PDA

View Full Version : Licensing of Lawn and Ornamental Pesticide Applicators in Florida

Emerald Coasting
08-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Two questions-

1. I've sprayed under someone for alittle over three years but it was two different people at two different companies. Do both guys have to sign off on me so I can take the test?

2. On the Application it asks for 45 documented cases of you applying a pesticide. Does Roundup, Fusillade,Imagine,Scythe, Ant bait count towards these?

Thanks

Ric
08-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Two questions-

1. I've sprayed under someone for alittle over three years but it was two different people at two different companies. Do both guys have to sign off on me so I can take the test?

2. On the Application it asks for 45 documented cases of you applying a pesticide. Does Roundup, Fusillade,Imagine,Scythe, Ant bait count towards these?

Thanks

IMHO If you don't know the answer after 3 years, you aren't ready to take the test.

Emerald Coasting
08-07-2012, 04:40 AM
on the Application it just says pesticides. not selective or non selective herbicides which i listed in my post. the only two pesticides ive ever used would be crosscheck and ant bait. but thanks for the reply Ric. I'll get a second opinion.

cgaengineer
08-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Anything that kills a pest, including a weed or bugs is considered a pesticide.

Herbicides and insecticide are both pesticides.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-07-2012, 05:48 AM
IMHO If you don't know the answer after 3 years, you aren't ready to take the test.

Come on ric, lighten up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Emerald Coasting
08-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the info cgaengineer.

cgaengineer
08-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the info cgaengineer.

Not a problem, glad to help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Anything that kills a pest, including a weed or bugs is considered a pesticide.

Herbicides and insecticide are both pesticides.
Posted via Mobile Device

Come on ric, lighten up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device.

You want me to lighten up when the man doesn't even know the definition of the word Pesticide after 3 years???? Why not just turn him lose with Agent Orange.

Ric
08-07-2012, 02:14 PM

IMHO there are 3 areas that must be studied before becoming a Pesticide Applicator. IN ORDER OF IMPORTANT they are.

First and foremost is your state LAW. You must first know what limitation and responsibility you have as a Applicator. Where and When you can apply Chemicals. Also the types of pesticides and their general use.

Second and no less important is Safety, Both personal and Public. Proper Pesticide handling along with the basic industry definitions and Terminology is a must.

Finally the Life cycle of PESTS. Only after proper ID can you Follow standard Protocol to control or suppress that pest in the least invasive method to the environment.

THEN AND ONLY AFTER MASTERING THESE THREE can you start to even look at chemicals with the intent on applying them.

Emerald Coasting
08-07-2012, 02:27 PM

IMHO there are 3 areas that must be studied before becoming a Pesticide Applicator. IN ORDER OF IMPORTANT they are.

First and foremost is your state LAW. You must first know what limitation and responsibility you have as a Applicator. Where and When you can apply Chemicals. Also the types of pesticides and their general use.

Second and no less important is Safety, Both personal and Public. Proper Pesticide handling along with the basic industry definitions and Terminology is a must.

Finally the Life cycle of PESTS. Only after proper ID can you Follow standard Protocol to control or suppress that pest in the least invasive method to the environment.

THEN AND ONLY AFTER MASTERING THESE THREE can you start to even look at chemicals with the intent on applying them.

Those are three really good guidelines i will follow as expand my knowledge in this field. Sounds like you'd be alot better teacher than the guys ive worked under in the past.

Ric
08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Those are three really good guidelines i will follow as expand my knowledge in this field. Sounds like you'd be alot better teacher than the guys ive worked under in the past.

You think it could be because I taught horticulture at a Fla. State College and I was a CEU provider?

WestGaPineStraw
08-07-2012, 09:13 PM
You think it could be because I taught horticulture at a Fla. State College and I was a CEU provider?

Face!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
08-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Isn't part of the application to show documentation of official training provided by the people you work under?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Isn't part of the application to show documentation of official training provided by the people you work under?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/onestop/forms/13665.pdf

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/onestop/forms/13662.pdf

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/onestop/forms/13325.pdf

gulfjoe
08-11-2012, 09:53 AM
As I read this post it makes me more and more intrigued about your professional careers. I live in a somewhat large neighborhood with 500+ homes and see lawn maintenance trucks in and out of here all day. Some of them are just the "good ole boys" yanking a trailer with some pretty shabby equipment, and then we have the MEGA lawn service guys with 65K worth of equipment. I have been pondering of starting a small neighborhood landscaping company on the side with just a select few clients. I would start them on a program and mow. But as I read more and more in you guys profession, this license thing seems pretty important, and i doubt some of these smaller Landscaping crews have them. I see them spraying and spreading all the time. So how hard is to get this license? How much OJT does it require? And how much does it cost?

I build Jet Engines for a living, lawncare is just a hobby, but if I could make a few bucks off of something I enjoy doing I will.

Ric
08-11-2012, 11:38 AM
As I read this post it makes me more and more intrigued about your professional careers. I live in a somewhat large neighborhood with 500+ homes and see lawn maintenance trucks in and out of here all day. Some of them are just the "good ole boys" yanking a trailer with some pretty shabby equipment, and then we have the MEGA lawn service guys with 65K worth of equipment. I have been pondering of starting a small neighborhood landscaping company on the side with just a select few clients. I would start them on a program and mow. But as I read more and more in you guys profession, this license thing seems pretty important, and i doubt some of these smaller Landscaping crews have them. I see them spraying and spreading all the time. So how hard is to get this license? How much OJT does it require? And how much does it cost?

I build Jet Engines for a living, lawncare is just a hobby, but if I could make a few bucks off of something I enjoy doing I will.

Pesticide License in Georgia is about the same as most Yankee States. THEY GIVE THEM AWAY IN CRACKER JACK BOXES. But the Education curve to be a good applicator takes some time and study. Florida, Michigan and a few more States require years of work experience under an established Pesticide company in order to sit for a much harder test than the Cracker Jack States.

Now I am sorry but IMHO many of the basic stupid question I see on the Internet could be avoided if all states had a work experience requirement. I can't understand how people with no experience or education will jump into a technical field and think they will do a good job. They don't even know enough to ask their questions correctly.