PDA

View Full Version : stick edgers or walk behind edgers

Jay Beckman
08-16-2000, 02:01 AM
My forman and I have a never ending arguement on which style of power edger is best.I prefer the standard walk behind where as he prefers the stick edger. Before I buy my next edger how about some feed-back.:)

TGCummings
08-16-2000, 02:05 AM
I've used a WB edger my whole mowing life (17 years, since I was 15 y.o.), but my next edger will be a stick edger. It appears the speed/maneuverability factor will save me several minutes a job, and that adds up... ;)

-TGC

Keith
08-16-2000, 02:47 AM
I guess it really depends on what you're doing. Here, in central Florida, we edge pretty much every week, so a stick edger is the best way to go. If you don't edge all that often and you have to deal with heavy over-growth on drives and walks, the push edger is probably best.

Guido
08-16-2000, 06:35 AM
I agree with JAY and TGC on this one, they covered why each is better than the other.

The point I want to bring up is if its your foreman and employees that are going to be using it than you should get equipment that they are comfortable with using, so they'll be happy with it. It'll get the job done a lot better, I gurantee it!!

I know some companies, as a morale booster and to make their employees feel more like a part of the team, they let them have a major role in choosing new equipment. I wouldn't let it go too far, but if you narrow the decision down to a couple machines, it wouldn't hurt to let your foreman decide which one to purchase.

Just my 2 cents!

new lawn
08-16-2000, 09:31 PM
I use a stick edger and love it! I can run behing the thing. Saves lots of time! I run with a Lesco 2500, if you get one make sure to remove the spark arester located in the muffler (looks like a screen) It will get clogged and reduce hp. Blades are easy and quick to replace! That's just my 2 cents worth----hope it helps.

bob
08-16-2000, 09:52 PM
Walk behind for tough stuff. Stick edger for touch-up.

raymow
08-16-2000, 10:45 PM
ditto: bob's reply.

ChrisYanik
08-17-2000, 02:54 PM
One thing you should consider when choosing a stick edger over a walk behind edger is the machine's life span. Obviously you'll get many more hours of use with a well built walk behind edger were-as the 2-cycle engine on a stick edger will wear out faster.

I've used both types of edgers and both have there pro's and con's but for the most part......I think i'd prefer the stick edger over the walk behind edger.

Jay Beckman
08-17-2000, 08:22 PM
THANKS EVERYBODY!!! Looks like I have to stick my tail between my legs and tell my foreman were getting a stick edger.At least they're cheaper:)

YLC1
08-18-2000, 12:07 AM
I agree with Bob on the use of the edgers. Has anyone got any info on Stevens Edgers? I know they are available on Walkers and Hustlers.I want to try and adapt one to Toro Z-Master.