PDA

View Full Version : Small ornamental tree for shady area.

Kylec3
08-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Ok, so this picture is horrible..but hopefully you get the idea. Customer wants a small ornamental tree put in the corner of the house. Right now its overgrown with vinca vine and she wants that removed along with the stepping stones that used to be through there and a new bed made with a small ornamental tree planted and black mulch. Any ideas for what to put in there? Im thinking japanese red maple but will that handle the shade? its probably shaded 2/3rds of the day. It going to be located in the inward 'L" corner of the house with is blocked on the back two sides and then some big oaks on the left side. do you guys have any ideas or suggestions on what we could put in there? Want to give her a couple options to choose from.

UKHortCat
08-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm a big Patio Peach guy. Beautiful spring color and nice fall/winter look.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mahoney3223
08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Japanese maple do well in shade too

headz77
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Japanese maples are understory trees- they love the shade. Dogwood or Katsura would be nice options too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Steiner
08-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Serviceberry-

understory tree loves shade
bright white blooms before anything else
kids can't climb it
berries for birds and jam in june
translucent yellow to orange in the fall

one of my favorites
oh and its native and hardy as hell

-chris

Smallaxe
08-08-2012, 09:35 AM
If the 1/3 full sun is in the heat of the day, some of those choices may be stressed... morning sun is perfect for many things, while hot afternoon sun can be a constant problem... Just something to keep in mind when you place a "shade" tree... :)

Kylec3
08-08-2012, 07:39 PM
thanks for the responses guys...i kind of like the serviceberry tree...do they grow fast or no? i dont want something that is going to grow big or fast...also..what do you guys think about the eastern redbud.....considering weeping varieties also

gunsnroses
08-08-2012, 08:48 PM
if you are thinking redbud, checkout forest pansy....it is the one with black foliage, and a better understory tree than the green leaf. The thing with the jap maple is the price....you may have to buy a wittle bitty plant unless they are willing to spend some money and buy a larger plant....and that may be difficult to find depending on your local supply.

Groomer
08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
tree form hydrangea.