PDA

View Full Version : When to walk away..

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Ok all.

So I sold a drip system a while back..I knew the H/O was a PITA but none the less I thought we could handle it..

We are watering a garden next to a house. Why is it next to a house because this person has no idea what they are doing. I kept my mouth shut.

Sold her on drip.. Noticed 1 area of the garden has a large amount good dirt the other has sand basically 4X15.. I put in 4 rows of drip in the sandy area and 3 rows in the good soil area..

She claims that there is not enough water going down... So I went there when I knew she wasn't around. Turned the zone on for 1 hour and it ripped..

I would say in this 4X15 foot area there is at least 45 feet of drip down..Over watered if anything.

Not enough water my @$$ The worst part is this one was for a friend of a friend...

So I call her, she tells me not enough I strongly disagree..

She asks me if i can throw water from the lawn to the house/garden. I say no its a standard practice not to throw water to a house, only from..

So, how am I supposed to water uniformly a garden area next to a house jam packed with different veggies varying in size?

I'm about to give her the $ back and tell her to find some hack who will soak her siding over head and then not properly water her plants.

/ rant

Mike Leary
08-04-2012, 06:51 PM
First mistake you made was not going by your gut feeling, which proved to be correct.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I totally agree..

working for friends or friends of friends can be deadly.

Mike Leary
08-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I totally agree..

working for friends or friends of friends can be deadly.

An oldfart I worked for years ago, once said, "never do business with your friends." It seemed c.s. at the time, but after a few "gone bad" experiences, I realized he was right.

Wet_Boots
08-04-2012, 07:34 PM
tell her to move the garden and then you'll continue discussions

Duekster
08-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I must be dense... what is the problem?

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-04-2012, 07:40 PM
drip went down>"coverage not there"> me spending a hour on personal time to watch drip working> Peace B1tch.

Duekster
08-04-2012, 07:47 PM
drip went down>"coverage not there"> me spending a hour on personal time to watch drip working> Peace B1tch.

That is my job :laugh:

If coverage is not there then you should be selling and getting a commision. If you did not reveiw that then shame on you. I never look at just one aspect of a job because it bites you.

Still not sure what the problem is based on your post. You are a smart guy.... You should identify all aspects and limit the scope of your work. If you did that then they are actually asking you to do more work.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-04-2012, 07:54 PM
I call it putting out fires.. I do it for my boss all the time..

I sell what I know works. It continues to work.

I more or less have limited choice of anything when it comes to design. I see what does work and what doesn't. I hate rings around plants but in my sandy soil it gets the short term taken care of.

On the fly I sell work for my boss and make him $$ doing it. Then I put it in. I give him a ton of personal time making sure I/we look good.. Checking an adjustment, or making sure a clock gets taken off a sod program. Sure I'll go above and beyond. I'm making more hours than anyone in my office for the past 3 months.

Do I see a lot of holes from time to time? More than you know.

mitchgo
08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm not fully sure what the problem is either heh.

What kind of drip was it? Why did you watch it for 1 hour? Just turn it on to make sure it's working and then explain to her that drip has it's name for a reason because it drips water at a low precip rate which is what it has a high run time. Also ask the question, is anything dieing?

Mike Leary
08-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Why did you watch it for 1 hour?

Some people cannot be satisfied, no matter what. Wonder if Eddie brought lawn chairs so he and the client could sit and watch the drip in comfort?

Duekster
08-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Some people cannot be satisfied, no matter what. Wonder if Eddie brought lawn chairs so he and the client could sit and watch the drip in comfort?

Been there done that. :cool2:

cjohn2000
08-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Have a job like that right now. New trees planted on top of a slope, no irrigation provided. Eventually the contractor put a hose bib run off another hose bib near the trees. So I say we can put in drip. I figure same size trees 2 1gph drippers per tree should work and the thing has been running 24/7 for over a month and she says she thinks its not watering. My irrigation mentor once told me 1 caliper inch = 1 gallon per week of water demand. And I know the feeling of going the extra mile for a boss even when coworkers dont. Spent 10 hours in a drive thru at MCD's replacing a cracked pipe in a sleeve and re-wiring.:dizzy:

Autoflow
08-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Tell her to improve the soil with manure and compost etc. If the soil can't hold water there isn't much point watering it... Get her to stand there with a hose on to see how quickly the water disappears so she gets the point.

Kiril
08-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Ok all.

So I sold a drip system a while back..I knew the H/O was a PITA but none the less I thought we could handle it..

We are watering a garden next to a house. Why is it next to a house because this person has no idea what they are doing. I kept my mouth shut.

Sold her on drip.. Noticed 1 area of the garden has a large amount good dirt the other has sand basically 4X15.. I put in 4 rows of drip in the sandy area and 3 rows in the good soil area..

She claims that there is not enough water going down... So I went there when I knew she wasn't around. Turned the zone on for 1 hour and it ripped..

I would say in this 4X15 foot area there is at least 45 feet of drip down..Over watered if anything.

Not enough water my @$$ The worst part is this one was for a friend of a friend...

So I call her, she tells me not enough I strongly disagree..

She asks me if i can throw water from the lawn to the house/garden. I say no its a standard practice not to throw water to a house, only from..

So, how am I supposed to water uniformly a garden area next to a house jam packed with different veggies varying in size?

I'm about to give her the $ back and tell her to find some hack who will soak her siding over head and then not properly water her plants.

/ rant

You should have put two zones in.

Dripit good
08-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Not everyone can deal with difficult people. Look at this as a challenge, and a perfect opportunity to hone your negotiation skills Capt'n.

Calc out how much water is being applied in this small area each minute, half hour, and hour, and inform her of this. Assure her that she has the most efficient and even delivery system for her garden, and her plants will thank her and thrive because of this.

Educate her on her location choice. If she doesn't have full sun all day for the garden...it's not an ideal location. It will be hard not to be critical about it if you let your emotions get the better of you.

If she want's something addition done, tell her you'd be more than happy to do it for her. It's an upsell, which = more $$. Simply caution her that you recommend against this and educate her on the reasons why. If she still wants to move forward with it...do it. It's not the end of the world.

When talking to a woman, I make a point of calling them ma'am as often as possible...no matter their age. This will disarm most of them. They seem to believe most males will take advantage of them because of their own insecurities and issues.

Just because she wants something stupid doesn't mean you have to compromise what you know is right. Just give a disclaimer and give her what she wants.

Make her feel like she "won". This is what she wants.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I suppose she can "win".

She is going to pay me to rip it out, and then pay me to rot her garden..She is also watering her turf once a day...Mushrooms coming out..Not suprised the dollar spot is rampant..

I'll do what ever she wants me to do... prices just went up though.

ArTurf
08-05-2012, 11:45 AM
How long is she running the drip zone? She may be thinking she can run it the same as a spray zone.

Here is way I convice people there is sufficient water going down. Water the zone for the correct time and then simply take a shovel and pull up a clump of dirt and show them the moisture level. Many times that shuts them up. Of course there are some people that unless the area is in standing water there is not enough.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-05-2012, 11:51 AM
AR- thats more of the issue...after I've calmed down im going to tell her to run it longer..

I think he prefers a overbearing flood in the middle of the day than proper water @ the proper time..