PDA

View Full Version : $29 Irrigation System check, what would you do?

adam.neusbaum
08-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm already locating & flagging sprinkler heads before aerating in a retirement community of 35,000+ homes so it only makes sense to offer a system check. So besides checking coverage, leaks & setting the clock precisely what else should I include for $29. For those grown-over heads I figure $1/each to clean out. Your thoughts please since I wasn't successful with the search box.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenmonster304
08-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Charge more
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
08-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Charge more
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. I charge $75 for a system check/diagnosis.
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
08-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Fair-rate would be?
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
08-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Anywhere from 50-100
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
08-06-2012, 11:30 PM
for twenty-nine bucks, I wouldn't even put a sticker (http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/7103/nebssticker1.jpg) on the controller :nono:

adam.neusbaum
08-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Ok great! Now for a catchy phone #: 1-800-Bed-Wetter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
08-06-2012, 11:41 PM
The low-lifes like to pimp the youngsters, happened to me, until I got experienced, and wise. ;)

ArTurf
08-06-2012, 11:46 PM
I usually charge $50 or more. But if you are already there and have the remote hooked up to flag the heads for aerating and the systems are not that big then I might go for a lower price.

If I did go $29 I would just spot problems: breaks, clogged nozzles, heads too low and etc. (double flag these) and then give the customer an estimate for the repair. Might throw in a simple arc adjustment if the head were in good shape.

What are you cleaning out for $1?

adam.neusbaum
08-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Just cleaning out the donuts for $1/each, mmm' donuts.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
08-07-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm already locating & flagging sprinkler heads before aerating in a retirement community of 35,000+ homes so it only makes sense to offer a system check. So besides checking coverage, leaks & setting the clock precisely what else should I include for $29. For those grown-over heads I figure $1/each to clean out. Your thoughts please since I wasn't successful with the search box.
Posted via Mobile Device

Considerd Franchising?
Posted via Mobile Device

easy-lift guy
08-07-2012, 06:04 AM
For a $1.50 per head I would use my product to trim all if the grass and debrie away from each head or sprinkler head first. Than run thru each zone adjusting the ark,flow and trajectory of each head. Once all of the heads/ VBC's have been exposed everything else is completed pretty fast. This service is offered once a month here in SW Florida due to our year round growing season. www.tastrimmer.com is the product if any one wants to work smarter instead of harder. BTW, the product will not damage the sprinkler heads
Only the operator has that ability or inability. All the best.
easy-lift guy

muddywater
08-07-2012, 09:09 AM
35,000 homes? It might be worth a shot at $29. I wouldnt touch a sprinkler for that, but would be an excellent opportunity to sell work if your not booked out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
If you are charging the $39.00 to flag and do a general check because you are there to aerate then that is fine.

Way too cheap to roll a truck and check.

txirrigation
08-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Just remember, they are going to expect a perfectly working system after your done. You might be buying 35,000 headaches.

irritation
08-08-2012, 04:53 PM
35,000+ homes @ $29.00 ea. + $1.00 ea. to clean around hundreds of thousands of sprinkler heads = my only client and I'm moving in.:laugh:

Irrigation Contractor
08-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I have a retirement community we work in right now with 800 plus homes.

The initial thought was that with them being retired they would be more relaxed and easy going. I can honestly say some have actually been the worst of the worst to a point where we turn them loose. Once we turn them away, they want to argue even more??

I had one resident call threatening to sue us if her or her husband tripped pulling a garden hose around the yard. This is a person that was not a even a client yet, and never became one either.

My advice, think twice and instead of being cheaper in this situation do the opposite.

Mike Leary
08-08-2012, 10:15 PM
I have a retirement community we work in right now with 800 plus homes.

The initial thought was that with them being retired they would be more relaxed and easy going. I can honestly say some have actually been the worst of the worst to a point where we turn them loose. Once we turn them away, they want to argue even more??

I had one resident call threatening to sue us if her or her husband tripped pulling a garden hose around the yard. This is a person that was not a even a client yet, and never became one either.

My advice, think twice and instead of being cheaper in this situation do the opposite.
What he said; I never realized how many retired "irrigation pros" lived in those places.:dizzy:

Weekend cut easymoney
08-08-2012, 10:19 PM
we got few takers over several years for our residential contract customers offering a $35 check--upping the rate and offering a 'system check' ,adjustments, programming timer for 100 bucks seems a better way to go --

1idejim
08-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Ever notice that people don't feel that a dollar day is too much to pay for even the simplest of services?

$30 is way too cheap to even drive to a customers house once but $365 may be sellable for marking heads and boxes, field inspection of the zones and periodic controller tuning throvghout the season.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
08-08-2012, 11:48 PM
I really like the looks of both those trimmers, will check them out at gie....saw u there last year.For a $1.50 per head I would use my product to trim all if the grass and debrie away from each head or sprinkler head first. Than run thru each zone adjusting the ark,flow and trajectory of each head. Once all of the heads/ VBC's have been exposed everything else is completed pretty fast. This service is offered once a month here in SW Florida due to our year round growing season. www.tastrimmer.com is the product if any one wants to work smarter instead of harder. BTW, the product will not damage the sprinkler heads
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-08-2012, 11:52 PM
I can see it for golf heads i guess. But there is no way in hell i would put 50 holes in my turf. I prefer not to see sprinkler heads.

easy-lift guy
08-09-2012, 06:18 AM
For a $1.50 per head I would use my product to trim all if the grass and debrie away from each head or sprinkler head first. Than run thru each zone adjusting the ark,flow and trajectory of each head. Once all of the heads/ VBC's have been exposed everything else is completed pretty fast. This service is offered once a month here in SW Florida due to our year round growing season. www.tastrimmer.com is the product if any one wants to work smarter instead of harder. BTW, the product will not damage the sprinkler heads
easy-lift guy

I really like the looks of both those trimmers, will check them out at gie....saw u there last year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, will not be at the GIE this year. Send me your address via pm if you want to try one anyway on me.
easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy
08-09-2012, 06:28 AM
I can see it for golf heads i guess. But there is no way in hell i would put 50 holes in my turf. I prefer not to see sprinkler heads.

Depends on ones perspective. Here in SW Florida the birth place of the product the need to have all heads in turf areas exposed and accessible is critical from a maintenance standpoint. Our turf types and year round growing
season depend on the TAS Trimmer.
Ted
President-CEO
TAS Industries Inc.

Flow Control
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
The initial thought was that with them being retired they would be more relaxed and easy going.??

:laugh:LMAO............

Don't make that same mistake about stay at home parents either.

Mike Leary
08-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Depends on ones perspective. Here in SW Florida the birth place of the product the need to have all heads in turf areas exposed and accessible is critical from a maintenance standpoint. Our turf types and year round growing
season depend on the TAS Trimmer.
Ted
President-CEO
TAS Industries Inc.

I like that lash-up. For years, I thought about adapting a small and large "cookie cutter" to a power head, looks like you've come up with something.
I can't remember on your video, does it have two sizes, for rotors and sprays?

jvanvliet
08-09-2012, 02:06 PM
35,000 homes and a system check for $29.00?

I got communities with a lot less than 35,000 homes. C'mon down; I'll let you do all of their system checks for $29... hell why be a piker? I'll round it up to $30.

System check must mean something different up there.

txirrigation
08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Retired means this:

Now I have all day to inspect your work, and since I paid you a dollar I OWN YOUR AZZ FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

I have an "Ask about our senior discount" line on all of our adds. This is because they are all cheap and lead with,"How much of a discount do you give for seniors?" This is when I tell them 10% which I note on the bid form so that the project manager knows to add 30% before he takes the 10% off. Retired guys are by far the worst customers as a whole, we have had a few good ones though.

adam.neusbaum
08-09-2012, 06:49 PM
I witnessed a retired couple totally trash talk our local Wendy's because they didn't offer a senior discount & because the Jr.Bacon went off special from 99¢ to $1.29. Afterward I followed them out & struck up a conversation over their 2012 Subaru SUV. Unaware of my intentions he went on & on over the features & "They don't give 'em away" price details. In the end I declared how I couldn't help but notice how they were so troubled over Wendy's lack of senior discount & such and I just it might do me good to know what these folks were all about. I suggested that maybe I should take note on how to save so that I might one day own such a nice vehicle. The lavish lifestyle i'm
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
08-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I witnessed a retired couple totally trash talk our local Wendy's because they didn't offer a senior discount & because the Jr.Bacon went off special from 99¢ to $1.29. Afterward I followed them out & struck up a conversation over their 2012 Subaru SUV. Unaware of my intentions he went on & on over the features & "They don't give 'em away" price details. In the end I declared how I couldn't help but notice how they were so troubled over Wendy's lack of senior discount & such and it just might do me good to know what these folks were all about. I suggested that maybe I should take note on how to save so that I might one day own such a nice vehicle. The lavish lifestyle i'm leading with my thoughtless $3.75 chili & burger order i'll probably never get there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
There is no doubt that the generation that committed so much in WW 2 deserved so much of our gratitude. Most of them are however now dead.

muddywater
08-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I actually like working for retired folks. They can appreciate hard work. In fact several of my reitred clients have referred me to tens of thousands of dollars worth of work. And usually by the end of the project, they are clients for life. And you will never get a bounced check from them.

I think the $29 thing is worth a try. I am the estimator for my company, and sometimes i will do system checks for free. Last week i sold an $850 repair job, a $750 insurance claim job for a controller and a couple solenoids, a $300 controller, another $900 insurance job.

Once your on site, it gives you a leg up. If you are backed up 1 month... its probably not in your interest.

Duekster
08-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I actually like working for retired folks. They can appreciate hard work. In fact several of my reitred clients have referred me to tens of thousands of dollars worth of work. And usually by the end of the project, they are clients for life. And you will never get a bounced check from them.

I think the $29 thing is worth a try. I am the estimator for my company, and sometimes i will do system checks for free. Last week i sold an $850 repair job, a $750 insurance claim job for a controller and a couple solenoids, a $300 controller, another $900 insurance job.

Once your on site, it gives you a leg up. If you are backed up 1 month... its probably not in your interest.

I understand that too. I stay backed up most of the spring and early summer. I could run a special in late summer and late winter.

Good point.

irritation
08-09-2012, 08:43 PM
There is no doubt that the generation that committed so much in WW 2 deserved so much of our gratitude. Most of them are however now dead.

Yea, Ive talked to many customers over the years about that war. Some break out crying. Our generation has never seen anything like it or the factories that helped win that war.

Duekster
08-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Yea, Ive talked to many customers over the years about that war. Some break out crying. Our generation has never seen anything like it or the factories that helped win that war.

Those folks earned it. Again most are in their late 80's or more if not gone.

easy-lift guy
08-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I like that lash-up. For years, I thought about adapting a small and large "cookie cutter" to a power head, looks like you've come up with something.
I can't remember on your video, does it have two sizes, for rotors and sprays?

Mike I have 10 different models on the market covering every known model of sprinkler head presently on the market. The TAS Trimmer fits on any straight shaft line trimmer on the market. It is classified as a brush cutter attachment.
The TT will not work with a bent shaft line trimmer, or an electric line trimmer. Most users will leave the TT on their back up line trimmer so at least if their mainstay line trimmer takes a powder the back up line trimmer can be converted usually in 30 seconds and your back to work. I believe I may have received a call from someone in your neck of the woods but no message was left? Call tomorrow and I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have. All the best
easy-lift guy

irritation
08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I would never have time to use that during spring start ups. Plus keep it and attachments on the truck.

grassman177
08-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Those folks earned it. Again most are in their late 80's or more if not gone.

my grandpa is one of the many of the last WW2 vets. barely but still kicking.:usflag:

easy-lift guy
08-09-2012, 10:29 PM
I would never have time to use that during spring start ups. Plus keep it and attachments on the truck.

I understand. I at one time worked much harder as well, than I chose to work smarter. I have never looked back and continue to look forward.
I wish you the best.
easy-lift guy

irritation
08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I understand. I at one time worked much harder as well, than I chose to work smarter. I have never looked back and continue to look forward.
I wish you the best.
easy-lift guy

I don't think it's that. You live in an area where you can service year-round even when you're slow. Come up with crap that might make you money.

hoskm01
08-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Gave someone in Phoenix an idea...

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/576/deals/403776-sprinkler-system-maintenance-package

adam.neusbaum
08-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Wow, saves me all that time of putting an ad together. Thanks for the link!
Posted via Mobile Device

irritation
08-10-2012, 12:05 AM
I always hate when they try to come back. I'm not sure what to say.

1idejim
08-10-2012, 01:09 AM
I always hate when they try to come back. I'm not sure what to say.

Sad to see a few screw the whole industry. Ya gotta love the race to the bottom though
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
08-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Wow, saves me all that time of putting an ad together. Thanks for the link!
Posted via Mobile Device

I think LS gets 1/2 the ad money.

Those clowns, social / coupons and such want you to offer sevices for 50 to 70% off normal to sell the coupon and then give them 1/2 of the coupon money.

This person will be lucky to put 15 in his pocket before GTO and taxes.

greenmonster304
08-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Gave someone in Phoenix an idea...

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/576/deals/403776-sprinkler-system-maintenance-package

At those prices I will sub them out to service my places and I will go to the beach.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-10-2012, 06:58 AM
I wish you the best.
easy-lift guy

I work even smarter. I leave them hidden in lush beautiful grass.