PDA

View Full Version : how to kill these 2 weeds? PLEASE HELP

00bolt
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
my backyard has been taken over with these 2 weeds. I live in Texas and my yard is a mixture of st. augustine and bermuda. Im hoping the st. augustine will eventually completely take over as its already about 60%.

that being said, i have had a hard time trying to figure out what to put down that wont kill the st. augustine. i put down some altrazine about a month ago and it browned up the bermuda pretty bad and killed some of the clovers, etc. but didnt do anything for these 2 things.

i have attached a few pictures. the one stuff looks like a green onion and stays in little clumbs of 4-5 blades and grows tall pretty quick.
the other stuff is a different color green, kinda darker and stays low and spreads out wide.

any ideas on what I can put down to kill these things? Anyone know the name of what they are?

FoghornLeghorn
08-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Atrazine and Sedgehammer

Ric
08-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Atrazine and Sedgehammer

Nope Atrazine is not going to work. Try again.

v6rs97
08-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Is the second picture crab grass? Acclaim?

cgaengineer
08-07-2012, 05:51 AM
A homeowner with St Augustine is an accident waiting to happen.

Don't know much about SA, but I do know that Celcius is one chemical labeled for use on some cultivars of SA.
Posted via Mobile Device

bug-guy
08-07-2012, 06:52 AM
celcius and sedgehammer. you might have to try earlier in the yr and get on a pre-m program

joe

Florida Gardener
08-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Is the second picture crab grass? Acclaim?

Yes second pic is CG. Don't know if Celsius will work on that variety though...
Posted via Mobile Device

00bolt
08-07-2012, 12:46 PM
thanks for your help guys.

Will any nutsedge killer from a big box store work or should I order the sedgehammer from amazon or somewhere online?

As for the other stuff, possibly crabgrass... is there anything else I can get other than the celsius that might work? Looking online, that stuff looks to be over $100 and thats more than I want to spend on my backyard to kill some weeds. My front yard is all bermuda and i still have some old msma that works wonders, wish it wouldnt kill the SA.

Ric
08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
thanks for your help guys.

Will any nutsedge killer from a big box store work or should I order the sedgehammer from amazon or somewhere online?

As for the other stuff, possibly crabgrass... is there anything else I can get other than the celsius that might work? Looking online, that stuff looks to be over $100 and thats more than I want to spend on my backyard to kill some weeds. My front yard is all bermuda and i still have some old msma that works wonders, wish it wouldnt kill the SA.

You might want to convert your Back yard to all Bermuda. Bermuda is easier to weed control and popular in most of Texas. You can get improved varieties of common Bermuda that will establish by seed. From the present look of you yard, there doesn't seem to be a lot of St Augustine.

Kylec3
08-07-2012, 03:39 PM
yellow nutsedge and crabgass... our two main summer weeds up here...use sedge hammer...itll do the best job on the nutsedge....i use drive up here for crabgrass or q4 but this is on cool season grass...not sure whats labeled for st aug.

00bolt
08-07-2012, 05:59 PM
actually about 60%+ of my backyard is st. augustine and alot of it is in really good shape and real thick and pretty, but there is a decent little section that is just a mess with all this junk in it and the st. augustine is not thriving..

i guess next year i could just kill it all and put down some bermuda seed and then go with that.. but i just really like the SA :(

The Skeeter Defeater
08-07-2012, 08:13 PM
use drive 75

cgaengineer
08-07-2012, 08:17 PM
You might want to convert your Back yard to all Bermuda. Bermuda is easier to weed control and popular in most of Texas. You can get improved varieties of common Bermuda that will establish by seed. From the present look of you yard, there doesn't seem to be a lot of St Augustine.

If ya can't beat it, join it. No sense in overworking yourself to a Turfgrass that is tougher to maintain.
Posted via Mobile Device

gqnine44
08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
You guys are still Sedgehammer lovers? Do you like just teasing the Nutsedge? We havent bought Sedgehammer in forever.

Dismiss or Solitaire will knock it out.

mclanc85
08-17-2012, 03:40 PM
I found Soiltare works better then the hammer.