PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail or Longer Gate?

fireman608
08-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I am getting rid of my current 6 1/2 x16 tandem axle trailer and downsizing to a 6x12 single axle because I am also going to purchase a 7x20 equipment trailer. My current ztr hangs up on the 16 ft with a 4 ft gate. Should I go with a dove tail or longer gate (5 ft) for the 12 ft trailer? Same price either decision. I am not in the lawn care business I just haul my mower a lot and I am tired of it hanging up. Thanks guys.

1998tahoe
08-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I would go with a dove tail and shorter gate. I used to have this same trouble with our race car, hanging the exhaust. With a five tail it makes it alot easier to get on and off.
Posted via Mobile Device

olde_blue
08-09-2012, 07:40 PM
With a 6x12 single axle, you might not need a dovetail. With a single axle, you can safely tow the tongue a couple of inches high of level, bringing the rear down lower, and causing no more dragging hazard than a dovetail. Also, depending on the weight of your truck and mower (and whether or not you have a second mower on the front of the trailer), the back of a single axle will tend to lever down more than a tandem when the weight of the mower is on the gate.

Woodman1
08-23-2012, 07:17 AM
I would definitely go with the dovetail. The longer the gate - the more weight you pick up EVERY time you lift the gate. If you gowith the dovetail and the shorter ramp you could put a set of springs at the base of the ramp - no more hanging up and no aching back at the end of the day.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-25-2012, 01:22 AM
I have a 21' triple axle gooseneck with 7K axles. I had a 5' tall split ramp built and even that length would not be enough to use it for mowers.