class markets. I know Zturncutter, he lives about 8 miles from me. He and I have both been in the green industry for many moons. We both have been there and done that on the Upscale High dollar homes with the Million Dollar Boat tied to the dock in the back yard. But after year of busting our hump for the rich we realize there is just as much if not more money in Mow & Go. The point is, there is more than one way to skin the cat. Don't knock the equipment because it has some rust. A little Paint and Polish and this equipment is good to go and a very possible money maker with the right Business plan.

Ric,

Please stop posting so much, some of these guys may start to listen. I like the competition just the way it is :waving:

Florida Gardener
08-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Ric, I don't disagree with what you said. However, it is not all about the $$ for me. I take a lot of pride and doing something a little different than just mow and go. I def. don't want to be another grass cutter. You can make money both ways. The big companies around here who make the big money aren't mow and go either....
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
08-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Ric, I don't disagree with what you said. However, it is not all about the $$ for me. I take a lot of pride and doing something a little different than just mow and go. I def. don't want to be another grass cutter. You can make money both ways. The big companies around here who make the big money aren't mow and go either....
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually I have commercial detail type accounts as well as ranches and mow and go, very carefully picked out for profit. Many Big companies aren't showing the PROFIT you think they are. Many years ago I worked for a company that was mostly landscape install, I was one of two salesman/designers that worked on commission.Two years before they went under we hit 1.5 Mil in sales, appearances can be very decieving.

DMlandscaping
08-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Again, I agree with diamondlandscaping. I'm new to this forum, but NOT new to forums, so online "debates" don't interest me in the least. If you just want to be a mow-n-go, then so be it. We have never been "just" that, and we have our sights set a little higher in S. FL. too. That plan could fail, but it won't be because we didn't try. It is what it is. Prepare for failure, and celebrate the victory! LOL!

Florida Gardener
08-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Actually I have commercial detail type accounts as well as ranches and mow and go, very carefully picked out for profit. Many Big companies aren't showing the PROFIT you think they are. Many years ago I worked for a company that was mostly landscape install, I was one of two salesman/designers that worked on commission.Two years before they went under we hit 1.5 Mil in sales, appearances can be very decieving.
The companies I'm talking of have been around for at least 15 years...one of them 32...sure, looks can be deceiving, but there is a reason these companies ONLY work in one area...it is very profitable. How big are the ranches you maintain??
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
08-14-2012, 12:04 AM
One of the ranches was over 50 square miles, some of it has been sold off over the last several years. We have to drive 3 miles across the property to mow the 11.5 acres that we maintain. Honestly don't know the current size of the property.

Florida Gardener
08-14-2012, 12:17 AM
One of the ranches was over 50 square miles, some of it has been sold off over the last several years. We have to drive 3 miles across the property to mow the 11.5 acres that we maintain. Honestly don't know the current size of the property.
Damn...that's nice...is it nice $$??? I'd love to get a property like that here.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Yes it is :clapping: .

Weekend cut easymoney
08-14-2012, 09:26 AM
DM

Agree with above--over 30 years in the business--perfection is fine as long as you are being compensated for it-
- the higher the price, the higher the stress and demands and I have'nt been able to be able to justify the difference-
--seems like the industry is trending toward people becoming more thrify, not less
I see just as many rusty, hobbled up riggs taking care of commercial, and residential as I see slick riggs-
-most people here don't come outside and want to see what's happening-- they want you to do the work and get outta dodge so they can go on living their lives with the least disruption-
more power to you for the high end customers--not my bag

Ric
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Agree with above--over 30 years in the business--perfection is fine as long as you are being compensated for it-
- the higher the price, the higher the stress and demands and I have'nt been able to be able to justify the difference-
--seems like the industry is trending toward people becoming more thrify, not less
I see just as many rusty, hobbled up riggs taking care of commercial, and residential as I see slick riggs-
-most people here don't come outside and want to see what's happening-- they want you to do the work and get outta dodge so they can go on living their lives with the least disruption-
more power to you for the high end customers--not my bag

IMHO It is an EGO thing. We all want to be the best. Then reality finally set in. Took a few years. My Numbers are a lot lower but I have more jingle in my pocket now. My expenses are a lot lower and my Bottom line is fine. I realize now because I was charging big money I was spending more time on details. I was charging more and making less. Now I am charging less and making more.

DMlandscaping
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't think there is a right or wrong market to pursue, it has a lot to do with where you're marketing. In my area, the middle class neighborhoods are paying ridiculously low prices. I don't know how some of these lawn services stay in business, except for the fact that they don't have fancy new equipment, and they keep their overhead low. I live in what I consider an "upper" middle class neighborhood, nothing fancy, but it's clean and everyone has their properties in nice shape. All of the properties here are around .4 acres, and the highest price anyone is paying is $20 per week for a cut, trim, edge, blow, and basic tree pruning. I just can't afford to compete with that, and I don't intend to. I have a good friend that is fairly well off financially, has about a .5 mil. home, sitting on about the same size property as ours. She pays her current service $65 per service, and say's they are one of the less expensive services in the area. Anyway, in MY area, it doesn't make any sense to compete with all the lowballers, when I can drive another mile up the road and find someone who doesn't mind paying a little extra for a quality job, and a company with a neat and clean appearance. I'm basically following the same business profile my partner in Tampa did, and adjusting for the area. Granted, I could be wrong, but I won't know if I don't try.

Ric
08-14-2012, 12:27 PM

I don't think there is a right or wrong market to pursue, it has a lot to do with where you're marketing.

I don't think Harvard Business College could say it any better. One of their big advantage is knowing what to reseach in a Market. But the bottom line is the more you know about your market the better able you are to have a sucessful business plan.

It is a bad time to be a start up business of any kind. The problem with the green Industry is every out of work guy is cutting grass. They just roll out the mower with no Marketing or business plan. Because they have no real marketing plan when they finally bid a job it is too cheap. Knowing this becomes part of your marketing plan and build your business to compete with it by being more professional. That doesn't mean full service.

Now my Mow & Go is actually Spray & Go or Fire Ant Control. I work the same middle class neighborhoods. Only exception is I now spray NON IRRIGATED yards instead of Fert & Squirt on Irrigated Fine Yards.

DMlandscaping
08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Too bad you're on the west coast, I need to network with a reputable spray op. Speaking of that, if anyone here is in PBC doing pest control, PM me. I have a couple I'm thinking about, but nothing is carved in stone yet.

Florida Gardener
08-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Too bad you're on the west coast, I need to network with a reputable spray op. Speaking of that, if anyone here is in PBC doing pest control, PM me. I have a couple I'm thinking about, but nothing is carved in stone yet.
I can prob set you up with someone...what's your main area of biz?
Posted via Mobile Device

DMlandscaping
08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
I can prob set you up with someone...what's your main area of biz?
Posted via Mobile Device

Right now we're concentrating on Wellington and Royal Palm Beach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!