PDA

View Full Version : Multi-App Program Help

Northern Turf Man
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Hey guys,

I'm up in Northern Maine, and am looking to start setting up a Multi-App fert/weed control program for next summer. I am already licensed and insured. I just recently got licensed, but am in college for horticulture and turf management so I am constantly gaining plant knowledge.

Being that I am so far North, spring green-up usually only occurs in late April-early May, with the first mowing falling right around May 15. We have not experience the extensive grub damage that the southern part of Maine has the past few years, and from what I have seen disease is not a major issue up here.

So, just looking to see what you guys recommend for a program. (Number of apps, when, what)

Also, do you recommend granular weed n feed, or straight liquid weed control? I am leaning towards all liquid, but just looking for input.

Also, how do you tailor your standard program to each individual yard's soil test results?

Any input would be much appreciated!

RAlmaroad
08-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Been up there around Greenville and Lake Sebec. Beautiful beyond any postcard. We were out on the water.
I have a house in TN and regularly work with fescue and bluegrass. I'm guessing that fescue is your main turf. If any weeds are an issue, start by using a pre-em about a month before greenup. With those winters it is difficult for us southern guys to recommend when as you will have to time it according to your climate and growing season. A good choice is to use that soil test to guide you on the amount of fertilize and what to use. Generally most granulars will give out around 6-8 weeks; less if a lot of rainfall. I prefer all liquid and apply my fertilize and weed control at the same time. If your pH is slightly acidic then your lime product will take some 90 days to activate in the soil. Again you know your climate and soil conditions. In TN we apply lime in the late autumn so that it is ready for use in the spring. Just watch your grass and less fertilize is better than too much. You can always add more but can't remove it.
Good luck with your endeavors, Fisheries and Lobster traps, and of course beautiful scenery.
Roy

Smallaxe
08-06-2012, 05:34 PM
One of the most common errors done on northern turf is for CG preventer being put down months before CG will even begin to germinate... another problem is applying N to Springtime turf, forcing the top growth, burning up the stored carbohydrates, at the expense of springtime root development...
The large squirt&fert guys, like TGCL, do this for the money and evertone believes it is the correct thing to do becuz the 'big boys' do it that way...

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Subscribing...

I'm relatively new to this service too. I have started with a basic 5 step program this season that includes pre-emerg, broadleaf, fert apps. Lime and grub treatments are available but not included. Timing is the hardest part to figure out. I use granular fert and liquid weed control, but am slowly trying out liquid fert as well. Feel free to give me a call or private message, bud - I'd be glad to chat or help out if I can.

Jason

Northern Turf Man
08-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks for input guys....sorry its taken so long to reply to this, haven't been on the forums for a bit. Jason, I may be getting in contact with you once the season is through. Seeing as you are in Maine as well, I'd like to discuss timing & products with you, seeing as our seasons seem so much shorter than all the other chemical lawn care companies out there.