PDA

View Full Version : 2-way radios

bucktail
08-16-2000, 01:16 AM
I am currently using nextel service and have gotten fed up with the poor cellular aspect of it,I am constantly dropping calls and its expensive,am considering using a more affordable cellular service and getting 2-ways. If anyone has some information or suggestions about 2-way cost,reliability,range,model choice ect.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

yardsmith
08-16-2000, 02:31 AM
Try considering Sprint PCS. No contract, just pay month by month, better rate plans, coverage, etc.
As far as 2-ways go, we use the Motorola FR50's. Up to a 2 mile range, 1 mile in town with trees & bldgs., etc. & 14 channels for $75 at Sam's club. They have real good reception with out stepping up to the big time walkie-talkies.

Jay Beckman
08-16-2000, 03:23 AM
I currently use nextel myself. We used to use the motorola 2 ways with about a 40 mile radius but the clarity would get fuzzy after about 20. I personaly love the direct connect feature the nextel has and the digital clarity is exceptional. I guess it all depends on the area you're in and what your specific range requirements are.Sorry, not much help:(

FIREMAN
08-16-2000, 09:56 AM
I USE TWO MOTOROLA P-200 PORTABLES THAT I GOT WHEN MY FD UPGRADED TO A NEW RADIO SYSTEM.. THESE WORK OK HOWEVER THEY ARE REALLY MOST USEFUL FOR THE JOBSITE NOT SO GREAT ON RANGE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A DECENT RANGE WITH A QUALITY SOUND YOU WILL NEED MOBILE RADIOS(TRUCK MOUNTED) AND THE FCC LISCENCE TO GO WITH THEM. THESE ARE NOT CHEAP AND ARE ONLY USEFUL WHEN YOU ARE IN THE TRUCK. IF YOU RELY HEAVILY ON THE DIRECT CONNECT PART OF THE NEXTEL PHONES YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE RANGE WITH REGULAR RADIOS.

little green guy
08-16-2000, 10:31 AM
I know theres a cellular company that offers like a group type of thing. It's kinda like the nextels exept you dial a phone # to one of the other phones in the plan. You can call between phones for a set charge or whatever. Another company I worked for has it. Not sure what cellular company it is, I'll find out but it's probly different in diffrent areas.

ant
08-17-2000, 10:11 PM
I DROPED NEX-TEL WHEN I STOPED CUTTING LAST YR. IF I HAD A CREW I WOULD GET A FAMILY CELL PLAIN THAT YOU CAN TALK PHONE TO PHONE AT NO AIR TIME CHARGE

Kent Lawns
08-17-2000, 10:27 PM
The digitizer on the i500 (now 550), i700 and i2000 is better than the one in the i1000 because of size contraints. Switching to one of the larger phones will help the cellular aspect of the service.

SLC1
08-17-2000, 10:38 PM
Our company currently uses two way radios. We are very happy with the service. We have five truck mounted units and two handhelds. For all seven units it cost about $4,000.00 installed.The radios are then billed out for $12.00 per month per radio for the repeater rental. We can go about 75 miles and get clear transmission and reception. And our radios also have a two channel feature that we can switch to when we are close to each other or in the same parking lot. I have not tried the Nextels but I have about four friends that have them and most of them are not happy about the service. The feature I like about the radios is that is unlimited use and there are no time amounts to worry about. Yes sometimes and in some areas our radios do not work all that great but over all they do the trick and save us money in being able to constantly stay in touch.

Lanelle
08-18-2000, 03:44 AM
Our company uses both Nextel and two-way radios. The mowing division uses the two-way because most of their communication needs are internal-company. The landscape division uses the Nextel since there are many more times that they need to talk to a client or supplier as well as other company employees. So, pros and cons: Two-way lacks the privacy of nextel. Everyone has to be very careful not to discuss sensitive issues on the two-way and when one guy rests his knee on the transmit button, the whole company can hear his blaring radio music and whatever else is happening in the truck cab. :) The nextel is portable so its more useful to communicate with the guys that aren't in their truck much. With the nextel, a landscape foreman can communicate with the designers regardless of where they may be since they also carry nextels. This helps to solve problems quickly. During plowing season, the two-way provides a sense of comraderie since each driver tends to be alone. If someone needs help, everyone hears the call and the closest truck can easily respond. I like the e-mail and voice mail features on the nextel. No two-way has that.:)

bucktail
08-18-2000, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info kentlawns will definately look into that. quality 2-way is EXPENSIVE I could pay nextel $35 for unlimited direct connect(no cellular) for a long time before I spend $2000 on a radio that has limited range!!

Just to let everyone know down here nextel is running a promotion buy one get one free so you can get 2 i500's for $99.

greenflag
08-18-2000, 11:52 AM
We use Nextel and I'm not wild about the cellular service area, but they are always adding new towers in my area.(North Texas) As far as the two way I must say I am impressed. My cousin radioed me from Galveston (Texas coast) to my house about 40 miles from Dallas, and it was very clear. The idea about the direct connect time sounds good to me.

Keep on cutting.

jimsmowin
08-18-2000, 12:06 PM
if your the owner you can't do with out cellar. we use 2-way radio's on reapeter works very well and you can talk all you want. works well for snow removal too.we have 1-base 2 mobiles and 2 portables. alot cheaper than cell phones. spent over 1300.00 last year on phones, bought 3 radios installed for 1300.00. shop around! had prices as high as 3000.00. shop!

southside
08-20-2000, 04:56 AM
This might sound dumb. What is Nextel? We don't have it over here.

Karl

Lanelle
08-23-2000, 10:07 AM
Karl,
Here's the web site: http://www.nextel.com
I'm no expert but basically it is a cellular phone service that also has a private two-way radio feature to talk to others on your account and e-mail messaging and a local network to call other contractors easily. Some of these features have a monthly fee but no time fees. So one piece of equipment does several things.

Kent Lawns
08-23-2000, 11:10 AM
Close, Lanelle.

It's actually a 2-way radio that also has telephone features. (That is how it's registered with the FCC.)