PDA

View Full Version : Window Box Business Ideas

lawnsaspire
08-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I hope this is the right section for this. I've been thinking of a secondary business to operate in addition to my lawncare service that would help out during the winter months and slow periods. I want to start a general woodworking business where I make keepsake boxes and small children's furniture. But the main part of this business would be making, installing, and maintaining window boxes. I think they are such an attractive addition to a home, but I've noticed that barely any of the houses around here have them, not even the historical or well-kept mansions. My idea was to use time making the window boxes during the winter and selling them during the warmer months. But I would also offer to maintain the boxes for the clients, adding and removing the appropriate plants for each season. Here's my biggest thought: Could I also offer to maintain them during winter and plant winter blooming or evergreen plants so as to add a nice bit of greenery during the cold months? I've read about many flowers that will even bloom in the winter where I am in Zone 5. I don't really want to get into growing flowers myself so I'm wondering if there is a local supplier I could look to during the winter to provide me with plants to do this. Also I've read about some people placing the window boxes on the inside of a kitchen or living room window during the winter with flowers that will grow during that time. I was just wondering if anyone deals with window boxes as part of their business and what comments or advice you may have about my ideas. Thanks very much!

kirk1701
08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Think what your looking for lawnsaspire is craft shows. I used to live in your neck of the woods, Crystal Lake, Ill. and did the craft shows from March till November.

Back when I did it there was no such thing as google or the internet for that matter so only took me a couple a minutes to find what I think you need.

Get in contact with a promoter so you can get applications for the shows you would like to get into.

http://www.stepbysteppromotions.com/

Also found this, with a list of shows.
http://www.artscraftsshowbusiness.com/shows.aspx?state=IL

Good luck, there's money to be made, we did it and came home with $5k a weekend but your working your ass off all week making product to sell.